• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie's claw has me concerned.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guy! I have a question regarding what looks to be an ingrown or deformed claw on my dragon Odahviing's left foot, If I recall she had actually lost that claw recently for whatever reason and I think it may have come back in abnormally. Actually about 2 weeks ago now I was clipping her nails because she was really tearing my hands up when I held her (believe it or not she is responsible for that scratch on my hand) and while I was doing so I noticed this really nasty claw that I couldn't reach with the clippers and I would't have been able to get at from a different angle without hitting the quick like a dog's nail. Well anyway I got some pictures today and cropped it up for you to see. It's the 2nd nail from the right and I know the lighting is terrible but it looks as if it curved up like a sickle shape and twisted sideways and now threatens to go underneath her toe backwards.

Attachments

• Odahviing deformed claw.PNG
    Odahviing deformed claw.PNG
    261.8 KB · Views: 325

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Looks like you'll have to keep that one trimmed so she doesn't have any issues with it. If you can't get it with clippers, you can try filing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Looks like you'll have to keep that one trimmed so she doesn't have any issues with it. If you can't get it with clippers, you can try filing it.

Yeah that's what I though I would have to do, it doesn't seem to be sensitive for her anyway, just strange shaped, hope she'll hold still. You think one of those nail files for dogs would work? She has pretty tough claws.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The canine nail file is worth a shot! I doubt it causes any discomfort unless it gets snagged on something.

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
Elmo is in a bad mood at the moment so I'll try to get a pic later, but at least 1 claw on each foot is messed up in some way. She has one that looks worse than that though. I never cut or file it. She has wood and hard excavator clay to walk on and so far (knock on wood) I've never needed to cut any of her claws

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is what I do when trimming nails: When they are on my lap asleep under their blankets I expose 1 foot at a time easy peezy :) and they are less likely to get pissy lol

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Elmo is in a bad mood at the moment so I'll try to get a pic later, but at least 1 claw on each foot is messed up in some way. She has one that looks worse than that though. I never cut or file it. She has wood and hard excavator clay to walk on and so far (knock on wood) I've never needed to cut any of her claws

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I've heard about that, I've been considering it. Wood would probably be more attractive so I'll see what I can do with it.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is what I do when trimming nails: When they are on my lap asleep under their blankets I expose 1 foot at a time easy peezy :) and they are less likely to get pissy lol

I would imagine :) I'll get her really relaxed before I try filing this thing down.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would try a file. Their nails do grow back but unfortunately they don't look the same and tend to come in thicker and shaped funny.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
just clip a little bit each time to chase the quick back but have a stop bleeding stick or powder handy... I cut just the tiny hook

Yeah since her nails are still small I was just using a human nail clipper to get the sharp parts. Granted I couldn't get every nail, she actually helped me out in choosing where to cut because if it was too sensitive she would pull her hand away (she cooperated surprisingly well, she's a little demon and would usually sink her teeth into my hand if I tried that lol). I realized I could usually clip half way up without issue. That one nail though, there's no getting it with even a human clipper because not only is it's too tightly curved close to the toe but it's both sideways and almost backwards so there's no way I could avoid the quick with it or even get the tip off because of the angle I would have to approach it and it's hard enough anyway to get her to hold completely still so I'm guessing filing it like everyone's suggesting is the best choice.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would try a file. Their nails do grow back but unfortunately they don't look the same and tend to come in thicker and shaped funny.

Definately, some wood in there might help too, I'm sure in the wild they keep their claws in check by scratching rocks and trees like lions or bears. My mom suggested I put rough rocks like sandstone in there so she could file them down herself when she climbs around.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah since her nails are still small I was just using a human nail clipper to get the sharp parts. Granted I couldn't get every nail, she actually helped me out in choosing where to cut because if it was too sensitive she would pull her hand away (she cooperated surprisingly well, she's a little demon and would usually sink her teeth into my hand if I tried that lol). I realized I could usually clip half way up without issue. That one nail though, there's no getting it with even a human clipper because not only is it's too tightly curved close to the toe but it's both sideways and almost backwards so there's no way I could avoid the quick with it or even get the tip off because of the angle I would have to approach it and it's hard enough anyway to get her to hold completely still so I'm guessing filing it like everyone's suggesting is the best choice.
have you tried cutting when she's asleep under a blanket??

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definately, some wood in there might help too, I'm sure in the wild they keep their claws in check by scratching rocks and trees like lions or bears. My mom suggested I put rough rocks like sandstone in there so she could file them down herself when she climbs around.
I would imagine in the wild as they run around on the dirt/rocks etc and digging caves would keep them trimmed down. Not to mention they don't live as long in the wild sooo....
having tile on the floor, and things to climb on like rocks (big enough they don't eat) will help.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would imagine in the wild as they run around on the dirt/rocks etc and digging caves would keep them trimmed down. Not to mention they don't live as long in the wild sooo....
having tile on the floor, and things to climb on like rocks (big enough they don't eat) will help.

Yes that's absolutely the route I'm going to go :)