• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice on setup and lighting choice

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay so should have posted this a while ago. We’ve had our BD for about 2 months and were clueless at the start. Bought a kit from pet store that included tank and light set - it’s the ZooMed brand and had a 100 watt basking bulb and one of the twisted UVB bulbs - not sure of the name. But he’s around 8 months and seems to be doing fine. On further research though I felt like we needed to upgrade the uvb so have now bought a Reptisun T5 HO hood light. Just put it on top of the cage and he seems to be freaking out. Is this normal? Was thinking it would make him have more energy/feel better but it appears to be doing the opposite. Is this just an adjustment period? Also is there anything else off in the setup that you can see that we need to make adjustments on? And when should we upgrade to the larger tank?

Attachments

• 474A3C98-A407-4A7A-9E68-95F05C4E62F8.jpeg
    474A3C98-A407-4A7A-9E68-95F05C4E62F8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63

Valerie Vitticeps

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so should have posted this a while ago. We’ve had our BD for about 2 months and were clueless at the start. Bought a kit from pet store that included tank and light set - it’s the ZooMed brand and had a 100 watt basking bulb and one of the twisted UVB bulbs - not sure of the name. But he’s around 8 months and seems to be doing fine. On further research though I felt like we needed to upgrade the uvb so have now bought a Reptisun T5 HO hood light. Just put it on top of the cage and he seems to be freaking out. Is this normal? Was thinking it would make him have more energy/feel better but it appears to be doing the opposite. Is this just an adjustment period? Also is there anything else off in the setup that you can see that we need to make adjustments on? And when should we upgrade to the larger tank?

Valerie Vitticeps

Bearded Dragon Egg
Joesmom, how is he acting? Can you describe what is different about him since you put up the long UVB? By the way, it might be that he's sensitive to change possibly?

OHnatalie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Be sure to check your long hood lite....hopefully there is no plastic cover on it between the bulb and the beardie? I've read if you have plastic/glass, it will cut down the rays that your dragon is receiving. Don't forget to change every 6 months too. Oh, btw, I recently moved my long lite on top of the cage while she was basking below and my poor beardie dived for cover...I guess thinking it was a hawk or something...got her out, loved her up a bit, put her back...she's been fine since :) ...well, what can I say, she's kinda spoiled...we call her "princess" not DRAGON!!!! ....chuckle

Valerie Vitticeps

Bearded Dragon Egg
Be sure to check your long hood lite....hopefully there is no plastic cover on it between the bulb and the beardie? I've read if you have plastic/glass, it will cut down the rays that your dragon is receiving. Don't forget to change every 6 months too. Oh, btw, I recently moved my long lite on top of the cage while she was basking below and my poor beardie dived for cover...I guess thinking it was a hawk or something...got her out, loved her up a bit, put her back...she's been fine since :) ...well, what can I say, she's kinda spoiled...we call her "princess" not DRAGON!!!! ....chuckle

No doubt, she is a cutie patootie!