• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Piggie.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I'm actually getting fed up with these crickets. they poop up a storm, die for no reason and escape, escape escape! somebody suggested a good place online to buy dubia roaches. don't think I have the room or resources to keep a colony (and would have no use for the adults yet). does anyone know what that site was?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you are in the states, but not Florida, I think the site is called dubiaroaches.com. If you live in Florida you will have to buy discoids as dubia are banned

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Start with small sized dubia (1-2cm). The amount they eat varies from dragon to dragon and time of the year, but when they are little they can eat a lot of them. I would start with 300 and see how long they last you. Dubias are long lived for insects, so they will keep , as long as you keep feeding them

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The say one dubia equals like 8 crickets. So figure out how many crickets a day you feed, then convert them into dubia and then times that by 7 and then you will get an idea of how many you are going to need per week. Starting out with 300 is a good idea, just remember as soon as you see you are getting low, you need to order more.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
yeah I ordered 200 (there was no option for 300) but my only issue is I can't find any guides on housing juvie dubias, only for keeping colonies. I have an idea of what do do (horizontally stacking egg crates, what to feed, ventilation and keep at lower temps if you want growth delayed, and humid).

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a plastic storage crate 7 inch in height with a lid which I have put many holes into. The plastic is smooth so they cant climb up it, even if I left the lid off they are going nowhere. When they are delivered they are usually packed with a piece of non bleached egg carton, so just use that. I have an old dragon food dish ,one of those that looks like a rock, with sides that are climbable (they are terrible climbers) and I feed them my dragons excess veggies in that. Makes it easy to clean. Dont worry about growth rates, in all honesty I doubt they will be there long enough for you to notice, those 200 could be gone in a week.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
yeah I ordered 200 (there was no option for 300) but my only issue is I can't find any guides on housing juvie dubias, only for keeping colonies. I have an idea of what do do (horizontally stacking egg crates, what to feed, ventilation and keep at lower temps if you want growth delayed, and humid).

I keep mine in a 10 gallon tank with lots of egg crates for them to hide. I give them water crystals for hydration, dry dubia food and fresh veggies (the same veggies I give the dragons).

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I figured it out and he eats exactly ten dubias each sitting, so I'd need about 200 a week. I'm keeping them in my critter keeper with a couple egg crates and am feeding them veggies, fruit and Flecker's cricket cubes. they seem to be happy and all alive. some of them are even molting.