• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice with Brumation, I think?

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all , and I’m sure this has been asked millions of time, and I’m sorry!! But I joined this forum for advice and peace of mind since all the pet stores I go to and googling I get different answers! So my son got a bearded dragon last May and was a little tiny baby! So I’m guessing he’s a little over 1 year old now. So He is now a lot bigger and has been very healthy! The past 6 weeks he has been sleeping a lot , hiding, not eating and not pooping. He still looks healthy and has not lost weight. I have been giving him baths 2 to 4 times a week and has pooped a few times in the tub. After the baths I dry him and sit him on the basking area and stays for a little while but then goes back hiding and sleeping. He has also ate some dubia roaches after his bath but then goes back hiding. We keep fresh kale and water in his area all the time. Before he started this , we had switched him to about 70% veggies and 30% bugs. He would like kale the most of the veggies. When I do have him out in my hands and in the tub he acts normal and active. The cool side of the tank is 70 and the hot side is around 95. I’ve had iguanas and chameleons and this just concerns me the way he acts. I’ve done tons of googling online and all the descriptions fits Brumation. But when I asked my local pet store that has tons of bearded dragons, they tell me that it’s not Brumation unless I invoke it ( which I don’t know how or would want too). So is it Brumation from the sounds of it? And if so, what do I need to do to get him out of this or what? And again I’m sorry, I know there’s tons of threads about this, but I’m tired of researching it because I get so many different answers, and my local pet stores are no help! Thanks everyone in advance that can help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all , and I’m sure this has been asked millions of time, and I’m sorry!! But I joined this forum for advice and peace of mind since all the pet stores I go to and googling I get different answers! So my son got a bearded dragon last May and was a little tiny baby! So I’m guessing he’s a little over 1 year old now. So He is now a lot bigger and has been very healthy! The past 6 weeks he has been sleeping a lot , hiding, not eating and not pooping. He still looks healthy and has not lost weight. I have been giving him baths 2 to 4 times a week and has pooped a few times in the tub. After the baths I dry him and sit him on the basking area and stays for a little while but then goes back hiding and sleeping. He has also ate some dubia roaches after his bath but then goes back hiding. We keep fresh kale and water in his area all the time. Before he started this , we had switched him to about 70% veggies and 30% bugs. He would like kale the most of the veggies. When I do have him out in my hands and in the tub he acts normal and active. The cool side of the tank is 70 and the hot side is around 95. I’ve had iguanas and chameleons and this just concerns me the way he acts. I’ve done tons of googling online and all the descriptions fits Brumation. But when I asked my local pet store that has tons of bearded dragons, they tell me that it’s not Brumation unless I invoke it ( which I don’t know how or would want too). So is it Brumation from the sounds of it? And if so, what do I need to do to get him out of this or what? And again I’m sorry, I know there’s tons of threads about this, but I’m tired of researching it because I get so many different answers, and my local pet stores are no help! Thanks everyone in advance that can help!
Your cool side of the tank is 70 which is too cool and that could be one reason for the sleeping -- daytime temps need to be low 80's you have it set up for night time temps -- surface basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer stick ons are inaccurate --- UVB needs to be a long tube fixture NO coils if you need links to a UVB I can recommend 3 of them --- all this needs to be on par or your dragon will not eat --- some thing is off in the tank -- we are going into spring and most dragons are coming out of brumation --- please DO NOT go to the pet stores for help they have not a clue as how to take care of a dragon ---- is your dragon losing weight ? Please get a kitchen food scale and weigh him keep track of it -- weigh in grams please -- he could have parasites that would cause this behavior as well but we must first rule out the lighting and temps ---

