• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for 2nd opinion on sex of dragon

LittleBug

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, all. Brand new here. Hoping for some help in sexing my 5 year old beardie. Thanks in advance for your time and opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_192333900.jpg
    IMG_20210131_192333900.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210131_192039505.jpg
    IMG_20210131_192039505.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210131_192050765.jpg
    IMG_20210131_192050765.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 35

LittleBug

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are a couple more pictures with their tail farther back.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_194542809.jpg
    IMG_20210131_194542809.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210131_194452216.jpg
    IMG_20210131_194452216.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It’s quite hard to tell from these images, are you able to get an image when the beardie is flat on a solid surface. Same kinda angle and holding the tail as you are. Or sometimes you can sex them by holding a torch on top of the tail / area we’re looking at so it shines through and you can see ‘inside’ so to speak.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I don't see any obvious femoral pores, i'm gonna say female but I could be completely wrong.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My girl has the biggest femoral pores(atleast i think shes a girl) kinda hard to tell from ur pics , try what jj said hold a flashlight behind her so it casts light through her tail,

LittleBug

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s quite hard to tell from these images, are you able to get an image when the beardie is flat on a solid surface. Same kinda angle and holding the tail as you are. Or sometimes you can sex them by holding a torch on top of the tail / area we’re looking at so it shines through and you can see ‘inside’ so to speak.
Thanks for the suggestion to use a flat surface. The flashlight method doesn't work... tail is way too thick. Is this image better?

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_113818268.jpg
    IMG_20210201_113818268.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 43

LittleBug

Bearded Dragon Egg
Geez, still not sure. Like the look you're getting in the pic though. hahahahaha Agree with JJGamez, I'd ask someone with experience near you if you can.
Haha yeah s/he (I've gone with "she" since getting her) has some opinions about me messing with her rear end. I'll try to find someone local who can get a look in person when the pandemic has cooled off. Thanks again!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Haha yeah s/he (I've gone with "she" since getting her) has some opinions about me messing with her rear end. I'll try to find someone local who can get a look in person when the pandemic has cooled off. Thanks again!
What’s the temperament of your beardy? If u were to rate shim from 1:completely chill - 10:completely crazy. Have you ever seen a head bob? Have you seen any “instant” black beards? Post more pics of ur lizard if you can.

LittleBug

Bearded Dragon Egg
What’s the temperament of your beardy? If u were to rate shim from 1:completely chill - 10:completely crazy. Have you ever seen a head bob? Have you seen any “instant” black beards? Post more pics of ur lizard if you can.
Oh she's a sweetheart. Absolutely a 1–3 rating at her worst. When she gets "wild" it's actually an indicator that it's time for a bowel movement. A little bit of a picky eater. Just likes a lot of variety.

She's super tolerant with kids and other animals. She's great fun in a public place and I have a hammock in the car that occasionally draws attention at stop signs in the summer. Pre-2020 I'd bring her into stores and let her see everything on the shelves. In the warm months I have a portable small dog enclosure to take her to parks. Even my cats want to chill out with her and she's very curious/calm about it when they approach while she's out/I'm holding her, but I keep them separated enough not to touch, for hygiene's sake.

She does not like airplanes. lol. I've only seen her bob her head once or twice when faced with a new situation. Black beards are pretty common during bath time or if anyone approaches from directly above. That's why her main tank (125gal) opens on the side.

Attachments

• 20210201_233841-COLLAGE.jpg
    20210201_233841-COLLAGE.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 33

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’d definitely put my money on a female instead of male. The glands would definitely stand out more if it was a male. Check the femoral pores if it’s a female they should be on the smaller side and a bit harder to see.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
From how uve described the beardie id say female, males are usually always crazy , there are exceptions of course. My girl doesn’t like planes either funny you mention that.

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Shine a light through the base of the tail from the top and you will see if it has split peens or just one bump. If it has two red vein looking things going up either side of the tail from the genitalia area then those are it's penises if it doesn't have them visible inside the tail using light then it's female. I see one bump myself looks like a female to me.