• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting Questions

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so I've got some help in my intro thread but I'm still struggling to work out how to remove my old UVB >.< My cousin is coming over tommorrow but doesn't know herself exactly how to do it, I'm just hoping two heads will be better than one haha. It's attached to two fitments at the back and can be pulled away from these, and I feel like it should just twist out but I'm weary of forcing it so I may leave that till tommorrow.

My other question is regarding the heat lamp and measuring temperature. I have an in-built thermometer which the guy at the store apparently fitted, it's tied to the back a couple of CM behind and underneath the heat lamp, with UVB stretching across above-is this a suitable place to pick up the temperature for basking? I'm assuming I could use this to measure the cool area by just moving the wire across? It doesn't give a digital readout, it's one of the thermostat things. (I actually just went to check it and found out it had gone off, the light's back on now but that'll need replacing too >.<)

It's reading below ninety atm so I'm going to try and increase it in a moment one I find a screwdriver for the dial. Am I right in thinking it should be around 100% for an adult?

Also with regards the heat lamp there is a fitment attached to the celing of the vivarium, I have a bulb but I want to make sure it's suitable, the readout on the socket is

Komodo Ceramic Socket B2303 Max 200W 220-240 v 50-60 Hz

And the bulb I have is

100W 280Kelvin 230-240v and it's UVA, infra red. Feel like this may be the wrong kind, but would it be more suitable than the current one if that's broken? I seem to recall hearing infra red are bad?

Also should thermostat light be switching off? I noticed it had gone off again when I went to increase the temp but when I moved the dial it clicked on so I'm wondering if the light should only be on when it's heating up?

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm autistic and finding it a bit overwhelming but I feel like I need it sorted asap because the temp in there has definitely dropped a few degrees since yesterday, I'm just hoping I've set it right now but I'd like to at least get the heat lamp in if it's suitable, he still has the UVB too but it's likely to need changing, but as I mentioned I'll leave that till tommorrow most likely.

Sorry for the disorganised barrel of info but any help will be most welcome :)

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, so I've got some help in my intro thread but I'm still struggling to work out how to remove my old UVB >.< My cousin is coming over tommorrow but doesn't know herself exactly how to do it, I'm just hoping two heads will be better than one haha. It's attached to two fitments at the back and can be pulled away from these, and I feel like it should just twist out but I'm weary of forcing it so I may leave that till tommorrow.

My other question is regarding the heat lamp and measuring temperature. I have an in-built thermometer which the guy at the store apparently fitted, it's tied to the back a couple of CM behind and underneath the heat lamp, with UVB stretching across above-is this a suitable place to pick up the temperature for basking? I'm assuming I could use this to measure the cool area by just moving the wire across? It doesn't give a digital readout, it's one of the thermostat things. (I actually just went to check it and found out it had gone off, the light's back on now but that'll need replacing too >.<)

It's reading below ninety atm so I'm going to try and increase it in a moment one I find a screwdriver for the dial. Am I right in thinking it should be around 100% for an adult?

Also with regards the heat lamp there is a fitment attached to the celing of the vivarium, I have a bulb but I want to make sure it's suitable, the readout on the socket is

And the bulb I have is

100W 280Kelvin 230-240v and it's UVA, infra red. Feel like this may be the wrong kind, but would it be more suitable than the current one if that's broken? I seem to recall hearing infra red are bad?

Also should thermostat light be switching off? I noticed it had gone off again when I went to increase the temp but when I moved the dial it clicked on so I'm wondering if the light should only be on when it's heating up?

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm autistic and finding it a bit overwhelming but I feel like I need it sorted asap because the temp in there has definitely dropped a few degrees since yesterday, I'm just hoping I've set it right now but I'd like to at least get the heat lamp in if it's suitable, he still has the UVB too but it's likely to need changing, but as I mentioned I'll leave that till tommorrow most likely.