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your cool side of the tank is 70 which is too cool and that could be one reason for the sleeping -- daytime temps need to be low 80's you have it set up for night time temps -- surface basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer stick ons are inaccurate --- UVB needs to be a long tube fixture NO coils if you need links to a UVB I can recommend 3 of them --- all this needs to be on par or your dragon will not eat --- some thing is off in the tank -- we are going into spring and most dragons are coming out of brumation --- please DO NOT go to the pet stores for help they have not a clue as how to take care of a dragon ---- is your dragon losing weight ? Please get a kitchen food scale and weigh him keep track of it -- weigh in grams please -- he could have parasites that would cause this behavior as well but we must first rule out the lighting and temps ---
Thank you for answering!! So I know for a fact my cool side is always around 72 . The hot side I have a probe temp and it usually around 92 to 95. I bought the thrive light combo kit and the uvb is a coil , and it came with the temp probe. But I will say all this started when the 75 wat basking bulb burnt out about a month and half ago. I bought a 150 wat bulb and he started staying on the cool side. So I went and got a 100 w cause I thought it was too hot. With the 100 w it’s at the 95 temps . I just gave him a bath tonight so these pics is from a few hours ago. After I put him back in from the bath I put him on his log and he will stay for awhile. And as I’m typing this he went over to the cool side and laid down under his hammock. As far as weight he is the same since march when the bulb blew and he started acting funny. I have pics of him from march and just now and u can tell he’s the same. I’m including the light set up on top too. I’m open to any suggestions to get this little guy back to the way he was!!

E5F16940-09DC-489E-A69E-678B81615DC5.jpeg
9E90A21F-FE27-4A9F-9CF3-FBAEFC9E1AB0.jpeg
7B084010-D5E5-4D70-B535-3756DD5A9794.jpeg
FB4CEA1F-7F80-4176-8465-5E270734043E.jpeg
0A19027E-F6FB-4FBC-B065-81A79A33CA84.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for answering!! So I know for a fact my cool side is always around 72 . The hot side I have a probe temp and it usually around 92 to 95. I bought the thrive light combo kit and the uvb is a coil , and it came with the temp probe. But I will say all this started when the 75 wat basking bulb burnt out about a month and half ago. I bought a 150 wat bulb and he started staying on the cool side. So I went and got a 100 w cause I thought it was too hot. With the 100 w it’s at the 95 temps . I just gave him a bath tonight so these pics is from a few hours ago. After I put him back in from the bath I put him on his log and he will stay for awhile. And as I’m typing this he went over to the cool side and laid down under his hammock. As far as weight he is the same since march when the bulb blew and he started acting funny. I have pics of him from march and just now and u can tell he’s the same. I’m including the light set up on top too. I’m open to any suggestions to get this little guy back to the way he was!!

View attachment 33902View attachment 33903View attachment 33904View attachment 33906View attachment 33907
First thing get rid of the coil- you want a long tube fixture-- I will post 3 of them tomorrow - this is a good reason your dragon your dragon is not basking- he's also getting no uvb and therefore getting sick -- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues-

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
First thing get rid of the coil- you want a long tube fixture-- I will post 3 of them tomorrow - this is a good reason your dragon your dragon is not basking- he's also getting no uvb and therefore getting sick -- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues-
Ok thank you!! Please let me know! I’m willing to try anything!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok get back w/ you in the morning
Here are 3 UVB's this one is a 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a bulb I post for your tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
this one can be found at PetSmart or order from them
you want a 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one 24" or 2 ft you will need to change the bulb out to the one I posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
once you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes and the distance for it

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
I'm far from being an expert, or even knowing anything about bearded dragons, but my first impression upon seeing your pictures was that the tank is too small. @Sadie ??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm far from being an expert, or even knowing anything about bearded dragons, but my first impression upon seeing your pictures was that the tank is too small. @Sadie ??
It looks like a 40 gallon and yes he probably should upgrade to a 120 gallon tank -- but we need to get his UVB fixed first so we can get his behavior to where hes basking- hes not basking and that coil is not doing any good - once he gets this replaced we can see what the dragon does after that and go from there --

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are 3 UVB's this one is a 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need a bulb I post for your tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
22" bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
this one can be found at PetSmart or order from them
you want a 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one 24" or 2 ft you will need to change the bulb out to the one I posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
once you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes and the distance for it
Great!! i was planning on going to petsmart this afternoon as soon as u recommended me something and i just looked and they have the arcadia one in stock and will get that one. And i remember now back in march his 75w heat light blew and i went that day and bought a 150w one. And that was when he started staying on the cool side. So then a few weeks later i went back and bought a 100 wat one thinking it was too hot but has still been in the same state. since the uvb hasnt changed, u think it has something to do with they way he is acting now?

