• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights burning out after a month

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Anyone have these lights burn out to quickly? I've been haveing to replace it every 5-6 weeks. It's on for 14 hrs a day.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 36

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I never have any problems with my basking bulbs. You need to make sure that the wattage of the bulb doesn't exceed the wattage the fixture can hold. Also, some fixtures tell you what type of bulb it supports. I do have problems with colored bulbs though, especially the blue and purple ones. I use them for my frogs and those burn out fast.

zardoz1138

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I bought a two pack of the same bulbs. My fixture is a 100 watt and the bulbs were 100 watt. First one blew out after a month or so. After second one goes I'm going back to Exo-Terra bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathryn Kinney

Juvenile Dragon
I had a problem a couple years ago going through zoo med every couple months. I changed the store I gt them at and did not have a problem. I also use flood lights now as well and they last and are cheaper.

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
I use that brand bulb and I was having the same issue! I figured out that it was because I was constantly taking the lid off of his terrarium, shaking the light fixture around...
I got a new lid for his terrarium, one that folds open, and the light lasts so much longer now! The light never gets moved around anymore!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting...I've not had any issues with those bulbs..

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you have a surge protector? I was having the same issue, except mine was every two weeks. Got a surge protector and didn't have any problem until yesterday. The night before I posted this exact thing on another thread, the next morning I woke up to a burnt out basking bulb. It did last me about two months though. It got wet and I think it caused the bulb to blow though. I went back to Nat Geo because I love how bright the light is. Haven't had a problem yet. That surge protector saved me from a lot of money though.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ya it's likely a result of your house electricity. You can also buy a simple dimmer switch and just turn the bulb down with the dimmer ever so slightly, which will limit surges happening.

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Anyone have these lights burn out to quickly? I've been haveing to replace it every 5-6 weeks. It's on for 14 hrs a day.
Yep!!!! Thankfully I was home and heard a really loud buzzing noise. Figured out it was the basking bulb then turned it off and tried to turn it back on then nothing!! I've only had it since January!! I had to run out and get another one right away but was stuck getting the same brand cause that's all they had. Grrrr.....

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep!!!! Thankfully I was home and heard a really loud buzzing noise. Figured out it was the basking bulb then turned it off and tried to turn it back on then nothing!! I've only had it since January!! I had to run out and get another one right away but was stuck getting the same brand cause that's all they had. Grrrr.....
Look on line for flukers basking www.petmountain.com exo Terra intense or Arcadia haligen are good basking bulbs

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
YES!! YES!!! I've called Zoo-Med about the bulb saying your box says 2000 hours but you're lucky to get 1 week. They e-mailed me later saying the bulbs are warranted for 3 months.
Solution: If you kept your receipt, call customer service they will e-mail a form to filled out. Return the form and copy of receipt and they will send you a new bulb plus instructions on how to screw it in. LOL
No, just suggestions how not to damage the bulb.
Or, if you bought at pet smart or pet co just bring it back to them if it hasn't been over one month... per manager at local pet smart. Let them handle it!