• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Morph questions

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It depends on their parents, you remember those “four squares” they taught you about in high school that if Aa has a baby with Bb they’ll have children with the eight results of the combination of the 2 (ab, AB, Ab, aB, ba, BA, Ba, bA) it’s nothing like that,,..... that was just a simplistic version of how genes work, its far more complex than that. Youd have to go back at least 2 generations to get a sorta of an idea, sorry this didn’t probably help :(

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
It depends on their parents, you remember those “four squares” they taught you about in high school that if Aa has a baby with Bb they’ll have children with the eight results of the combination of the 2 (ab, AB, Ab, aB, ba, BA, Ba, bA) it’s nothing like that,,..... that was just a simplistic version of how genes work, its far more complex than that. Youd have to go back at least 2 generations to get a sorta of an idea, sorry this didn’t probably help :(
From what I gathered it's not like cats and dogs where some will look like the dads and some will look like the mum but a mixture of the genes from not only the parents but from pass generations. So there is absolutely no possibility that any will come out exactly the same or close to looking like the parents? I was thinking maybe Zero would just overwhelm any Hypo and Trans genes since if u add the Hypo and Trans morph to a Zero you wouldn't really notice it. That's assuming if the last two generations of each parents were the same as the parents. So you will get some that looks like zeros and some that looks less white due to the dilation of the zero morph?

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
i've been offered a male zero with a complete setup and was wondering if I should accept. I'm aware of the costs so just wondering if I can recoup some of it with what or may not come out.

I was hoping for Giant Zeros judging by the way Lizzy has grown :cool:

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i've been offered a male zero with a complete setup and was wondering if I should accept. I'm aware of the costs so just wondering if I can recoup some of it with what or may not come out.

I was hoping for Giant Zeros judging by the way Lizzy has grown :cool:
That would be an interesting project, your beardie does have nice patterning if I remember, can you post another pic of her? and if you intend to pair them , get buyer’s before you do you so you dont end up with a bunch of babies.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
That would be an interesting project, your beardie does have nice patterning if I remember, can you post another pic of her? and if you intend to pair them , get buyer’s before you do you so you dont end up with a bunch of babies.
20210522_064712.jpg

She's currently in full shed mode. Tail first then body then limbs, rinse and repeat. Think she likes the heat and fluffiness of our cat.

20210515_184207.jpg

This is a pic of her looking fat after a big meal and chilling vertically to help aid digestion. Nothing better than letting gravity do all the hard work! This pic was taken before the body began to shed.

20210524_102742.jpg

Pic of her being nosy.

IMG-20210527-WA0000.jpg

And pic of her potential mate. Apparently he's 18 Months old and 15 inches long. The same or smaller size as Lizzy who isn't even 3 months old! Hope he likes big ladies! She has very big shoulder pads for him to grab on that's for sure.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
She's only still a baby so I don't intend to house them together until she is ready and even then only to mate. Just in case she decides to eat him.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think pairing them would make amazing looking babies, ud definitely make your money back, and she could end up popping out up to 50-70 fertile eggs, so definitely get some people interested before you mate them :)

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
Think I've decided not to do this now. I'm not allowed to do it as I have already been given permission to start a Indian Star tortoise breeding program which requires no additional variable expenses and very little maintenance. Besides I don't think I will be able to cope with 50-70 eating and pooping machines. Clutches of 2-6 rocks that barely move are so much more pleasant.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Think I've decided not to do this now. I'm not allowed to do it as I have already been given permission to start a Indian Star tortoise breeding program which requires no additional variable expenses and very little maintenance. Besides I don't think I will be able to cope with 50-70 eating and pooping machines. Clutches of 2-6 rocks that barely move are so much more pleasant.
I think thats a safer alternative, while 50-70 is the maximum amount of babies it is likely your girl could pop out at least 20, there’s plenty of bearded dragons out there, and tortoises dont get the love that i feel they should, i wish i had gotten one before i got into lizards again.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
I couldn't even find one Indian Star Tortoise to buy now in the UK as I believe you need a Class 10 exemption certificate to buy or trade them now. I've been offered a 5 years old female Indian Star tortoise from what looks like the only breeder in the UK, Shame you are in the USA otherwise you can have one of the babies if I can pull it off.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id definitely like to follow your journey if you do decide to get her, ive always had a soft spot for torts :) if you ever have any updates on your two cage buddies definitely post it, as i think it would help with some of the stigma of beardies are only good with humans it is also super cute to see a slow tortoise with a crazy beardie.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
Lizzy is now 18 inches and eating fully grown locusts two at a time now. Not yet weighed her but she's got a bit of weight to her! She is now officially 3 months old!

20210609_162934.jpg

You can also see Ralph in the background thinking nobody can see him back there. Lizzy uses him as a ramp to get up there.

20210609_162433.jpg

And this is the backend of the new female star tortoise I got earlier this week! She was a bit shy as to be expected but is now eating and sleeping relatively normally now. I made three hides, one for each but they all seem to enjoy hugging together in one! I'm not sure if the tortoise thinks they are bearded dragons or the Lizzy thinking she is a tortoise! They all seem to get along fine. At night time, Ralph and Sexy Chic (not yet named) squeeze together in the right and Lizzy sleeps right on top or on the adjacent vine.
20210607_214029.jpg

Couldn't get a clear view of the other two in the back since it was dark in there. This pic does make her look chubby and cute.

Lizzy is great though. She poops twice a day now and exactly at the same time and at the same place. Makes it so easy to keep it clean. She uses the upside down water bowl below the basking lamp (first pic) as a toilet and she sticks her butt out from there. Once she is done she is every so careful not to touch it and then runs a mile from it as if it's toxic! I think Ralph knows where she goes and makes sure he doesn't bask near there. Guess they both must have made some mutual agreement that I don't know about.

The two tortoises aren't yet sexually active. They both have a few more years left before that happens but at least they can be childhood friends too.

Will probably keep everyone updated in my introduction post as soon as something happens.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I love this series, please keep us posted, i think its so cute having them all be together as one big family :) can u post a top down pic of ralph and the new girl, i wanna see how different they are carapace wise.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
I love this series, please keep us posted, i think its so cute having them all be together as one big family :) can u post a top down pic of ralph and the new girl, i wanna see how different they are carapace wise.
She is about 2cm bigger all round. I didn't want to handle her as she's only just getting used to the new friends and house. She has prominent signs of pyramiding though, unlike Ralph who is virtually smooth in comparison. She came from a highly decorated breeder (probably the only one in the UK). She was the smoothest one he had apparently. I will see if I can post some pics of her as soon as she ventures far out enough to do so.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
IMG-20210611-WA0002.jpg

Lizzy in the background trying to get in on the action.

IMG-20210611-WA0003.jpg

Notice how much dryer her shell looks compared to Ralph? They both kinda sleepy after a big meal. She has more thicker white stripes than Ralph. Kids want to name her Donna now... *sigh* (yes the purple Ninja Turtle).

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Lol of course they want to name her that, Do u know how old she is compared to him? I always forget female torts are sometimes bigger than boys , And yea she does look a little dry poor girl , how come it almost looks like she has stretch marks on her shell near her butt , is that a cause of the shell pyramiding do u think?