• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for advice on enclosure, behavior

GrumpyNigie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a bearded dragon named Nigel. I believe he’s about 4 years old. I inherited him from a neighbor in January. I have a 40 gallon terrarium, and a 10.0 reptisun uvb bulb that’s 24”. I also have a basking light that provides uva. Also a heat emitter (which is useless I think). I would like some feedback and advice about my setup. I think it’s decent, but who knows.

In the pictures provided you can see how his mouth is cracked open a tiny bit. He does this constantly while in there, for a couple months now. Not while I have him running around the house though. Hopefully it’s nothing serious??

his bowel movements aren’t consistent. Sometimes he will poo a few times a week and sometimes once a week. He gets 10 superworms smothered in calcium powder every other day, and collard greens always available I spray with calcium spray. Sometimes with carrot cuz he loves them haha.

anyway. Any advice, or suggestions would be super helpful. Nigel has a very unpredictable personality, so sometimes I get worried

Attachments

• 928EF89A-AF05-4ECE-A06E-A9023D1D4E8D.jpeg
    928EF89A-AF05-4ECE-A06E-A9023D1D4E8D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 4252E872-4E51-4AF1-A4A3-7516A4EF4DD8.jpeg
    4252E872-4E51-4AF1-A4A3-7516A4EF4DD8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 52

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
Looks good! My only suggestion would be to find out when the uvb bulb was changed out last. Generally they get replaced every 6 to 8 months and if you inherited an older bulb from your neighbor it may need changing :)

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I know this is a very controversial topic but I think that you should try adding some more variety to his insects, other than that his tank looks decent.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i agree with all above posts, but about his mouth, that’s just how they regulate their temperature, similar to dogs panting! nothing to worry about. he probably doesn’t do it skeins your house because it’s not as warm

GrumpyNigie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know this is a very controversial topic but I think that you should try adding some more variety to his insects, other than that his tank looks decent.

he loves superworms. He will eat a few crickets, but superworms are his favorite. Once a month I get a couple hornworms for him. He also likes freeze dried crickets sometimes as a treat in his salad lol