• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Melted foam background

LarkAnn

Bearded Dragon Egg
I built a background foam, great stuff with grout and good sealant but the basking area melted. I sealed the whole background against the tank in side. I was going to build some stair and maybe cover that area, any suggestions? She/he not sure yet only about 3 months old "Baby D". He outgrew his smaller tank an is in a 4 x 2 I believe and they say in about 10 months I will need a bigger enclosure. She loves climbing on the ledges and I have have looked at all you tube tutorials and did what they said, but it still melted and is starting to crack.

I used to just have flagstone for basking which heats up nicely and she seemed to like it.

Attachments

• 1217221509_HDR.jpg
    1217221509_HDR.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 0104231741a_HDR.jpg
    0104231741a_HDR.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 1218221305_HDR.jpg
    1218221305_HDR.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I built a background foam, great stuff with grout and good sealant but the basking area melted. I sealed the whole background against the tank in side. I was going to build some stair and maybe cover that area, any suggestions? She/he not sure yet only about 3 months old "Baby D". He outgrew his smaller tank an is in a 4 x 2 I believe and they say in about 10 months I will need a bigger enclosure. She loves climbing on the ledges and I have have looked at all you tube tutorials and did what they said, but it still melted and is starting to crack.

I used to just have flagstone for basking which heats up nicely and she seemed to like it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

I need to get you some help w/ this I am no good at this stuff-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I need to get you some help w/ this I am no good at this stuff-
Here is what he said
If the background melted, then part of it may have gotten too close to the light. I don't think melting is much risk at normal basking temps of around 100 (you'd have to double check the specs for the material used). It might be a good idea to suspend the basking light from an adjustable stand over the enclosure so it doesn't get as close to the background.

Latest posts