• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moisture control

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! Been trying to work out the kinks for my new guy. Uvb/ heat/ moisture is pretty solid during the day, however at night the humidity is rising to 61-69... How concerned should I be about this? And how can I fix it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi guys! Been trying to work out the kinks for my new guy. Uvb/ heat/ moisture is pretty solid during the day, however at night the humidity is rising to 61-69... How concerned should I be about this? And how can I fix it?
Its fine for now --- you can place a sack of rice like in a sock place it in the tank - do you have any water bowls in the tank?

Milestone97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its fine for now --- you can place a sack of rice like in a sock place it in the tank - do you have any water bowls in the tank?
I do, though he won't actually use it.. left it in just to be safe, been giving him water by hand.. Think I should just pull it?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do, though he won't actually use it.. left it in just to be safe, been giving him water by hand.. Think I should just pull it?
Yes this is what is raising your humidity level in the tank ---- are you using a digital probe hygrometer? If not the analog ones are always incorrect --- please get one place on the back center wall of the tank -- it will read the whole tank -- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
or something similar --- no combo ones

ShinyHunter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, MileStone97!

I agree with Sadie, it sure is the water bowl, from what I know and I've seen with my beardie, they dont really drink much from still water / non-moving water. So I dont see much benefit on keeping one in their enclosure, I'd recommend removing it. What I do to keep my beardie hydrated is give her one weekly bath (also because she loves to run around her poop lol), mist her veggies lightly and make sure to gut-load their insects. They don't need daily water intake, they get 99% of their hydration from bugs/veggies/greens.

And yes! Get a digital hygrometer, analog. ones are always off by 10-25% depending on the brand tbh.