• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moderate Pinworms

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
Special thanks to Hdrydr31 I got a fecal sample done and found out that my beardie has moderate pinworms. I am going to be seeing the exotic reptile vet but wanted to know ahead of time, whats the best way to get rid of pinworms? Thanks Hdrydr31 for pointing that out about getting that fecal sample test done. Feel relieved and have peace of mind :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone,
Special thanks to Hdrydr31 I got a fecal sample done and found out that my beardie has moderate pinworms. I am going to be seeing the exotic reptile vet but wanted to know ahead of time, whats the best way to get rid of pinworms? Thanks Hdrydr31 for pointing that out about getting that fecal sample test done. Feel relieved and have peace of mind :)

Well I'm glad you know now that he's got some pinworms to deal with. Most vets treat with Pancur duration varies from vet to vet I've found. You will want to make sure you got some probiotics to help restore good gut flora that the antibiotics wipe clean of in the process of treatment... Meds are really hard on their bellies some reduce their eating, some loose their appetite and then there are those who it never phases them.
Again I'm glad and also sad but pinworms really are not that bad and they naturally have them in low numbers it's when they get stressed for whatever reason the numbers can get out of hand then cause issues.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you Hdrydr31. Least when I see the vet have an idea what to expect. Since its moderate Pinworms, not sure if he or she will want to give meds at this stage yet. What kind of Probiotics do you recommend? The other reason I ask because as I am sure most vets want to make their $$ on medicine and I have looked up this Panacur medicine and can get online for cheaper so in case they want to say $50 for a bottle of Panacur I can say no thanks or something. And also to they might want to give out some probiotics. When I first got my beardie have never gone to a vet so this is good checkup physical exam type of thing. He appeared to be healthy but noticed some signs with him, acting tired, wanting to take several naps, wanting to be on cooler side temps or anywhere that is cool. I even put him on basking spot area, he still refuses to sit there. He just jumps down and finds a cool spot on the ceramic tile so when I touch him he's cold. I am like what the heck? Why are you hiding and cold? I am going to guess that he's feeling the Brumation symptoms. I am sure the Reptile Vet will explain everything least I will feel more comfortable.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can get kids cultural packets just make sure you get the unflavored no added sugar one..you can also go online to beautifuldragon.co
They will likely start treatment pancur was really cheap when I had to put mine on it. parasites will mimic brumation, since he's got pinworms he can't brumate until you get a all clear fecal.. so you may have to remove any hides.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks, I took your suggestion and removed his hides from his viv. I also did some more research and a lot of people saying they treated their beardies with Pancur medication and just only a few dosages not a whole lot but a few and he should be back to normal. Plus since he is in captivity, he should not really brumate at this age range. He is 6/7 months so I am thinking Pinworms has a lot to do with this matter of his symptoms. As you stated, parasites mimic brumation which it does look like he is brumating but I been reading on beardeddragonlady.com site and she even mentioned beardies usually do not brumate till 1 years old. In a rarity, it can happen sooner but I doubt this so I'm glad you mentioned this and was very strict. A lot of people do not understand parasites can affect beardie and if waited too long especially if he is brumating can multiply and then who knows what. I am the type of person who wants to deal with things right away before things get worse. Then, of course, do things to prevent so can limit your time at the vet. Not to say avoiding the vet but you know what I mean? Do the annual checkups, fecal exams, etc. Most of the things can be avoided if you do things to prevent them. The sooner I treat him the longer it will get worse hence why I made the appointment with the Vet so can be seen and of course, he or she will decide what is best. I found this Reptile Vet from this website:
https://arav.org/