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
It looks like a 40 gallon and yes he probably should upgrade to a 120 gallon tank -- but we need to get his UVB fixed first so we can get his behavior to where hes basking- hes not basking and that coil is not doing any good - once he gets this replaced we can see what the dragon does after that and go from there --
Ok and i just saw these new post. and the tank was a exo terra 36x18x18 tank. and wow after one year u think its too small?? i will look today also!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok and i just saw these new post. and the tank was a exo terra 36x18x18 tank. and wow after one year u think its too small?? i will look today also!
Yes get the Arcadia they are a great bulb 12% -- make sure you have 2 digital probe thermometers Zoo Med makes them and Petsmart carries them --- place the probe on the basking decor piece get your actual surface basking temps - 95-100 -- get your UVB mounted in the tank for a fine mesh screen like a screen door 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- watch what he does -- you can mount the UVB w / long zip ties -- 3M Velcro fasteners or picture hanging wire -- I would go for the wire - over time the zip ties will get weak and break and possibly the 3M stuff too but if you use the wire I am thinking it will last longer - I use a thin bendable welding rod for my tanks -- get this all in place and watch his behavior -- it should change quickly

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
here is a live snap now! the probe is on top of the log where he would bask and its showing 91.6. And u can see him sitting over on the cool side with his head up!
B dragon.png

And im not exactly sure how u are telling me to mount it? I wouldnt just lay it long ways on the screen on top now? it would be 12 or so inches from the top of his log since its only 18 in high? and sorry for all the questions , i just want him ok!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
here is a live snap now! the probe is on top of the log where he would bask and its showing 91.6. And u can see him sitting over on the cool side with his head up! View attachment 33909

And im not exactly sure how u are telling me to mount it? I wouldnt just lay it long ways on the screen on top now? it would be 12 or so inches from the top of his log since its only 18 in high? and sorry for all the questions , i just want him ok!!
I can post some websites for 120 gallon tanks if you want me to-- as long as the probe is where he sits for basking your gonna get actual basking temps--- the screen on the tank will determine where the UVB goes and distance - please show me the screen --- w/ the tank being 18 inches high you may haft to lower the basking decor piece / get a different one / but we need to determine where to put the UVB -- inside the tank or top of screen

timweb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok update. I went and bought the Arcadia at pets mart . Got home to put it on the tank and it won’t come on! It flickered once or twice and now nothing. I’m guessing it’s the bulb. I’m taking it back tomorrow. But I did lay it across the top and snap a pic for comparison!
F4360C2E-8549-42E0-940B-8CF4B286EBCE.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok update. I went and bought the Arcadia at pets mart . Got home to put it on the tank and it won’t come on! It flickered once or twice and now nothing. I’m guessing it’s the bulb. I’m taking it back tomorrow. But I did lay it across the top and snap a pic for comparison! View attachment 33910
Yes that's it - exchange it - must be a dud don't know if it's the fixture or the bulb itself- I would see if you could test it at the store get a different bulb and check fixture-- I don't know if PetSmart will do that they may haft to send the whole thing back to get credit- either way check the replacement before you leave the store-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey and it’s a fine mesh like a screen door. I’m going to send u a message too!
Ok so it needs to be unobstructed - either take the screen off - put it in the tank and hang w/ picture wire or 3m Velcro fasteners or long zip ties- I recommend the picture wire - or cut the screen - 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor