• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie had a reddish/pink color in the white of his poop, should I worry?

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie, who is about 6 weeks old had a reddish/pink color in the white of his poop today when I gave him a bath, should I be concerned? I'm not sure what it is or what could have caused it and I have never seen it before, what could it be and what should I do? Please help me.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry for answering your question with more questions, but it will help analyze your scenario.

What have you been feeding your dragon?
What UV light make and model do you have?
What temps do you have?
What are you using to measure your temps?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is he a pet store baby?
Reason i ask is that the multi color food pellets they give the babies at most pet stores can and often do cause discoloration in the feces. Or was this blood red?

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm sorry, he is about 6 months old, not 6 weeks.

I feed him mustard green & crickets...sometimes he eats squash, cucumber, apple, shredded carrots.......

I am not sure what make a model of UV light it is and he has a in cage thermoter thing and on the warm side it's right around 115 and the cool side is around 80

Is he ok?

And what is brumation?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First we reaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to know exactly what kind and what brand that uvb is. Many are just not suited to a bearded dragons needs.

Now... Have you fed him anything with red in it ? Like raspberries.. that sort of thing...

Also, Brumation is a time period ( which varies dragon to dragon) when the animal hibernates when food sources are scarce... this instinct is present even in captive raised/bred animals. However, if the animal is less than say 5-7 months, then I would highly recommend a fecal exam done by a qualified herp vet.

Also, diet is so important... supplements of calcium and vitamins are necessary to help balance out the nutrients a dragon needs to have healthy body functions, and bone density.

Husbandry and genes are the trick to all this... if the animal comes from healthy stock, and good to excellent husbandry is employed, then normally you shouldn't have any issues... but they can pop up... make note of all behaviors, weigh weekly so you know how they are growing and at what rate.

keep asking questions.. read a whole lot... on forums, not books. forums offer the most up to date information, even if some are rather basic, not growing with the hobby, still good information.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It may be the food you give him. Is he acting normal? And prior to the red tinged poo, when was the last time he pooped?

Bernie had red tinge in her poo on occassion. We were told this was due to her ovulating. Bernie turned out to be a she.

And on the other hand, it is hard to say without having a look at your beardie and having a professional herp vet take a look at him.

As Janie points out, we really need to know the make and model of your UV light.

Lastly, is your temp reading from the stick ons?

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He is eating normally....he is a fat boy. He just ate a full bowl of mustard greens and a buttload of crickets. He has been pooping normally as well. I have not had any problems with that. He seems to be ok overall. He has not been acting different. I know he is in the 2nd-3rd stage of his shedding right now. (He sheds in stages and I am not sure if that is normal for all of them) His tail I anterior (front part of his head) shed first, then his legs, and then the posterior (back portion of his head) and his body which is what is starting to shed now.

Like I said, he seems to be acting normal, that just came out and I have never seen that before. Could he have gotten a scratch or something maybe?

I will look into the UV thing and get back to you guys cause I just don't remember what it is.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think it is either food related or your he is a she. But I think she is very young to see any monthly period evidence in the pee. Was the red in the white part of the poo?

Let us know what the UV is and what device you are using to measure your temps.

Oh and shedding in stages is normal.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
But it was red.. not say.. orange ? orange in the urates usually indicates a high calcium level that isn't being processed... What schedule do you use the cal on daily, weekly ? ;)
Janie

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He has not had it since that one time when he was in the bath, so I am assuming he is ok. And I did find out what type of UV thingy it was and it's a ReptiGlo 10.0 UVB.....And thats not the good one right? Thanks for all of your guys input/information, I truly appreciate it!!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah the reptiglo has been shown to cause some health issues
you want a Reptisun 10.0 tube bulb its the best flourescent on the market.
If you go to the main site page for here and click on bearded dragon supplies you can grab one pretty cheap

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Brian says, the ReptiGlo 10.0 has been known to have issues with bearded dragons. I'm a fan of the ReptiSun 10.0 tube. Here's the link Brian referenced:
ReptiSun 10.0