• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New and learning

Maz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hiya,

I am new to the forum and just looking for information really on looking after bearded dragons.
I am in the process of finding out and learning as much as I can regarding the best care . I have been looking at vivariums , I am looking at getting a wooden one so there is just the front glass , so he won’t get startled easily because the sides will be wood also.
i will be looking for a male, been looking at breeders via Facebook.
I quite like the leatherbacks but there are so many to choose from. I have a few questions so I thought here would be the perfect place to ask and get answers . Look forward to meeting and chatting to you all ,
Maz.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hiya,

I am new to the forum and just looking for information really on looking after bearded dragons.
I am in the process of finding out and learning as much as I can regarding the best care . I have been looking at vivariums , I am looking at getting a wooden one so there is just the front glass , so he won’t get startled easily because the sides will be wood also.
i will be looking for a male, been looking at breeders via Facebook.
I quite like the leatherbacks but there are so many to choose from. I have a few questions so I thought here would be the perfect place to ask and get answers . Look forward to meeting and chatting to you all ,
Maz.
I know you are not getting a "kit" but this has info for you as to what to buy for your tank and what NOT to buy -- its a guide for you so your not wasting your money --- please go over it and if you have any questions please come back and ask--- I would not shop on Facebook for dragons I can get you some names of reputable breeders if you like --

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Okay, lets start with the basics.

Enclosure: Must be at least 75 gallons. (I recommend upgrading to 120 gallons by the time they are an adult).
Bearded dragons can get up to two feet in length and they like to have the floor space.

Provide a hide both on the hot side and the cool side of the tank.

Basking & UVB: Basking spot should reach 110-115 degrees for babies and 100-105 degrees for adults.
UVB Light should NOT be a coil UVB bulb, they can give metabolic bone disease. You need a T5 Linear bulb. This should be placed at least 18" away from your dragon. The basking bulb should be placed 6-8" above the basking spot log.

Substrate: Refrain from using any sorts of sand as your dragon can become impacted. I think it is best to use non-adhesive shelf liner. It is cheap, easy to clean or replace, and you can buy it at any store like Walmart.

Lastly, provide lots of enrichment such as climbing logs, fake or real plants, things to do inside the enclosure.

Comment back any questions, this is just husbandry information. There is a lot more that goes into it such as their diets and supplements, handling them, humidity levels, and more. Just keep researching and asking questions. This forum will teach you a lot!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, lets start with the basics.

Enclosure: Must be at least 75 gallons. (I recommend upgrading to 120 gallons by the time they are an adult).
Bearded dragons can get up to two feet in length and they like to have the floor space.

Provide a hide both on the hot side and the cool side of the tank.

Basking & UVB: Basking spot should reach 110-115 degrees for babies and 100-105 degrees for adults.
UVB Light should NOT be a coil UVB bulb, they can give metabolic bone disease. You need a T5 Linear bulb. This should be placed at least 18" away from your dragon. The basking bulb should be placed 6-8" above the basking spot log.

Substrate: Refrain from using any sorts of sand as your dragon can become impacted. I think it is best to use non-adhesive shelf liner. It is cheap, easy to clean or replace, and you can buy it at any store like Walmart.

Lastly, provide lots of enrichment such as climbing logs, fake or real plants, things to do inside the enclosure.

Comment back any questions, this is just husbandry information. There is a lot more that goes into it such as their diets and supplements, handling them, humidity levels, and more. Just keep researching and asking questions. This forum will teach you a lot!
I pretty much agree w/ user bandit w/ the exception of basking temps - nothing over 110 for a baby- 105-110 temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- no stick ons--adults 95-100-- T 5 furthest away 15 inches- placement and distance is key and that depends on screen - please ask more questions