• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My First Rescue

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all! Apologies to the members and staff if this post is in the wrong section. Its one of my first one's and wasn't sure about where t put it.
Anyway, I checked out this pet shop in L.A. a few months ago and they had a good amount of dragons in stock. There were a couple that "didn't look like the others" and I inquired about them. Turns out the shop had rescued them. They were abandoned and were rehabilitating them. I inquired about one in particular, and they told me he would be available once the rehab was done, and I left my phone number with them to call me when he's ok.
A few weeks later I got a call, and the shop owner asking if I would want to continue his rehab, and was willing to give him to me for free, along with another rescue that needed a home. Unfortunately I had room for only one, and couldn't take the second one. My girlfriend and I went to pick him up the day after I got the call, and took him to his new home. He was a dark red, like a fire morf, his tail was way darker then the rest of him, and had some really nice patterns on him. He and I bonded right away. He was also very thin, and spastic. He had a black mark on the lower part of the front of his mouth from rubbing against the enclosed constantly from being stressed. Once we got him home, I fed him immediately. He was thin and attacked a dandelion green I put in front of him. I mean ATTACKED! Anyone ever see a dragon literally attack a green? I never have.
He was very hungry and I gave him salad, along with a bunch of Dubais and worms I picked up at the pet shop. I thought what I got him that day would last a couple of days, but it only lasted that one day, and I had to act quick and get more, lots more!
Anyway, that was about 5-6 weeks ago and he just finished fully shedding tonight, and I could not believe it when I looked at him. I took a few pics and wanted to post them here for all to see.
He looks like a completely different dragon. and is doing amazingly well. I think he's part tiger and has blue bars.
So that's the story of my little buddy Chad.
**Please pardon the post shed mess in the cage, tomorrow is cleaning day.

Attachments

• IMG_4481.jpeg
    IMG_4481.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4480.jpeg
    IMG_4480.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 75

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much Kaylnangel! I'll grab a pic after I clean out his enclosure tomorrow.
He's in a. 36x18x15 custom built enclosure. 24" Reptisun 10.0 (I change all my Reptisuns every 6 months), Repticarpet on the floor (looking to change that to tile soon), ceramic heat emitter for basking, his temperatures and heat gradience are 110 on one side, down to 80 on the other side. I give him salads twice a day, and Dubias, Supers at night with some waxworks and hornworms thrown in when available, all dusted with calcium powder every few days, Weekly enclosure cleanings and weekly baths as well.

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
Never heard about the CME not being good for basking.
Heres a few shots of Chad in his freshly spruced up enclosure. He's looking so amazing, and his progress is excellent!
The shop I got him from did such a great thing taking this abandoned dragon in and rehabilitating him.

Attachments

• IMG_4484.jpeg
    IMG_4484.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4487.jpeg
    IMG_4487.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4483.jpeg
    IMG_4483.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4486.jpeg
    IMG_4486.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,
Honestly I think you are doing a great job with your BD there. He looks great! Good body condition, bright colors, very happy! I’m glad that he has you for an owner, and I know he’s glad too! Have a great day!!

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,
Honestly I think you are doing a great job with your BD there. He looks great! Good body condition, bright colors, very happy! I’m glad that he has you for an owner, and I know he’s glad too! Have a great day!!
Thank you so much Birdey! I actually stopped by the store that gave him to me and showed them pics of his progress on my way home from work tonight. They didn't even recognize him. He was so neglected when I got him, and I do sincerely regret not taking pics of him when I got him and charting his weight and growth.
But the main thing is he seems fine now and is an amazing animal!
Thanx again!

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
He’s got very bright colors!
Yes, he does! It was a huge surprise when he shed and I saw his colors. When I got him, he was dark red, to the point that I thought he was a red phase. It turns out he was so neglected, the dark color was a shed that hadn't finish the shedding process (if thats the correct terminology) and once I got him under the proper UVB bulb, heat, sufficient food and vitamins/calcium, he started to thrive.