1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Diet' started by LeahDaniielle, Nov 1, 2019.

1. LeahDaniielle

LeahDaniielle Bearded Dragon Egg

Hey guys

So I’m new to this site, and only a couple months into being a bearded dragon mom! My little dude is only a few months old.

Long story short, the whole vitamins/multivitamins/whatever has me really confused and overwhelmed. Obviously I want the best for my beardie! But I’m getting anxiety over what I need to use.

I’m currently using BSFL as a staple feeder, and offering greens almost every morning dusted with reptical straw-nana stuff (contains D3).

I know BSFL have plenty of calcium, but I need help figuring out what other supplements I need! Please help me :(

In the words of Michael Scott, explain this to me like I’m 5....
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Bearded Dragon Veteran 1,000+ Post Club

You dont need to dust the BSFL as you said any other staples like crickets or dubias would need to be dusted w/ caclium D3 5 x per week and Reptivite vitamins 2 x per week ---- is he eating his greens - you can add your BSFL to the salad and 3 small super worms or mediums to the salad to entice him to bowl and feed this first thing in morning --- NO Meal worms the exoskeleton is too hard on their stomachs--- make sure he sees you adding this to the bowl ---- you can use butter worms only like 3 as they are a fattening worm along w/ silkworms - they are a good feeder too but are spendy---- the supers and the butter worms are addicting to them so use only as lure to bowl--- make sure you use a bowl that worms cant get out of --- then after hes eaten from that bowl for like 30 minutes or so you can add the other staple feeder like crickets or dubias --- I prefer dubias as they are a better staple feeder and easier to take care of than crickets --- here is a website for nutrition
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    here is some info on dubias
    Dubias·
    Wide range of sizes
    · Long life span
    · Excellent nutrition
    · Easy to digest
    · High in protein
    Convenient for you
    · Odorless and soundless
    · Will not infest your home
    · Can be stored out of sight
    · Easy to care for
    · Cannot jump, fly or climb
    you can keep them in a 10 gallon tank or tote and feed them dubia food along w / carrots for hydration --
  3. LeahDaniielle

LeahDaniielle Bearded Dragon Egg

So you said to use Reptivite 2 times per week. Do you have a picture of the exact one I would need to buy? The calcium powder I have right now contains D3. Also, he is sloooowly warming up to greens because I dust them in the straw nana powder and put his BSFL under that. When he goes for the BSFL, he’s getting the greens ☺️ I leave them in there throughout the day (the greens). He’s been eating more of it, but not all of it.
  4. kaylynangel

You can use this as well --
    https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Images/Product Pictures/Vitamins/Herptivite.jpg
    or I use the Jurassivite that has beta carotene and not synthetic vitamin A -- sorry got it mixed up--
    yes use it 2 times per week-- you might want to pick up some calcium w/ out D3 and that you might haft to order on line --- but for now use the D3 5 x per week since hes so young
    [​IMG]opps not the diet --- I will repost
  5. kaylynangel

[​IMG]
  6. kaylynangel

[​IMG]you want this eventually with out the D3 ---
  7. mflavin79

mflavin79 Bearded Dragon Egg

Would too much calcium powder and vitamins cause wet stools? I did not know you don’t do it daily I have had my beardie for four months(he’s about eight months old) and dust everything he eats with vitamin plus D powder and he has had loose stools(goes only 1x daily) could this be the cause? Other than that he’s acting completely fine
  8. mflavin79

This is what he gets

Attached Files:

9. kaylynangel

Runny stools are caused by incorrect basking temps - not enough heat - UVB - diet and parasites -- once you have ruled out the first 3 then its time for a fecal test for parasites -- but you need to make sure your not feeding things like lettuce too many horn worms or fruits like apples water melon green pepper all can cause runny stools --- if your good on all that then its possible hes got parasites -- also another sign is if his poop smell can drive you out of the room -- then that could be parasites as well
  10. mflavin79

All my temps are perfect as is my UVB. He really does not eat many veggies and I’m lucky if he gets in one bite of a green a day. I’ve had him for four months and poops have pretty much always been on the wet side. He only goes once a day and acting completely normal. The only type of vegetables he will eat are peas and Butternut squash which both contain a lot of water. He loves his live bugs(crickets and Dubias). He did have a vet appointment yesterday but last minute they had an emergency and had to cancel. My guess is parasites I don’t mean to be gross but here is a picture of his poop

Attached Files:

11. kaylynangel

If your using a coil UVB its not producing the UVB rays you need - you said your temps and UVB are perfect so w/ that being said I am assuming you have no coil UVB
  12. mflavin79

Definitely no coil!!! I have a T5 HO 10.0 UVB 22” Baskin temp is about 103° mid tank 85 to 90° other end of tank about 80° Night temp 75 (no light ceramic heat emitter)
  13. kaylynangel

Good--- then my guess parasites
  14. mflavin79

I will let you know how fecal test goes once he finally makes it to vet
  15. kaylynangel

OK
  16. mflavin79

UPDATE......saw vet today Oscar is almost 1 figures “SHE” was born about January(I assumed about 6mon) and yes Oscar is a girl(thought boy) Poop was FILLED with protozoans and some blood....Was given a dose of med and sent home with some to give next 2 Monday’s other than that looks good. Told me temps are too high tank should NOT be higher than 90 even at basking spot. Was also told to mix calcium +D3 power with water 1x week and Squirt in mouth along with daily dusting on salad and bugs
  17. kaylynangel

I would advise you to watch his poop-- w/ basking temp that low it's possible your going to end up w/ undigested food-- some vets are just inadequate at reptiles-- sorry have been reading too many horror story vet visits
  18. mflavin79

I agree I found that low also but he’s actually a reptile vet so hopefully he knows what he’s talking about
  19. kaylynangel

Just watch his poops to me it's too low- if he starts having undigested food I would bump basking temps back up
  20. mflavin79

That’s why he went to vet in 1st place at temps were 105-110