• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie won't eat :(

Thesuperdragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my beardie last thuraday, so almost a week ago. He ate The first day I had him, but won't touch live food now. I feed him mealworms and crickets but I'm switching to Phoenix worms because of the mealworms controversy. However I hand feed him sprouts and carrots and he loves them. Any suggestions?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! it's not uncommon for them to go thru a period of relocation stress, just keep offering different types of food and he will come around..
Take a little time and look at the links below several of our comments as we have put together a ton of info on care of these guys and also food links.. This is all in the general care section as well.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, personally I find phoenix worms to be a bit of a pain, especially the small ones (they are microscopic), trying to seperate them from the substrate they come in is arrggh! I cannot reccomend highly enough that you try baby dubias or discoids (dubias not legal in some places), not only are they more nutritious, but dragons seem to find them irresistable. If you gutload them, it gets more veggie goodness into your beardie too. I realise that many people are repulsed by the thought of roaches, but they aren't so bad once you get used to them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hi, personally I find phoenix worms to be a bit of a pain, especially the small ones (they are microscopic), trying to seperate them from the substrate they come in is arrggh! I cannot reccomend highly enough that you try baby dubias or discoids (dubias not legal in some places), not only are they more nutritious, but dragons seem to find them irresistable. If you gutload them, it gets more veggie goodness into your beardie too. I realise that many people are repulsed by the thought of roaches, but they aren't so bad once you get used to them.

I don't like BSFL either. I do occasionally buy them and let them hatch so my frogs can eat the flies. They are a pain to separate and all my animals poop them out whole. They are very nutritious though, and lots of people love them.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Got our dragon couple weeks after you. First day she ate alot of crickets, the next day 2, Sat and Sun only 1 each day. Then today she ate 3 crickets and 4 wax worms but refused to eat in 2 other feedings. I'm new to this but i've had luck putting her in a small clear feeding tub under warm light and then returning her to bask in her tank...she seems to eat more that way.