• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with lighting

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all! So right now I have a 55 gal and am about to order a new uvb. I currently have coil but have learned a t8 or t5 will be way better for them. I know t5s are better and I’d love to get that one, but I have a metal lid. I heard from somebody that with metal lids you’ll have to go with t8 and it will have to be 2ft high but I’m not sure if it is. I have more than one beardie and have been saving up to rebuy them lots of stuff because I am just now learning that almost all I have been doing is wrong due to misinformation. I am going to upgrade them to a 4x2x2 in the new future but right now it’s not possible and I spent a lot on multiple lids and would hate to have to buy new so I’m really not sure what to do. Any help will be appreciate, thank you

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you put your uvb over a screen you need a T5 if its unobstructed alot of people use a T8. A 55 gallon isnt big enough for a beardie it's only 12 or 13inches wide and even alot of juveniles are bigger then that it'll be like a narrow hallway. It is not good to cohabitat either unless you have like a 8ft enclosure or something large . Coil bulbs are pretty useless and wont provide wont beardie with the correct uvb let alone two. T5 bulbs last longer and are more powerful and they dont flicker like the T8's do

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you put your uvb over a screen you need a T5 if its unobstructed alot of people use a T8. A 55 gallon isnt big enough for a beardie it's only 12 or 13inches wide and even alot of juveniles are bigger then that it'll be like a narrow hallway. It is not good to cohabitat either unless you have like a 8ft enclosure or something large . Coil bulbs are pretty useless and wont provide wont beardie with the correct uvb let alone two. T5 bulbs last longer and are more powerful and they dont flicker like the T8's do
I’m very aware not to cohab together and I never have and would never put my beardies in a situation like that. Even with an 8ft enclosure they should never be housed together. That is a stance I am very strong on and fully believe no beardies should ever be cohabited together. Sorry I should have stated that clearer in that. And like I said I’m well aware that isn’t big enough and will be planning to upgrade to a 4x2x2 soon but the reason it is not yet is because I decided I would love to build my own and am still in the process of it but it it is close. I know a lot about uvb and how coil bulbs are terrible and I’m trying to fix it for them. I also know a lot about the t5 and t8 like how the t5 should go on top and be 1/2 rhe length while a t8 will be mounted inside and go 2/3 the length. As of now though I’m wondering with the lids I have if I can use a t5 because that is what I would prefer. They are metal screened zilla lids and I was told with those you can’t put a t5 on top and will have to use a t8. So Im wondering if this is correct and I’d have to get a t8 unless I just switched lids.

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m very aware not to cohab together and I never have and would never put my beardies in a situation like that. Even with an 8ft enclosure they should never be housed together. That is a stance I am very strong on and fully believe no beardies should ever be cohabited together. Sorry I should have stated that clearer in that. And like I said I’m well aware that isn’t big enough and will be planning to upgrade to a 4x2x2 soon but the reason it is not yet is because I decided I would love to build my own and am still in the process of it but it it is close. I know a lot about uvb and how coil bulbs are terrible and I’m trying to fix it for them. I also know a lot about the t5 and t8 like how the t5 should go on top and be 1/2 rhe length while a t8 will be mounted inside and go 2/3 the length. As of now though I’m wondering with the lids I have if I can use a t5 because that is what I would prefer. They are metal screened zilla lids and I was told with those you can’t put a t5 on top and will have to use a t8. So Im wondering if this is correct and I’d have to get a t8 unless I just switched lids.
Also I just reread my thing and it does sound like I was saying they were cohabbed together and that they’re in one tank. I worded it bad, but I promise that they are most definitely in two separate tanks. Sorry about that!

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You only want 2/3 of the enclosure illuminated so you can have the light and shade method. T5 are the stronger and better bulbs you want that if you are going to put your fixture overtop any screen or metal . The t8's are old and really should just buy the T5. Uvb isnt the only lighting you need you also need Arcadia's Jungle dawn led bar to have the proper visible light you need that you wont get from a Uvb flourescent

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all! So right now I have a 55 gal and am about to order a new uvb. I currently have coil but have learned a t8 or t5 will be way better for them. I know t5s are better and I’d love to get that one, but I have a metal lid. I heard from somebody that with metal lids you’ll have to go with t8 and it will have to be 2ft high but I’m not sure if it is. I have more than one beardie and have been saving up to rebuy them lots of stuff because I am just now learning that almost all I have been doing is wrong due to misinformation. I am going to upgrade them to a 4x2x2 in the new future but right now it’s not possible and I spent a lot on multiple lids and would hate to have to buy new so I’m really not sure what to do. Any help will be appreciate, thank you
4x2x2's need a 24" fixture w/ reflector - a Zoo Med or sunblaster or Arcadia - w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb---if you have two dragons your going to need two setups- dragons should NEVER be kept together