• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or Female?

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone I am looking for a little help on the sexy of my bearded dragon. Iv attached a couple of pic, I hope this is what you need to see. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
063FF5C8-3567-4FB4-9660-75960C6B0762.jpeg
70DE8C10-5585-4198-BAEA-B60E8B7212F6.jpeg

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you sure? I don't see any lines that suggest hemipenes and I don't see any pronounced femoral pores, which I expect to see in males. This looks female to me.

@Clayton0520 You might try this guide:
I see two bumps -- meaning male ------right above the vent

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I see two bumps -- meaning male ------right above the vent
I don't see any resources that say those 2 bumps above the vent mean anything. The hemipenal bulges are located in the base of the tail below the vent as shown in the the guide I posted... As a matter of fact, I see a triangular bulge right at the bottom of the crease of the vent in the center, which indicates female.

Do you have an article that says anything about the 2 bumps above the vent?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't see any resources that say those 2 bumps above the vent mean anything. The hemipenal bulges are located in the base of the tail below the vent as shown in the the guide I posted... As a matter of fact, I see a triangular bulge right at the bottom of the crease of the vent in the center, which suggests female.

Do you have an article that says anything about the 2 bumps above the vent?
No just that my two dragons are male and have the same look

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
No just that my two dragons are male and have the same look
How do you know they are male? Have they fathered clutches?

This photo that was posted is showing a classic female look in my opinion (unnoticeable femoral pores, no hemipenal bulges, but a post-vental triangular bulge), although the angle leaves much to be desired. It would have been better if the dragon was flat on a table with the tail lifted upwards but you get what you get.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
@Clayton0520 I just got home and picked up my male bearded dragon for reference. In the pictures you took, the position does not allow hemipenal bulges to be visible (but the femoral pores are very much so on my lizard). When he is in that position, I cannot tell without looking at the pores if he is male or female but when I hold him with my hand under his belly and lift his tail up, his hemipenal bulges become obvious. You can try taking a pic of yours in that position as well. The lack of obvious femoral pores strongly suggest female but genitalia are obviously the final say.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I really don't wanna nitpick the pictures anymore especially since I asked for a different angle and OP basically gave it to me but that angle happens to be 90 degrees perpendicular to what might show the presence or absence of a hemipenal bulge and as we all know, looking at a slight bulge from right above it is not the best angle. We want some angle and light to give us depth perception. This is exactly the type of picture we want:
a60f31a53ac0fc927e1fe27f28d76e95fd1f8a4dr1-1080-1011v2_uhq.jpg

Other than that, OP might do the flashlight test himself or take more pictures, from the angle in the above picture and of the entire dragon so we see its head to body proportions and shape. I can stare at the pictures already posted for 15 minutes and start seeing bulges then not see them and be driven crazy but it won't do much good. As of now, it still looks female to me cus I see no outstanding hemipenal bulges.