• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all! So right now I have a 55 gal and am about to order a new uvb. I currently have coil but have learned a t8 or t5 will be way better for them. I know t5s are better and I’d love to get that one, but I have a metal lid. I heard from somebody that with metal lids you’ll have to go with t8 and it will have to be 2ft high but I’m not sure if it is. I have more than one beardie and have been saving up to rebuy them lots of stuff because I am just now learning that almost all I have been doing is wrong due to misinformation. I am going to upgrade them to a 4x2x2 in the new future but right now it’s not possible and I spent a lot on multiple lids and would hate to have to buy new so I’m really not sure what to do. Any help will be appreciate, thank you

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What kind of screen is it? Wider holes or really fine mesh? The reason people say not to put them on screens is because they block out up to 30% uvb, which isnt a terrible thing, they’re still getting uvb just not the recommended amount( in the wild a beardie will bask 2-4 hrs then go to dappled sunlight to hunt/mate/etc.)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Please get rid of the coil uvb :( they hurt beardies eyes and offer little to no uvb, especially no uva, Its quite easy to hang a light from a metal lid actually , ziptie the very edges of the fixture to create a loop around the fixture then you can wind metal through the screen and tie it above(make shure the metal wire you buy has good strength) sorry if the pics not great (t5 btw, from pangea.com)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all! So right now I have a 55 gal and am about to order a new uvb. I currently have coil but have learned a t8 or t5 will be way better for them. I know t5s are better and I’d love to get that one, but I have a metal lid. I heard from somebody that with metal lids you’ll have to go with t8 and it will have to be 2ft high but I’m not sure if it is. I have more than one beardie and have been saving up to rebuy them lots of stuff because I am just now learning that almost all I have been doing is wrong due to misinformation. I am going to upgrade them to a 4x2x2 in the new future but right now it’s not possible and I spent a lot on multiple lids and would hate to have to buy new so I’m really not sure what to do. Any help will be appreciate, thank you
I would get a 24" Zoo Med or Arcadia fixture for your new tank --- it will need to go inside the tank -- the 24" will work on the tank your using now --- show me a pic of the screen you currently have and we can go from there- the bulb you will need is a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% Desert bulb or D3 -- they are the best on the market now -- but get the bulbs and fixtures NOW and get rid of the coil --- I will help you get it placed in the tank or top depending on the screen your using now --- I have things to help you get it placed if it needs to go inside the tank now --- but you will haft to have it in the 4x2x2 for sure