• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need to know (twitches, stiff and grows too quickly)

Mortykahleesirick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I have three bearded dragons ones two years old and two of them are male and female and they will be one year old around june or july. I got the two younger ones from a chain pet store. My oldest one and my one youngest are very healthy. one that I think she has a neurological disorder I'm not exactly sure. She does this twitch and I've been worried about it then her muscles would get stiff.

When she was growing ive seen her grow too quickly like in a month she doubled my males size it was a little worrisome. I've been feeding her usual crickets and super worms I've been trying to keep up on her veggies and calcium. I need some advise about this and some help finding out what this is please.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Are you able to take at least that one to a qualified vet?
Aside from that, if you can go over your temps, specific lighting, supplementation, and other husbandry here, and post some pictures of the beardies and their setups, people will be better able to advise you.

Mortykahleesirick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they're housed separately I havent got them vet certified yet the two younger ones were in a tank together for two weeks when I first got them things weren't working out so I separated them they were happy in their own tanks.

Mortykahleesirick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are all the dragons housed separately? If not you need to separate them all ---- if they are housed together one of them will not get the proper lighting they need to grow etc..................... dragons are territorial and one will take over all the basking areas food etc................. please post pics of the tanks and lighting

I know that from studying and personal experience with my oldest. She likes to go to their tanks and tries to show who's boss at their tanks

Mortykahleesirick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you able to take at least that one to a qualified vet?
Aside from that, if you can go over your temps, specific lighting, supplementation, and other husbandry here, and post some pictures of the beardies and their setups, people will be better able to advise you.
No they're not vet certified yet I've been meaning to.

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You mentioned a twitch--is it toes?

My late great Stevie Ray had twitchy toes. If you stroked the top or played with the claw while he was relaxed, especially the 2 longest toes on his hind feet would twitch for a minute or so.

Turns out this may have been related to a virus common in commercially bred beardies (as opposed to private collection breeding, I'm talking about the suppliers for the brokers the pet store chains buy from) called ADV. And ADV may have been part of why Stevie Ray didn't make it when he got sick. We couldn't afford a necropsy so we will never be sure, but the info I found on ADV certainly made it seem like a highly possible factor.

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I didn't know there's a blood test! That would certainly make it easy to find out if ADV is any part of the problem, and I'll be asking Goji's vet how much the testing costs.

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry i haven't been on long ive figured out what was wrong my beardie had mild stages of MBD
I had a beardie with pretty bad MBD. He lived to 9 years old (I’m pretty sure he died from cancer). My vet had me do physical therapy with him, and you are gonna wanna keep a close eye on her weight! Liquid/soft foods are ideal because MBD beardies sometimes have weak jaws. I suggest pumpkin, banana, greens, and I think Flukers has an insectivore liquid diet.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi I have three bearded dragons ones two years old and two of them are male and female and they will be one year old around june or july. I got the two younger ones from a chain pet store. My oldest one and my one youngest are very healthy. one that I think she has a neurological disorder I'm not exactly sure. She does this twitch and I've been worried about it then her muscles would get stiff.

When she was growing ive seen her grow too quickly like in a month she doubled my males size it was a little worrisome. I've been feeding her usual crickets and super worms I've been trying to keep up on her veggies and calcium. I need some advise about this and some help finding out what this is please.
Twitching is MBD take her to a vet ASAP!! She needs calcium shots and are u dusting the crickets with calcium 5 times a week? And he needs Reptisun 10.0 T5 UVB bulb ASAp amd the ZooMed basking bulb. But he needs a vet ASAP for MBD metabolic bone disease is what causes twitching all beardies need calcium and propped 12-14 Hot is of UVb:heat and I hope all beardies have their own tanks. U cannot keep a Beardie with another Beardie!!!

Mortykahleesirick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you guys so much for your help and support ive been giving him a lot of calcium every day when he was having that issue and I moved him by my window and he's doing a lot better now ive seen less and less twitching he's swimming around like normal again and im happy he's finally gotten better

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Is he showing any signs of "stargazing" (Staring straight up at nothing for long periods of time with an arched tail)? It is often a sign of neurological issues such as ADV in reptiles. Depending on where you got it from, the beardie in question may be inbred or the offspring of parents with a similar issue.
Twitching is sometimes a symptom of progressed MBD. It usually occurs after the other symptoms, such as a swollen jaw. However, it sounds like your beardie might have ADV and should get a blood test. ADV is a common cause of twitching, seizures, and stargazing.

Please quarantine any beardies with signs of AVD immediately! It is highly contagious and could spread to all of your beardies. Care for the healthy beardies first, then move on to the ones with possible ADV. Wash your hands thoroughly after tending to the beardies with possible ADV.

Mortykahleesirick

Bearded Dragon Egg
You mentioned a twitch--is it toes?

My late great Stevie Ray had twitchy toes. If you stroked the top or played with the claw while he was relaxed, especially the 2 longest toes on his hind feet would twitch for a minute or so.

Turns out this may have been related to a virus common in commercially bred beardies (as opposed to private collection breeding, I'm talking about the suppliers for the brokers the pet store chains buy from) called ADV. And ADV may have been part of why Stevie Ray didn't make it when he got sick. We couldn't afford a necropsy so we will never be sure, but the info I found on ADV certainly made it seem like a highly possible factor.
No its wasn't hist toes it was his legs

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I had a beardie with pretty bad MBD. He lived to 9 years old (I’m pretty sure he died from cancer). My vet had me do physical therapy with him, and you are gonna wanna keep a close eye on her weight! Liquid/soft foods are ideal because MBD beardies sometimes have weak jaws. I suggest pumpkin, banana, greens, and I think Flukers has an insectivore liquid diet.
U needed the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVb covering 70 percent of the tank!!! And a clear basking zoomed bulb for heat!!