• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Millet for enrichment

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!
Within the next few weeks I'll be undergoing an armour vivarium transformation(probably polystyrene/grout). I was tossing around the idea of a permanent digbox/meal worm hunting space as the armour is plenty big enough. The trouble I'm having is finding a medium that is as safe as possible, while still aesthetically appealing. What are your opinions on millet, and why?

I'm not in any rush at the moment as my baby is only about 6inches, and won't be big enough for it for AT LEAST a couple months.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Im not sure I understand, you mean millet as in the grass seed? you want to use it as a sand substitute in a dig box? if so, I probably wouldnt use anything organic, if it gets damp it will go moldy and you will end up with bacterial growth. Get a bag of excavator clay, beardies love digging in it and its completely safe. Otherwise just use play sand, the impaction risk isn't a factor if your dragon is well enough hydrated.

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im not sure I understand, you mean millet as in the grass seed? you want to use it as a sand substitute in a dig box? if so, I probably wouldnt use anything organic, if it gets damp it will go moldy and you will end up with bacterial growth. Get a bag of excavator clay, beardies love digging in it and its completely safe. Otherwise just use play sand, the impaction risk isn't a factor if your dragon is well enough hydrated.

The substrate in his temporary Viv is excavator clay. I like it, easy to work with and keep clean... but it dries to solid which isnt what I had in mind. Which brought me to millet; I did mean the seed! I'm not worried about bacteria because I spot clean daily, and vacuum debris every other (which is when I'd replace the dig box substrate). Unless that wouldn't be often enough? I may scratch the idea, and come up with something else entirely before I start! Lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you want to do a dig box, sand is your best option. I wouldn't let any bugs live in the dig box though because it will just become a cesspool of bacteria (bugs poop too). Bugs will nibble your dragon if there isn't food for them, they will also eat each other and rotting bug carcasses smell horrible.

Bearded dragons shouldn't eat meal worms. Their shells are too hard for them to digest. Superworms are better than meal worms but you also have to watch out because super worms are high in fat.

OhHeyCiara

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you want to do a dig box, sand is your best option. I wouldn't let any bugs live in the dig box though because it will just become a cesspool of bacteria (bugs poop too). Bugs will nibble your dragon if there isn't food for them, they will also eat each other and rotting bug carcasses smell horrible.

Bearded dragons shouldn't eat meal worms. Their shells are too hard for them to digest. Superworms are better than meal worms but you also have to watch out because super worms are high in fat.

Thank you! I did know the deal about the shell hardness! They're a treat! My plan was to toss 2 or 3 in at a time and watch. Bugs are gross, I'd never make my baby actually live with them. Lol