• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some advice..

Spike'sMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had this beardie, Spike for a year now. He was a rescue. The person who had him before was given the wrong information on his care. He had him from a baby. He was told after a year to stop giving him crickets. When we got him he was very malnourished. We brought him back to good health. The last month, he is not drinking water like he used to. We have to hand feed him because he has a hunch back and can't get around well at all. He's been having a hard time even hand feeding him. He has days where he dosen't want to eat. My question is... Is it humane to keep him alive like this? I feel really bad for him, what kind of life is this for the poor guy. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
try something other then crickets, like wax worms,butter worms, silk worms. there soft bodied and easier to digest plus give moisture as well.

Alex Greene

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get him checked honestly though and to see at the bearded dragon vet I guess they call it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have had this beardie, Spike for a year now. He was a rescue. The person who had him before was given the wrong information on his care. He had him from a baby. He was told after a year to stop giving him crickets. When we got him he was very malnourished. We brought him back to good health. The last month, he is not drinking water like he used to. We have to hand feed him because he has a hunch back and can't get around well at all. He's been having a hard time even hand feeding him. He has days where he dosen't want to eat. My question is... Is it humane to keep him alive like this? I feel really bad for him, what kind of life is this for the poor guy. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I would have him seen by an exotic vet to determine how Spike is doing physically. As it may be a simple thing to correct. And to get the hunch back looked at, my guess is he's got some MBD going on from lack of proper nutrition growing up..

Spike'sMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
try something other then crickets, like wax worms,butter worms, silk worms. there soft bodied and easier to digest plus give moisture as well.
We stopped feeding him crickets awhile ago, he was having issues catching them with his hunchback. We hand feed him horned worms and super meal worms now.
I would have him seen by an exotic vet to determine how Spike is doing physically. As it may be a simple thing to correct. And to get the hunch back looked at, my guess is he's got some MBD going on from lack of proper nutrition growing up..
He might but he has been growing like crazy since we got him. I believe he has had the hunchback to long to even correct it. I'm thinking he went into hibernation. We had really cold weather for a few days. He does eat every other day or so. But less then he did. He hasn't lost any weight so that's good. Seems healthy. Just slowed down on eating and sleeping a lot more.

Ginger424

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would get him looked at by a vet that does reptile care. Check the temps in his habitat. If the temps are too cool, their body temps slow and they don’t moves as much and they don’t eat as much. I do keep water in a dish to make to keep the humidity balanced. However, my Beardie has never drank from a dish.. They get water from licking it from their environment. I mist my adult Beardie/environment twice a day...once in the morning and again in the afternoon. Also, I don’t know how old he is, but my adult Beardie prefers super worms over crickets. I give him crickets occasionally to change it up for him. If he is still very young, try meal worms.

Robert 245

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I've had this problem with my beardie too. You should feed him insects every second day if he's over a year. If he's not drinking lightly spray him with water every morning as they can absorb water through their skin. Give him a variety of veg every day and he should perk up after a few days