Some vets I hear from other are quite scary so you want the real deal especially dealing with your exotic beardie :) I just want my beardie to be back to his normal self. He always basks in the morning and then hides maybe after an hour or two and tries to find a cool spot in the viv. Whereas before he usually basks, eats, basks, finds another spot to chill then when its time for bed, the lights go off, he goes into his cave. Now it's been more persistent. Going to bed earlier way early, eats very little and not that much time basking :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, I took your suggestion and removed his hides from his viv. I also did some more research and a lot of people saying they treated their beardies with Pancur medication and just only a few dosages not a whole lot but a few and he should be back to normal. Plus since he is in captivity, he should not really brumate at this age range. He is 6/7 months so I am thinking Pinworms has a lot to do with this matter of his symptoms. As you stated, parasites mimic brumation which it does look like he is brumating but I been reading on beardeddragonlady.com site and she even mentioned beardies usually do not brumate till 1 years old. In a rarity, it can happen sooner but I doubt this so I'm glad you mentioned this and was very strict. A lot of people do not understand parasites can affect beardie and if waited too long especially if he is brumating can multiply and then who knows what. I am the type of person who wants to deal with things right away before things get worse. Then, of course, do things to prevent so can limit your time at the vet. Not to say avoiding the vet but you know what I mean? Do the annual checkups, fecal exams, etc. Most of the things can be avoided if you do things to prevent them. The sooner I treat him the longer it will get worse hence why I made the appointment with the Vet so can be seen and of course, he or she will decide what is best. I found this Reptile Vet from this website:
https://arav.org/

Some vets I hear from other are quite scary so you want the real deal especially dealing with your exotic beardie :) I just want my beardie to be back to his normal self. He always basks in the morning and then hides maybe after an hour or two and tries to find a cool spot in the viv. Whereas before he usually basks, eats, basks, finds another spot to chill then when its time for bed, the lights go off, he goes into his cave. Now it's been more persistent. Going to bed earlier way early, eats very little and not that much time basking :(
Yes they typically do not fully brumate until over the age of 1, when they are on the young side they will do what many of us call partial brumation where they will get lazy decreased appetite may or may not come out of hides.. they may do this for a week or two at a time..Then some will do longer periods of sleeping like a couple of weeks then up to eat/bask/poop for a day or two then down again. Then there are some that sleep for months!! longest I've heard was 6months!!
If a beardie goes to brumate and has parasites of some sort what happens is the reserves they have built up to get them thru will be eaten up by the parasites depleting the dragon's stores..In some cases the beardies don't even make it out of brumation! Some wake up VERY ill. That is the reason it's soo important to get a clear fecal and good health report before fall and in the spring once they wake and become active again. A healthy dragon shouldn't loose much weight if any at all. So yes it is way easier to treat parasites in the early phase, just know that at times you treat 1 parasite only to discover another...(I say this because it happened to my Izzy! She had pinworms and after treatment she also had round worms lol so back on pancur but at a higher dose) so you want to make sure that after treatment and after a few poops get a sample tested again.
It is important that they get seen by exotic vet that has experience with reptiles/beardies. I am glad your having your kiddo checked out and treated.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, sadly I think that's what he has is the partial brumation. I will find out more this Saturday with the Vet. In the mornings, he will bask. Maybe an hour or two later, he will go into his cave. I try offering food he only eats a little bit then sleeps or rest/ take naps. I will definitely make sure the parasites are completely gone. This is terrible :( Thanks for the info really helps :)

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How he is in the mornings then later want to sleep.

Attachments

• IMG-6229.JPG
    IMG-6229.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG-6231.JPG
    IMG-6231.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG-6200.JPG
    IMG-6200.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 14

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I treated my girl Dolly for pinworms just after I got her. We used Panacur Plus from bearded dragon.co and a probiotic from them also. The meds were rough on her and she ate during treatment but after we were done she went through a period where she didn't want to eat. I feel like Panacur is such a generic common thing that it shouldn't cost that much at the vet.

SoCalSk8r

Bearded Dragon Egg
I treated my girl Dolly for pinworms just after I got her. We used Panacur Plus from bearded dragon.co and a probiotic from them also. The meds were rough on her and she ate during treatment but after we were done she went through a period where she didn't want to eat. I feel like Panacur is such a generic common thing that it shouldn't cost that much at the vet.

Hi Patsy
How long after the meds did it take for her to eat? Stitch has been off Pancur for a week and still isn’t eating. I have been feeding her using a syringe (reptiboost) but I’m hoping she goes back to feeding soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Honestly, it was months. She was treated in May and it was probably August/September when she ate on her own again. All you can do is keep trying.

SoCalSk8r

Bearded Dragon Egg
Honestly, it was months. She was treated in May and it was probably August/September when she ate on her own again. All you can do is keep trying.

Good to know. Luckily she likes the taste of Reptiboost so at least she is getting some nutrients at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk