• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male mated then half dead

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I mated my beardies this morning.. everything went fine..they did there business, and about 3 hrs later the male has mouth open..eyes rolled back and is mainly unresponsive..he wasn't under direct heat light and is on cool side but I have him there now..I'll pick him up and he's like a ragdoll..no movement in legs or anything...it literally turned in about 2 hrs

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I mated my beardies this morning.. everything went fine..they did there business, and about 3 hrs later the male has mouth open..eyes rolled back and is mainly unresponsive..he wasn't under direct heat light and is on cool side but I have him there now..I'll pick him up and he's like a ragdoll..no movement in legs or anything...it literally turned in about 2 hrs
Wow I have not a clue and I am so sorry -- let me see if I can get some help and some answers for you- in the mean time go over your basking temps and how your taking them no stick ons please and the UVB your using a coil or a long tube fixture -

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have him in a 4x4x2 there's a corner with. A basking spot and uvb bulb and heat lamp bulb...it usually sits at about 105-110 under I directly and the basking spot area is pretty wide so there room to be around it..I have 3 led lights to light up enclosure plus a uvb tube light running entire length of cage

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have him in a 4x4x2 there's a corner with. A basking spot and uvb bulb and heat lamp bulb...it usually sits at about 105-110 under I directly and the basking spot area is pretty wide so there room to be around it..I have 3 led lights to light up enclosure plus a uvb tube light running entire length of cage
And thank u..I'm geeking out...he was totally awesome and ate some red leaf lettuce and some lobster roaches and had sex..lol..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And thank u..I'm geeking out...he was totally awesome and ate some red leaf lettuce and some lobster roaches and had sex..lol..
Ok so the LED lights I would get rid of especially if they are colored - this does not have any bearing on his condition but any colored bulbs are terrible on the eyes and if on at night they disturb the sleep- next your uvb is a T 5 or T 8? How old is the uvb bulb? The lobster roaches were they no bigger than the space between his eyes?

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
The led are white and I just have em because the enclosure is still dark with the other lights the uvb bulbs are 3 weeks old and t8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The led are white and I just have em because the enclosure is still dark with the other lights the uvb bulbs are 3 weeks old and t8
Ok please have a piece of basking decor directly underneath approx 6-8 inches- this is important - ok so I have contacted 2 people one is on late at night I hope she responds tonight- what is his behavior now?

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok please have a piece of basking decor directly underneath approx 6-8 inches- this is important - ok so I have contacted 2 people one is on late at night I hope she responds tonight- what is his behavior now?
I do..the spot has to rocks and then there's a hide that brings him up to about 6" from light ..and I'm sure he has passed...and thank u for everything..I'm just dumbfounded beyond.. I literally do everything by the book on all aspects just cause there my babies..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do..the spot has to rocks and then there's a hide that brings him up to about 6" from light ..and I'm sure he has passed...and thank u for everything..I'm just dumbfounded beyond.. I literally do everything by the book on all aspects just cause there my babies..
Aww that is terrible - I am dumbfounded - I still am looking forward to the responses from the people i contacted - I

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Must be a heart attack.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Let’s not mate and breed; it’s a lot of work and knowledge. Typically after a Beardie Lays eggs u need to do calcium everyday and feed lots of protein for 2 weeks following the laying of the eggs & lots of water and baths due to dehydration. So maybe the same for breeding. Rite now give him a bathe he’s prolly dehydrated also, I wud feed a healthy amount of good prieteun like crickets and superworms maybe a hornworm or 2 befroe breedign dusted/sprinkled with calcium powder, let him digest for 2 hours and then get to mating; they need energy!!! He following the mating he prolly needs lots of protein and calcium and proper heat and UVB. Consider replacing the UVB if u haven’t done so it needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously. The best and most proper is the long tubular one it’s the Reptisun 10.0 T5 can only be orderd on Amazon or at a specialty reptile store. Improper UVB will cause a Beardie to be lethargic: unable to move, walk or eat. Never use colored or coiled heat bulbs or UVB bulbs and make sure he has a hideaway like under a hammock u can place a soft cloth over so under us a shady spot and get a fleece blanket they love it.

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let’s not mate and breed; it’s a lot of work and knowledge. Typically after a Beardie Lays eggs u need to do calcium everyday and feed lots of protein for 2 weeks following the laying of the eggs & lots of water and baths due to dehydration. So maybe the same for breeding. Rite now give him a bathe he’s prolly dehydrated also, I wud feed a healthy amount of good prieteun like crickets and superworms maybe a hornworm or 2 befroe breedign dusted/sprinkled with calcium powder, let him digest for 2 hours and then get to mating; they need energy!!! He following the mating he prolly needs lots of protein and calcium and proper heat and UVB. Consider replacing the UVB if u haven’t done so it needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously. The best and most proper is the long tubular one it’s the Reptisun 10.0 T5 can only be orderd on Amazon or at a specialty reptile store. Improper UVB will cause a Beardie to be lethargic: unable to move, walk or eat. Never use colored or coiled heat bulbs or UVB bulbs and make sure he has a hideaway like under a hammock u can place a soft cloth over so under us a shady spot and get a fleece blanket they love it.
So I've owned beardies for about 8 years..I had 4 til he passed..they all have there own 4x4x2 enclosure with every type of hide, basking spots, hammocks, beds, toys, mirrors, and I also colonize super worms, lobster roaches, and have dubias on hand as well ..I have an abundance of calcium and vitamin and pretty much anything to do with a beardie for food and vitamins...each one of my setups have2 tube uvb lights,2 t8 uvb, 2 heat lamps bulbs for 2 different basking temperature as well as led clear lights just for a option lighting to see better..all 4 get a weekly bath/hangout..all healthy, no stress or stress marks, they mated for a about a hr..they went to seperate sides...no fighting what so ever ..he went to sleep and never woke up

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ya I been asking people too and no one knows
I heard back from a vet tech and she said this
Hello,

OH my, not sure at all. The only thing that I can think of at the moment, would be possible
heart attack from stress?
I am so sorry, how terrible to have to go through.
How old was he?

Randyjr

Bearded Dragon Egg
I heard back from a vet tech and she said this
Hello,

OH my, not sure at all. The only thing that I can think of at the moment, would be possible
heart attack from stress?
I am so sorry, how terrible to have to go through.
How old was he