• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male Voice

Paul Ivory

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had my two Beardies for over a year now (a male & female). I live by the coast and on nice warm days I take them on the seafront. Yesterday while out I bumped into a nice couple who approached and wanted to see my Beardies, they told me that they had owned 3 themselves, 2 females, living 14 years, and a large male which they had too pass on because he didn't get on with the owners husband, they sought out advice and the conclusion was that the Beardie didn't like the husband's voice/tone.
Anyway I have up to now never seen my Beardies beards go black & never heard a sound from them before, but unbelievably my male after a couple of minutes in proximity to the husband, turned his beard black & puffed, and his body colour darkened. I thought it best to take them home and so I put one on each shoulder and he was hissing until they were no longer in view. Once home put him back in his viv and he was fine.
Who would believe that the sound/tone of a certain male voice could have such effects.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
interesting... its quite possible that their primitive little ears hear in wavelengths that are inaudible to us. They may hear something in our voices that we cant hear ourselves. They could percieve that sound as something they would instinctively be afraid of in the wild, like the sound of a snake or a bird. That guys voice must have had an unusual tone to it, Ive never heard of a beardie reacting like that before to a sound, normally they dont seem bothered by noises at all.
I will store that nugget of info in the 'thing's that freak beardies out' section of my brain. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is so interesting! Anything is possible.

My male chameleon tolerates me, I feed him and clean up after him but he will not willingly walk out of his cage into my hand. My husband comes by and Bumble goes right up his arm. My nephew who I only see a few times a year came by, Bumble went straight to him! Animals sure have their quirks.