• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loose substrate?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I’ve always know to never used loss substrate like calcium sand or pellets, but recently I’ve been hearing that it’s ok to has things like cocohusk or more “edible” substrates, becuase it is less likely to cause impactation, is this true? I’m not Interested in changing to loose becuase it seems like more work, but I am very curious.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There is no 100% safe substrate, and thats coming from the person advocating loose substrates.
274FDE17-A6E8-4179-8249-1B41C27742C3.jpeg

As u can see i have all of the “no-nos” BUT it has 100% to do with how ur beardie is fed and its temperment, some bearded dragons eat their substrate, some dont, its best to bowl feed and to have them on a higer calcium/vitamin diet, and to start them young on it, coco fiber is probably is a good substrate, but ive never heard it’s easier to digest, btw in my humble opinion it’s easier to clean, just get a paper towel and scoop upp all thats dirty, my beardie only poops in her sand and in the reptibark, shes only pood on the cork bark once, and i talked to her and she promised not to do that anymore.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Loose substrates that i absolutely say are bad are , calcium sand, sand (thats not rated “play sand”) and anything with dust.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Loose substrates that ive used and regard as “good” “stone desert” brand excavator clay, “excavator clay” , play sand, “reptisoil” , “reptibark”, coco fiber, coco husk blocks, and even these can be in the wrong application and made to be “bad” tanks that are 100% sand=bad spots tbh any enclosure thats 100% of something is bad, you dont want ur bearded dragon to only feel one texture the rest if its life.

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
There is no 100% safe substrate, and thats coming from the person advocating loose substrates.View attachment 27789
As u can see i have all of the “no-nos” BUT it has 100% to do with how ur beardie is fed and its temperment, some bearded dragons eat their substrate, some dont, its best to bowl feed and to have them on a higer calcium/vitamin diet, and to start them young on it, coco fiber is probably is a good substrate, but ive never heard it’s easier to digest, btw in my humble opinion it’s easier to clean, just get a paper towel and scoop upp all thats dirty, my beardie only poops in her sand and in the reptibark, shes only pood on the cork bark once, and i talked to her and she promised not to do that anymore.
Haha she’s well behaved not like mine, and I love your tank! Thanks for the feedback maybe it is a good option, I have been looking to update my Beardie to a 120 gallon and this might help make it more clean and attractive!

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Loose substrates that ive used and regard as “good” “stone desert” brand excavator clay, “excavator clay” , play sand, “reptisoil” , “reptibark”, coco fiber, coco husk blocks, and even these can be in the wrong application and made to be “bad” tanks that are 100% sand=bad spots tbh any enclosure thats 100% of something is bad, you dont want ur bearded dragon to only feel one texture the rest if its life.
I was thinking I can do a combination of coco husk for the wake and cool end of his tank and tile surrounding his basking spot

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Every “substrate” has it downsides,even tile is really bad on their joints (why i went semi-bio) , if u notice ur beardies soles getting pink, the tile will need to go…

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Anything to get them a more natural setting im all for :) , just wash any substrate u use really good. Dust and ingestion are the 2 main issues.

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Every “substrate” has it downsides,even tile is really bad on their joints (why i went semi-bio) , if u notice ur beardies soles getting pink, the tile will need to go…
Oh wow really? I wish you told me that before I took a Trip to Lowe’s

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow really? I wish you told me that before I took a Trip to Lowe’s
Sorry lol, lowes will let u return it,…How high is your decor? U gotta think about how ur girl moves every day, my girl likes to jump like maniac off of things, she even got a split in her front sole, I thought tile was a perfect idea at first, definitely NOT easier to clean if ur beardy liked to paint poo.

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry lol, lowes will let u return it,…How high is your decor? U gotta think about how ur girl moves every day, my girl likes to jump like maniac off of things, she even got a split in her front sole, I thought tile was a perfect idea at first, definitely NOT easier to clean if ur beardy liked to paint poo.
My Beardie doesn’t poop in his tank ONLY on my white comforter would it be safer to have told if his tank didn’t have high sruff he can jump off of?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My Beardie doesn’t poop in his tank ONLY on my white comforter would it be safer to have told if his tank didn’t have high sruff he can jump off of?
Of course he does lol, if u can make ur decor less than 7inches high, i think thatd help, (thats how high my decor was)

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Of course he does lol, if u can make ur decor less than 7inches high, i think thatd help, (thats how high my decor was)
Hi sorry since we are kinda on the topic off popping. I am serious he only poops on my white blanket and rarely on the floor or in his tank, this might be strange but can you potty trained them?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi sorry since we are kinda on the topic off popping. I am serious he only poops on my white blanket and rarely on the floor or in his tank, this might be strange but can you potty trained them?
Yes you can, but its up to them weather they stay trained lol, i tried the whole thing, first a literal pad, then bath training, my beardy likes to work out before her poo…..

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If they’re an adult u probably missed ur window :/

spambortner

Hatchling Dragon
As long as your temps are fine, normal children's play sand is great. Even wet play sand is made not to clump together. Peaches pooped for the first time in her bioactive today, it was in the sand and so easy to clean up.