• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Draco bit its tail.. why ?

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
So my Draco bit its tail about 2 weeks ago. After research I found that I should put Neosporin, so I have and it's been getting better. But Draco bit its tail again yesterday. Anyone else have this issue or know why ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Heather8497

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon did that too and the pet store told me that it could be his shed not coming all the way off so just put some warm water on your fingers and massage the area it should get the stuff off if that is his problem if not he will chew til he gets it off

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
My bearded dragon did that too and the pet store told me that it could be his shed not coming all the way off so just put some warm water on your fingers and massage the area it should get the stuff off if that is his problem if not he will chew til he gets it off

Oh man. I've done that but idk. I don't think that's the case for Draco tho :/ bc during the 2 times he or she (not sure yet, I'm thinking female tho) bit her tail. She was not shedding at these times

Heather8497

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh man. I've done that but idk. I don't think that's the case for Draco tho :/ bc during the 2 times he or she (not sure yet, I'm thinking female tho) bit her tail. She was not shedding at these times

Oh well mufasa wasn't either but it was caught on his toe and the tip of his tail he said it was cutting off the circulation because it was an old shed

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
Oh well mufasa wasn't either but it was caught on his toe and the tip of his tail he said it was cutting off the circulation because it was an old shed

Ohhh ok. When I get home from work then I'll look more closely at dracos tail. Thanks for your info :)

Heather8497

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ohhh ok. When I get home from work then I'll look more closely at dracos tail. Thanks for your info :)

No problem let me know how your little guy does mufasa threw a fit about me rubbing his toes but he is now acting a lot better and hasn't but himself anymore

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Do you have a photo of the tail? There could be some stuck shed on it or if she is young, she may think it's food because it's moving. If it is stuck shed, you should probably have a vet look at it. The fact that she is biting it means that she is hurting and she is trying to it away from her.

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
Do you have a photo of the tail? There could be some stuck shed on it or if she is young, she may think it's food because it's moving. If it is stuck shed, you should probably have a vet look at it. The fact that she is biting it means that she is hurting and she is trying to it away from her.
I'm almost positive it's not that bc she wasn't shedding on these instances. But I am going to take a pic when I get home and post it. Maybe I am wrong. Would you mind taking a look at my other post ? Maybe you might know something about it

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
So my husband sent me those pics. That's as clear as he can get them
cc0f43b4d6c0b6e7c497f50da19e62ba.jpg
140ea5cd1b7420d244570a8f9ba965e9.jpg
3b4ece9c900a13b63e4f26beb80b1914.jpg
da3806b50d86dc82949439706773408a.jpg

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
I should add that she hasn't been eating these past two days. All the roaches are still in there :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So it does look like something is going on at the tip of the tail. I can't tell if it is stuck shed or if it's tail rot. If it's tail rot, the dark spot would be spreading down her tail over a period of time. So most likely what is happening is something is hurting her and she is trying to get it off. There are products you can try over the counter that will help get shed off. Reptile Shedding Aid is real good along with plain 100% aloe vera (you get it by the laxatives, it comes in a huge jug). You want to put products on at night right when the lights go out so that it soaks into the tail and doesn't cook your dragons under the basking light. If she keeps trying to bite it off, you are going to need to take her to a vet and have them take care of it. They might just amputate the tip of the tail.

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
So it does look like something is going on at the tip of the tail. I can't tell if it is stuck shed or if it's tail rot. If it's tail rot, the dark spot would be spreading down her tail over a period of time. So most likely what is happening is something is hurting her and she is trying to get it off. There are products you can try over the counter that will help get shed off. Reptile Shedding Aid is real good along with plain 100% aloe vera (you get it by the laxatives, it comes in a huge jug). You want to put products on at night right when the lights go out so that it soaks into the tail and doesn't cook your dragons under the basking light. If she keeps trying to bite it off, you are going to need to take her to a vet and have them take care of it. They might just amputate the tip of the tail.
Ohmygoodness ok. I'll get that today .. any pet shop? Thanks so much for your info. I really hope it's not tail rot. Amputation must hurt. My poor Draco :(

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
Is this one ok?
e2866d1d2c42645c17c47c21e6504d51.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Any pet shop should have it. The also have something called Shed Ease, I don't really like that one because you put it in the bath water, where the other one is a spray on.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My oldest girl had had stuck shed on her belly for months. I felt bad because it was her whole belly, I had just thought it was her coloration. I put this stuff on her belly and 2 days later the whole thing came off in one pieces. She had gone like that for months, I felt so horrible.

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
My oldest girl had had stuck shed on her belly for months. I felt bad because it was her whole belly, I had just thought it was her coloration. I put this stuff on her belly and 2 days later the whole thing came off in one pieces. She had gone like that for months, I felt so horrible.
Oh man .. at least she's all better now :)