• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice on runny poop and pinkish marks/possible rash on belly feet

kylesettles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys,

My beardie Dojo is 4 months old. We have had her for nearly two months now and she has been eating a healhy diet of crickets, kale, squash, and other veggies. Her primary source and overall food is crickets, with salads closing in on 40%-50% of her diet.

Lately (about a week or so) her stools have been inconsistent. They will range from diarrhea to slightly runny to normal. I have been messing with her diet a bit since then but haven't been able to pinpoint anything. She loves kale and tends to pick that out but I don't think thats the culprit as she's been eating that for 2 months now. And, prior to last week, her poop was healthy and steady.

I'm also wondering about this new pinkish hue I'm noticing around her belly and her back feet. I'm assuming thats related, but to be quite honest, have no clue. It's not a stain from any food source.

Her energy levels have not dipped at all and she is still very social and full of life. She is basking under her lights, enjoying her play time out of her tank, and has been just as social as normal.

I've read about parasites and am now wondering if that might be what's happening. The problem I'm running into is that were located in rural Alaska, which is about 5 hours from our closest reptile vet. If you have any advice/experience with these issues I am all ears.

Thanks for taking the time to read and follow up with suggestions!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, it could be due to incorrect temperatures or a bad bulb. What kind of lighting are you using? and what are your temperatures, hot end, cool end and basking spot?
If its just a fecal test you need doing I understand you can get kits that you send off for analysis. You have to get one that tests for parasites and not just worms, apparently they are pretty good and a lot less expensive than a vet. A recent post mentioned them but I cant remember where he bought his, maybe amazon.

kylesettles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, it could be due to incorrect temperatures or a bad bulb. What kind of lighting are you using? and what are your temperatures, hot end, cool end and basking spot?
If its just a fecal test you need doing I understand you can get kits that you send off for analysis. You have to get one that tests for parasites and not just worms, apparently they are pretty good and a lot less expensive than a vet. A recent post mentioned them but I cant remember where he bought his, maybe amazon.

Hey thanks for the response!
I think temps are solid but I have noticed her not wanting to bask as much due to the basking spot rising above 105. My 75w watt basking light broke so she was without it for about a week or so. Last week I put that same 75w bask light in and am starting to think that’s about the time the issues began. Interesting.

She’s got a typical heat bulb, red basking light, and UVB. During the day, the hot side hovers around 100, basking spot close to 110, and cool side close to 80. At night, warm side dips down to about 88-90 as I have a ceramic heat emitter along with a heat mat.

Because her energy levels are normal and she’s eating I am not currently super alarmed. I’m wondering, however, if her tank is actually too warm in that basking spot? Any other advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would only feed Kale when it's along with a better staple green like collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens..
I would agree in getting a physical done along with a fecal sample to be tested for parasites as they are a big reason for loose stool..
As far as lighting is concerned I would remove the red basking bulb as colored bulbs as they don't allow for their pupils to constrict and dilate properly and over time can cause damage. At 4 months old your temps are not bad.. What UVB are you using? Nighttime temps should dip into the low 70's can go down to 65. They do need the dip in temps as that kinda "re-sets" their bodies.. Since beardies can not sense heat on their bellies I would remove the heat mat as they won't know if they are getting burns.