• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new enclosure

Isa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello guys I have not purchased the bearded dragon yet but I do have the enclosure and I just have a few questions. So what do I do about the lighting this person at PetSmart told me to but this extra light even though I bought the zoomed 40 reptihabitat starter kit (still decorating so that’s why the tank looks super empty). Do I use both lights or should one be for night or something. Kind of confused

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
First of all, those kits aren't actually complete. The only things you can use in the kit are the tank, food and water dishes, thermometer, humidity gauge, basking spot lamp, UVB, and the lamp fixture. DO NOT use the sand, since, it can be ingested by the beardie and cause impaction, which can be fatal for it. Instead, just use paper towels or repticarpet. Also, the booklet isn't needed because all the CORRECT information is on this forum. The food sampler is usually filled with junk, but your beardie might like the stuff. You need to get a calcium with D3 supplement and dust it in his veggies and insects every day except for one day of the week. On the one day where you don't feed the calcium, dust ONLY ONE of his meals with reptile vitamins without D3. For the lighting, do not use the "night lamp" because the light can be seen by the beardie. It will just feel like a light shining on him when he is trying to sleep. Just let the temperature drop at night, only if your room temp at night is an average of 70 degrees farenheit. If it is lower than that, I recommend getting a 100 watt ceramic heat emmiter, which only produces heat instead of light. Do not use a heat pad, since beardies cannot feel heat from their stomach, which can result in burning them. Also, NEVER USE A HEAT ROCK!! THEY CAN GET INTO SUPER HIGHT TEMPERATURES WHICH CAN KILL YOUR BEARDIE. The average basking temp for a baby should be around 105 and for adults, around 95-100. Do not feed mealworms. If you have any other questions, let me know.

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You may have to experiment with what wattage ceramic heat emitter to get... It will depend on the size of your tank and where your dragon sleeps in relationship to the heat emitter. For us a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter would be way too hot. Our dragons sleep on their hammocks so they are raised up off the floor. We might be able to get away with it if the heat emitter is clear on the other end of the tank but then I'm thinking why use more electricity for higher wattage... we have 40 gallon tanks and use 50 watts either right over or right next to our dragons. We use a laser digital thermometer to check temps in precise spots.