• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MBD or just being lazy??

BigHoss

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 4 month old Hypo Trans beardie named Chuck. When I bought him as a baby he always had a quirked leg while laying down. Not all the time. Then I noticed that he would walk on the back side of his right hand. Again, not all the time. I have been diligent on his calcium, with and without D. Also, I give him vitamins once a week. I have a Reptisun t5 10.0. It is a 24 inch and his cage is 36 inches long. It’s a 40 gal breeder. Basking is right at 105. What can I be doing wrong? Was he born with it maybe or is he just being lazy. When I hood him he just lays flat on my hand. Last night I went to a friends and his beardie is a bit older but stands strong and explores your arm and such. He felt so much stronger! Any suggestions or ideas what’s wrong if anything? Here’s pictures of him when he was a baby and a bit older. He’s much bigger now. You can see the one leg the day we got him. The reptile shop said I can exchange him if I want. They will give me a similar size and healthy one. But I feel bad for Chuck
9A063AA3-A99E-43EA-AC18-7AEDBD454B2A.jpeg
4AA3C6CC-66FB-4060-A143-C0AE689173AB.jpeg
BD5F6637-1E52-4152-B005-06550936AA15.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 4 month old Hypo Trans beardie named Chuck. When I bought him as a baby he always had a quirked leg while laying down. Not all the time. Then I noticed that he would walk on the back side of his right hand. Again, not all the time. I have been diligent on his calcium, with and without D. Also, I give him vitamins once a week. I have a Reptisun t5 10.0. It is a 24 inch and his cage is 36 inches long. It’s a 40 gal breeder. Basking is right at 105. What can I be doing wrong? Was he born with it maybe or is he just being lazy. When I hood him he just lays flat on my hand. Last night I went to a friends and his beardie is a bit older but stands strong and explores your arm and such. He felt so much stronger! Any suggestions or ideas what’s wrong if anything? Here’s pictures of him when he was a baby and a bit older. He’s much bigger now. You can see the one leg the day we got him. The reptile shop said I can exchange him if I want. They will give me a similar size and healthy one. But I feel bad for Chuck View attachment 31453View attachment 31452View attachment 31451
Can you post a pic of your screen please?

BigHoss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you able to see my pictures? I’m not sure if I insert as thumbnail or photo. I inserted as photos.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok screen is a wide whole type distance for top of screen directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- not sure about the leg it could be genetic but to answer I am going to have ahbd take a look and Tracie but we just need to make sure your uvb is correctly placed so no more issues come up
@ahbd
@drache613

BigHoss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok screen is a wide whole type distance for top of screen directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- not sure about the leg it could be genetic but to answer I am going to have ahbd take a look and Tracie but we just need to make sure your uvb is correctly placed so no more issues come up
@ahbd
@drache613
It is 8-10 inches away from his basking spot. It’s all brand new stuff. I spent a ton. Lol.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have asked another person to look at him I want to see what they think
Poor Chuck, It sounds like you're trying to take good care of him. There are beardies out there with the same problem, just type in " beardie walks on wrists " and you'll see a number of these right on this forum. That may be MBD or may be something genetic but it's not normal at all. One thing that would make Chuck a lot more comfortable is to get rid of the rocky textured floor. Use wadded newspaper or felt fabric. His wrists are going to get really sore and possibly develop sores on that rough surface..

I agree please change out the substrate even some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank would be easier on the ankle - you can find it at Walmart or you local home improvement store

BigHoss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poor Chuck, It sounds like you're trying to take good care of him. There are beardies out there with the same problem, just type in " beardie walks on wrists " and you'll see a number of these right on this forum. That may be MBD or may be something genetic but it's not normal at all. One thing that would make Chuck a lot more comfortable is to get rid of the rocky textured floor. Use wadded newspaper or felt fabric. His wrists are going to get really sore and possibly develop sores on that rough surface..

I agree please change out the substrate even some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank would be easier on the ankle - you can find it at Walmart or you local home improvement store
I know, I just put it in a couple weeks ago. It’s terrible. It’s a plastic mat with that texture. I was using paper towels. I’m going to get a reptile carpet next. He was doing this way before this substrate was installed.

thanks Sadie. Much appreciated. The reptile shop is willing to exchange him for a similar ages beardie. 2 things. I don’t want to give up on him but I also don’t want him to be a liability. I can’t spend tons of money on vet bills or give him the time if he needs special care daily.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know, I just put it in a couple weeks ago. It’s terrible. It’s a plastic mat with that texture. I was using paper towels. I’m going to get a reptile carpet next. He was doing this way before this substrate was installed.

thanks Sadie. Much appreciated. The reptile shop is willing to exchange him for a similar ages beardie. 2 things. I don’t want to give up on him but I also don’t want him to be a liability. I can’t spend tons of money on vet bills or give him the time if he needs special care daily.
Please look at the other forums post before you give him back - as long as your keeping his basking temps to what they need to be and your UVB up to par that is going to prevent a lot of health issues that are very common w/ not keeping them up to par - I dont want to talk you into something your not comfortable w/ either but at the same time I dont want him going to some one else that are going to be oblivious to his disability and not take care of him either- let me get you w/ the person who is very aware of beardies w/ disabilities

BigHoss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please look at the other forums post before you give him back - as long as your keeping his basking temps to what they need to be and your UVB up to par that is going to prevent a lot of health issues that are very common w/ not keeping them up to par - I dont want to talk you into something your not comfortable w/ either but at the same time I dont want him going to some one else that are going to be oblivious to his disability and not take care of him either- let me get you w/ the person who is very aware of beardies w/ disabilities
I know, Sadie. I am just worried about him not being able to stand when he gets bigger. He doesn’t walk around or climb on me when I hold him. He might be in pain? I will search other forums