• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Beardie Threw Up on me?

sxopizel

Bearded Dragon Egg
Weird post here, it’s the reason I joined the forum. Apologies if this has bad formatting as I am on my phone. I took in a beardie from a close friend that could no longer take care of her as I have had experience with them as I was growing up. Today she did something she’s never done. When feeding her food that is soft/soaked in water she tends to impact it into her nostrils. For whatever reason she has an issue with this specifically due to her unique eating style from being underfed before being in my care. This isn’t an issue as she can usually dig it out herself or with minimal assistance (massaging/tweezers). Today, I had to use tweezers. She is typically very relaxed during this process as I think it provides some relief. She was fine with her L nostril being removed, yet vomited up her last meal on my forearm she was resting on, and scurried away when I attempted the right. I am not a veterinarian but I do work as a (human) medical professional and am considering taking her to a Vet. She is currently sunning herself under her lamp and acting normally again. Any advice is welcome.

sxopizel

Bearded Dragon Egg
Attached photo is her venting in her new tank :) You can see the impaction of her R nostril.

Attachments

• AF9A5BBA-DF60-448E-B7EB-5FD3AB56286A.jpeg
    AF9A5BBA-DF60-448E-B7EB-5FD3AB56286A.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Attached photo is her venting in her new tank :) You can see the impaction of her R nostril.
First please get rid of the red light --- colored bulbs will damage their eyes which can lead to long term eye damage including blindness --- it also disrupts their sleep --- please replace w/ a solid bright white basking bulb like Flukers or Exo Terra or Zoo Med Repti basking bulb or a Arcadia Halogen --- next for the issue at hand please mist her head to soften the dried food in the nostril - usually they get shed in there and eventually it will come out - I recommend not using tweezers on the nose -- I am going to ask someone who might be able to help --- please tell me what your using for a UVB? a coil or a tube ? And how are you getting surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the best---- I am posting a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - please start feeding fresh salads every day for her - that dried stuff is not a good food to feed - fresh is always best -
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Are you feeding a staple insect feeder?
The vomiting was the food digested or partially digested and what exactly did she throw up?
I will help you get your tank set up but the red light needs to be replaced and NOT used a solid bright white basking bulb for UV needs to be used and a good UVB NO coils please - you want a long tube fixture for her - I can post links to UVB's and help you set it up correctly - they have certain distance and placement and that will be determined by the screen you have

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had the person get back w/ me and I need to clarify are you syringe feeding her? This is her response to your post
Beardies usually recover soon after vomiting so that shouldn't be a problem. As for syringe feeding, doing that constantly is sort of like feeding a baby. They may take in too much too fast and then it comes back up [ or other things may cause it ] Beardies need to be warm enough to digest their food too so keep that in mind. What was the reason that it was determined that this is the only way to feed her ?