• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live feed (mealworms and super worms)

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone have their own meal work or super worm farm? I'm thinking about doing it to save money. But I am still figuring out what to do, and what would be the easiest. Before I decided to get started. Can anyone post pictures and help me out a bit?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

City

Bearded Dragon Egg
(i dont exactly have a "farm" but have done so in the past)

Keeping mealworms/super worms are extremely easy, but the bare requirements are enough space, something to dig in (oats are commonly used), and a food/water source. (make sure it is something your bearded dragon or other lizard can eat!) if you want to make the worms more nutritional for your lizard a gutload diet is recommended, i have seen them at petstores.

A large-ish tote or tuperware should be enough space, it depends on how many worms you are planning on keeping. these types of things are pretty cheap at places like walmart and im sure you could even find some at the dollar store. all you need to do to alter them is make a mesh top or poke holes in the thing you are keeping them in so they can breathe (small enough so they wont escape). (dry) oats is a great substrate and is often used at petstores, and i usually use potato slices to give them a source of water/food. breeding isnt complicated either, but the worms and beetles are known to attack eachother if kept together, so you should seperate the pupas and especially the beetles from the regular worms, and into a different container like the one mentioned before. egg carton seems to be good to have in breeding places for insects too. do the same things for the beetles as you would the worms.

Worms should always have access to a water source (not water, but something like potato slices) because if they dont they will attack and eat each other for the moisture. i am not a expert but this is worked well for me when i did it in the past. (i also did this with crickets, with some changes of course) hope this helped.

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that helped tremendously thank you.

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
I almost forgot. You think the potato would be ok even for a leporad gecko. Even though the women is eating it

City

Bearded Dragon Egg
potato should be fine. i cant find a lot on what to feed them (the worms). but it should be safe. its just what i generally use, you can give them other things for the worms to eat but since leopard geckos do not eat vegetables or fruits i am not totally sure. im pretty sure i did use potato slices back when i had my leopard gecko a while ago and it was fine. its seems to be decently widely used for different reptiles, and i couldnt find a place outwardly saying no. so i would say its fine.

(i would recommend doing a few searches online but stuff is kinda hard to find.)

JennahS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I been looking but no luck really. I see lists of stuff the leopard gecko can eat. But not much on if the worm eats it if it is ok.