• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my first wood enclosure! (and some questions)

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
hello! so i just finished building my first wood enclosure for my beardie today and im using a 25% play sand/75% organic soil substrate since i plan on going bioactive soon. before i ask questions here are some pics:
298f8ae963a4437c2da7db6aeeeb1ec6.jpg
0a22263a6927f0d65d3875e7eb6a4527.jpg
e906ce1fb3cc1ed8dc21daca3f86b8a9.jpg
276e32e06efd77108fe97813a67a99f2.jpg
1cc9f1eefbccbe24cb2c772eb0e9122a.jpg
(no decor in there cause im letting the soil dry out a bit ((let me know if i dont have to do this))) so now my questions: my beardie is already used to high humidity (50-70%) due to the natural humidity of my room and hes doing fine, any suggestions on controlling the humidity in this enclosure? ive noticed that besides the basking spot being warmer the tank itself is pretty much the same temp, any suggestions on how to create a gradient? im pretty sure i should do out, but should i feed him inside or outside the tank? i was kinda thinking about making a lil shelf on the UVB side that i could put his worms and his greens on. i already know im going to need a higher wattage basking bulb to improve digestion because of the possibility of him getting some substrate and just cause its a further distance than my previous tank in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
update: i touched the soil and it wasnt near as wet as it looked. i decided to put him in and a large piece of stone for him to feed on, he was kinda confused at first, tasted the substrate as expected then i fed him some greens and he was happy. now hes sitting on his little perch basking
eb079219b14c75a66e5fa9905566dc72.jpg
087616ccb1ea7b09231a5cd53cdc7f42.jpg
4eb20360113ceb0ab8e99fbb5318f958.jpg

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
update: i touched the soil and it wasnt near as wet as it looked. i decided to put him in and a large piece of stone for him to feed on, he was kinda confused at first, tasted the substrate as expected then i fed him some greens and he was happy. now hes sitting on his little perch basking
eb079219b14c75a66e5fa9905566dc72.jpg
087616ccb1ea7b09231a5cd53cdc7f42.jpg
4eb20360113ceb0ab8e99fbb5318f958.jpg

Well done!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You need to add ventilation holes in the back and on the sides to help with humidity and give air flow.

The other thing that concerns me is that your basking bulb is too far from your UVB bulb. The two should overlap somewhat because the heat from the basking light helps the body synthesize the D3 from the UVB light.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Also make sure you sealed the wood before you put the dirt into it or the wood is going to soak up the humidity.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
You need to add ventilation holes in the back and on the sides to help with humidity and give air flow.

The other thing that concerns me is that your basking bulb is too far from your UVB bulb. The two should overlap somewhat because the heat from the basking light helps the body synthesize the D3 from the UVB light.

i plan on adding vent holes, was just too tired last night, i also plan on getting a 36” UVB i just dont have the money right now

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
i have a whole list of things i need to buy still: 36” uvb and bulb, spring tails and iso pods, plants (cacti and mint), LED for the plants, higher wattage heat bulb (main priority), and some ghostwood

Ray Hower

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've consider a live tank how do you mentain the dirt, doesn't their poop affect the soil or is it a closed ecosystem? I'd be concerned the insects would drag something into the dirt or the poop would make the dirt unsuitable or stinky and or all of the above.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've consider a live tank how do you mentain the dirt, doesn't their poop affect the soil or is it a closed ecosystem? I'd be concerned the insects would drag something into the dirt or the poop would make the dirt unsuitable or stinky and or all of the above.

Your Cuc will eventually multiply and sustain themselves. They are the clean up crew. They get rid of the poo and old veggies and whatever else is laying around. It's a self sustaining ecosystem if done right. Don't forget to have some leaf litter when you put your Cuc in there.

Ray Hower

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your Cuc will eventually multiply and sustain themselves. They are the clean up crew. They get rid of the poo and old veggies and whatever else is laying around. It's a self sustaining ecosystem if done right. Don't forget to have some leaf litter when you put your Cuc in there.

