1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!
  1. Kristeen Haugen

Kristeen Haugen Bearded Dragon Egg

Hi everyone.
    I have had my beardie for just over a year now. He seems small for his age and a bit thin. He eats his greens (although overly picky) I’m still trying to find the greens that he can eat everyday that are good for him. So because he’s a bit small for his age I think I have been giving him hornworm to fatten him up a bit. Since I have been doing this I noticed he’s now not eating as much, but once I offer him a hornworm he eats it up like he’s staving. I read a post someone had posted and something was said about beardies getting “hooked” on hornworms. I think this is what’s going on with my lil crack head beardie lol. How do I get him to eat again? If I just stop giving him hornworms will he starve himself to the point where it could be dangerous for him or will he eventually eat when he gets hungry enough? I do give him calcium daily and multi vitamins weekly.
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Hatchling Dragon

3. kaylynangel

He should be offered dubia roaches or crickets I recommend dubias at least 2 times per week - dusted w/ either the calcium and vitamins alternating between the 2--- here is a website for nutrition-
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    please try this and keep us posted
    kaylyn
  4. Kristeen Haugen

Oh I offer him crickets everyday still again because he seems small. But he doesn’t seem interested in them either.
  5. kaylynangel

6. kaylynangel

is he eating at all ? What is he eating for vegies? The lighting in the tank is crucial - can you post pics of his tank and lighting please we will start there
    kaylyn
  7. Kristeen Haugen

6D4732F5-8B0B-46BE-89C1-1B70A8B068A1.jpeg EFBB3F12-E914-463C-B04D-7C74787CA16D.jpeg 8A3B3CAF-B1A9-44F5-8B95-771460A649C9.jpeg

The red light I only turned on to show you. His tank gets real cold at night. Right now for greens he’s eating bokchoy. But I’m growing him some parsley and mustard greens. He is eating but only maybe 3 or 4 crickets a day and no greens. He seems to have energy cause I let him out of his tank and he is all over the place.
  8. kaylynangel

I am going to give you alot of info so please dont be overwhelmed --- we will start w/ the UVB -- this is what is recommended for UVB
    Which UVB light should I use?
    The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please replace ASAP-- this is and can be the cause for him sleeping so much and he cannot digest his food properly as well --
    Next substrate - alot of people use textured non adhesive shelf liner- it is cheap and can be bought at Home Depot Lowes or a local hardware store- the insects cannot get underneath and it can be cleaned w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle -- you can also go w/ ceramic tile - you would need to have it cut to tank size so I would recommend you dont do it if your going to be changing tanks out again- it too is also cheap and can be purchased at the stores listed above and cleaned the same way--
    Next get rid of the red light --- it can cause damage to his eyes and it disturbs their sleep- they need darkness like you and I-- replace w/ a CHE - ceramic heat emitter NO LIGHT if you need extra heat - the only lights you need in the tank are a good UVB mounted inside the tank and depending on the bulb a T 8 or T 5 regarding distance- a good bright white basking bulb -- that keeps your basking temp to 95-105 for adults and 100-110 for babies--- if you want extra light like on the cool side of tank use a regular household bulb like a 60 watt -
    Temps should be taken w/a Infrared heat gun for the most accurate basking temp - they can be purchased at Walmart Lowes Home Depot for around $10-- I would put a digital probe on the cool side of tank and it should be around 80's in the day and not below 65 at nite -- I am going to post a pic of my tank so you can see it and how its set up the dome in the middle of the tank is a CHE -- it is used in the winter -- [​IMG] -- the light dome on the far right is a regular house hold bulb--- please get your lighting changed out and you will notice a difference in the behavior of him --- and please ditch the red bulb--- he will start eating again -- please do this ASAP -- here is a nutrition website
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

kaylyn
  9. Kristeen Haugen

Ok thank you so much for all your help. I will go after work and get the proper bulbs. I will keep you posted on things as well.
    The Lizard Lady likes this.