• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More rookie questions

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Why does my beardie need a bath if he’s from the desert? How do I bathe him? How old r beardies before u can sex them? I order dubias online at an incredible discount compared to pet shop prices. I’m still spending about $100/ month does this sound right?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Why does my beardie need a bath if he’s from the desert? How do I bathe him? How old r beardies before u can sex them? I order dubias online at an incredible discount compared to pet shop prices. I’m still spending about $100/ month does this sound right?
I am actually not positive why you need to bath them on a regular basis. Experts here may have an answer better than mine. I was told it’s to keep them hydrated, but there’s debate about the validity of it being an effective way to hydrate them floating around the beardie world. I continue to bath my baby about every 3 days ‘cause he seems to like them. Also, if beardies become impacted bathing in warm water may help them poo. If it’s not a severe case of impaction some warm water and a little bit of tummy rubbing and viola you got floating poo and a happier beardie. :)

To bathe you’ll need to use warm water . . . think bathing a baby warm . . . I test mine with my wrist like I did when my kids were little. Lol Use a tub that’s big enough for your beardie to fully fit in and even to roam/move about a bit (mine is still a medium sized Tupperware container as he’s still tiny). I think depth of water various with beardie. For babies you only need a little (like up to knees). For juvenile and adults you can fill water up to their shoulders, I believe. Let beardie soak for about 25-30 minutes. My beardie comes out sooner as his water cools pretty fast in the smaller container. Always supervise beardie while in bath.

I think you can sex beardies when they are around 6 months old. Experts are able to tell sooner probably. I’m still waiting to sex my baby. Lol I keep referring to mine as a he (but she could be developing a complex). :) If you see two bulges on each side at the base of the tail then you got a boy. If you see a single bulge in the center under the base of the tail you got a girl.

I’ve placed my first order of 25 phoenix worms and 25 dubia online last week. Wanted to see how it went before I ordered masses. Still waiting for them. I don't remember how much it came to with shipping. Currently I’m doing a run to the pet store about every 3 days. I pick up 60 extra small roaches and 60 extra small crickets and it’s costing me about $15.00 each trip. I do roughly 10 trips a month, so it’s costing me around $150/month for 600 crickets and 600 roaches. Not sure what quantity you’re getting for $100/month, but if it’s near the quantity I’m getting then you’re doing well.

Hope this helps.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh and I forgot to mention that bathing will help with shedding, too. Got that tip from peeps here and it was a godsend for lil Dex. :)

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am actually not positive why you need to bath them on a regular basis. Experts here may have an answer better than mine. I was told it’s to keep them hydrated, but there’s debate about the validity of it being an effective way to hydrate them floating around the beardie world. I continue to bath my baby about every 3 days ‘cause he seems to like them. Also, if beardies become impacted bathing in warm water may help them poo. If it’s not a severe case of impaction some warm water and a little bit of tummy rubbing and viola you got floating poo and a happier beardie. :)

To bathe you’ll need to use warm water . . . think bathing a baby warm . . . I test mine with my wrist like I did when my kids were little. Lol Use a tub that’s big enough for your beardie to fully fit in and even to roam/move about a bit (mine is still a medium sized Tupperware container as he’s still tiny). I think depth of water various with beardie. For babies you only need a little (like up to knees). For juvenile and adults you can fill water up to their shoulders, I believe. Let beardie soak for about 25-30 minutes. My beardie comes out sooner as his water cools pretty fast in the smaller container. Always supervise beardie while in bath.

I think you can sex beardies when they are around 6 months old. Experts are able to tell sooner probably. I’m still waiting to sex my baby. Lol I keep referring to mine as a he (but she could be developing a complex). :) If you see two bulges on each side at the base of the tail then you got a boy. If you see a single bulge in the center under the base of the tail you got a girl.

I’ve placed my first order of 25 phoenix worms and 25 dubia online last week. Wanted to see how it went before I ordered masses. Still waiting for them. I don't remember how much it came to with shipping. Currently I’m doing a run to the pet store about every 3 days. I pick up 60 extra small roaches and 60 extra small crickets and it’s costing me about $15.00 each trip. I do roughly 10 trips a month, so it’s costing me around $150/month for 600 crickets and 600 roaches. Not sure what quantity you’re getting for $100/month, but if it’s near the quantity I’m getting then you’re doing well.

Hope this helps.
The 1st place I was buying online came recommended. They take at least 5 days to ship or more. Then they took over a week in the mail. This could be my location or something. The 2nd shipment had 25% DOA they were going to replace 100 dubias I never received them. The online place I’m using now is in Glendale, AZ they ship Monday and Wednesday. I have been getting dubias w/ in 3 days. I like the way they package them. I get 200 for $14 I order 400, shipping is about $13 I think it’s fast shipping price. So 400 dubias for a total of $42. Because it’s so hot I have to pick up at post office. They don’t want them all day on a truck or left in a hot mailbox. At petsmart I was paying $9 for 25 dubias. Mail order or breeding is the only way to go. Breadies especially babies r not for the low income household. I would think because of their needs that beardies have a high mortality rate.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The 1st place I was buying online came recommended. They take at least 5 days to ship or more. Then they took over a week in the mail. This could be my location or something. The 2nd shipment had 25% DOA they were going to replace 100 dubias I never received them. The online place I’m using now is in Glendale, AZ they ship Monday and Wednesday. I have been getting dubias w/ in 3 days. I like the way they package them. I get 200 for $14 I order 400, shipping is about $13 I think it’s fast shipping price. So 400 dubias for a total of $42. Because it’s so hot I have to pick up at post office. They don’t want them all day on a truck or left in a hot mailbox. At petsmart I was paying $9 for 25 dubias. Mail order or breeding is the only way to go. Breadies especially babies r not for the low income household. I would think because of their needs that beardies have a high mortality rate.
Hmm sounds like online ordering is the way to go. I started with a small quantity just to test how the site I ordered from went. If it goes south I'll switch to a different one. I have them shipping direct to mail box. We are currently in our summer months and it usually doesn't even hit the 90s so I think I'm good. Winter will be when I'll need to pick them up. It gets cold here in Maine.

I've been thinking about starting a dubia colony. Been researching it. Haven't quite decided. I did talk to the owner of the pet store where I got Dexter and she said she could set me up with young breeders if I decided to try. Pretty decent of her since it will be taking money away from her. lol

Yeah, I've discovered that beardies are expensive and time consuming. Dex is right now anyways. I think because he is a youngster and eating more bugs than veges. Hoping it will be less expensive when his diet changes to more veges than bugs. lol