Cuc is what exactly

Ray Hower

Bearded Dragon Egg
clean up crew, such as isopods and spring tails

And the inspects they don't interrupt this process? I mean they are in the wild but theirs scavengers in the wild dragons like live stuff so what happens to their fecies and body parts shedding and can they carry Intruders I've read about dragons getting warms in em I still gatta get my girls checked out haven't had em in yet but they've been healthy I'm just curious how this loop works and what can interrupt it. Also how does a dragon get warms ? And what kind are they sorry this just seemed like allot of knowegable people we're involved wanted to learn a little more. I can't stand my fake substrate

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
And the inspects they don't interrupt this process? I mean they are in the wild but theirs scavengers in the wild dragons like live stuff so what happens to their fecies and body parts shedding and can they carry Intruders I've read about dragons getting warms in em I still gatta get my girls checked out haven't had em in yet but they've been healthy I'm just curious how this loop works and what can interrupt it. Also how does a dragon get warms ? And what kind are they sorry this just seemed like allot of knowegable people we're involved wanted to learn a little more. I can't stand my fake substrate

They are the process. By having the clean up crew your enclosure should remain clan after the Cucs colonies are established. Given that you provide them with good substarte and leaf litter so they can hide and eat. Then they poop and put nutrients in the soil. The plants now have rich soil to grow in. You herp eat or destroys the plants and the cycle continues. Thats the jist. There is more to it. But it's not complicated. Just expensive to start. Look up bioactive groups on Facebook and you'll find tons of people with common questions and a lot of.knowledge.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon

you technically dont have to have the clean up crew to have a 75% soil/25% sand mixture, you can clean it pretty well. its what im using right now

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
you technically dont have to have the clean up crew to have a 75% soil/25% sand mixture, you can clean it pretty well. its what im using right now

I used 50/50 that's what most recommend. The clean up crew is what makes it bioactive

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I used 50/50 that's what most recommend. The clean up crew is what makes it bioactive

i was going to do 50/50 i filled a 5gal bucket halfway with sand and halfway with soil and it seemed like wayyyyy too much sand so i put in another half of soil

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
update again: hes been doing really well, i was really worried about impaction due to use a sandy/dirt substrate but hes been pooping well, better than ever actually. hes loving his tank though though, only thing that annoys me is that he loves to scratch at the plexi until i let him out but its also nice cause ive gotten to interact with him more. i still feed him his worms outside of the tank 90% of the time and he’s perfectly okay with that. ive been trying to keep the soil loose to promote digging but he hasnt been very interested in it at all, any ideas on how to get him into that id like to know, other than that i havent had many issues at all with him, hes loving it

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
hello! so i just finished building my first wood enclosure for my beardie today and im using a 25% play sand/75% organic soil substrate since i plan on going bioactive soon. before i ask questions here are some pics:
298f8ae963a4437c2da7db6aeeeb1ec6.jpg
0a22263a6927f0d65d3875e7eb6a4527.jpg
e906ce1fb3cc1ed8dc21daca3f86b8a9.jpg
276e32e06efd77108fe97813a67a99f2.jpg
1cc9f1eefbccbe24cb2c772eb0e9122a.jpg
(no decor in there cause im letting the soil dry out a bit ((let me know if i dont have to do this))) so now my questions: my beardie is already used to high humidity (50-70%) due to the natural humidity of my room and hes doing fine, any suggestions on controlling the humidity in this enclosure? ive noticed that besides the basking spot being warmer the tank itself is pretty much the same temp, any suggestions on how to create a gradient? im pretty sure i should do out, but should i feed him inside or outside the tank? i was kinda thinking about making a lil shelf on the UVB side that i could put his worms and his greens on. i already know im going to need a higher wattage basking bulb to improve digestion because of the possibility of him getting some substrate and just cause its a further distance than my previous tank in general

That looks great...sorry if i missed it but is that plexiglass on the front? great job