If you could get me a pic of the lights i could help better, I'll get pic of my light and how to take it out :) and calm down dragons are pretty hearty you got little bit to figure it out.
All the light talk and heat talk gets confusing, not to fear, a ceramic heater is helpful at getting temps up, and make sure you have a good basking bulb, i get mine at pet store, i dont buy the cheap, but mid grade, you can feel free to add a sunny window for few hours a day if your worried while you get it sorted, if he eats and poops your in no trouble just yet :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

And the bulb I have is

I am no good w/ what your doing but I have enlisted some help who is alot better at it --- and yes NO colored bulbs please that I do know

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you could get me a pic of the lights i could help better, I'll get pic of my light and how to take it out :) and calm down dragons are pretty hearty you got little bit to figure it out.
All the light talk and heat talk gets confusing, not to fear, a ceramic heater is helpful at getting temps up, and make sure you have a good basking bulb, i get mine at pet store, i dont buy the cheap, but mid grade, you can feel free to add a sunny window for few hours a day if your worried while you get it sorted, if he eats and poops your in no trouble just yet :)

Thanks mate :) Would you say the bulb I have will be suitable for the socket based on the specs?

The socket is Komodo Ceramic Max 200W, 220-240v 50-60 Hz

The bulb is a UVA Infrared 100W 28000 Kelvin 230-240 v

Would this be suitable to change to? I don't know what the last one was, but the bulb itself hangs about two or three CM above the basking spot. I'll try to get a pic but my phone usually shuts off when I take it off charge :p

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks mate :) Would you say the bulb I have will be suitable for the socket based on the specs?

The socket is Komodo Ceramic Max 200W, 220-240v 50-60 Hz

The bulb is a UVA Infrared 100W 28000 Kelvin 230-240 v

Would this be suitable to change to? I don't know what the last one was, but the bulb itself hangs about two or three CM above the basking spot. I'll try to get a pic but my phone usually shuts off when I take it off charge :p
Yes i checked with hubby bulb will be ok in socket.
There are 2 ends you put bulb in 1 end first
Then turn it till you bring ends to opening gently lift out

Attachments

• 20211021_152418_HDR.jpg
    20211021_152418_HDR.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211021_152345_HDR.jpg
    20211021_152345_HDR.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 5

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg

I'm a bit concerned at how the light keeps going off on the thermostat but I'm wondering if it is meant to do that?

I'll change the bulb shortly, if nothing else it should give him more heat as the one that's in doesn't feel very hot. Thanks for the UVB pics, those fittings look similar to mine so those pics will be of great help, but I'll be waiting till tommorrow to sort it in case I screw it up, at least I can run for a spare bulb then if need be while shops are open :p

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon

I'm a bit concerned at how the light keeps going off on the thermostat but I'm wondering if it is meant to do that?

I'll change the bulb shortly, if nothing else it should give him more heat as the one that's in doesn't feel very hot. Thanks for the UVB pics, those fittings look similar to mine so those pics will be of great help, but I'll be waiting till tommorrow to sort it in case I screw it up, at least I can run for a spare bulb then if need be while shops are open :p
Lol u sound like me in beginning, i was convinced i was going to kill him for first few months,
You care, and are doing reserch i have full faith in your ability to care for dragon, just watch him to get to know him, they love to tell you what to do! Get your lighting info from Sadie and enjoy your pet for goodness sake ❤️

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
A day or two at most- if that is a basking bulb you want a bright white no off color white or yellowish bulb--

In terms of the light it gives off I'm not sure yet but it says it's an infra red on the box, the bulb itself it actually transparent though whereas the last on is yellow in colour so that probably wasn't suitable either >.<

I just tried to change it but it's still really hot so I might have to wait till morning, I'll try to get some pics up by then too

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

And the bulb I have is

here is the answer I got back from someone who is more experienced than I --

It sounds like there are a few things off. If you can get some photos of the equipment and setup it would be helpful.

I'm not sure if the UVB light that is described is the UK style with a cap on each end or if it's sitting in a fixture that is mounted to the wall/ceiling. Photos would help with this. A tube in a fixture can usually be turned and then pulled out (firm but gentile). I think the type with the two caps can just have the caps pulled away, but I'm not certain. I've only seen photos of those.

The basking light should be providing infrared (heat) and UVA as well as visible light. Infrared and visible red are different and (as you know) the visible red lights are harmful. A good bright light that produces heat will include infrared heat which is good.

A basking light should not be connected to an on/off or pulse thermostat which it sounds like it is. Those are OK for controlling a secondary light such as a ceramic heat emitter or heat projector, but will cause a visible light basking bulb to flicker which is no good. A dimming thermostat will work, but only if the temps are tuned pretty close from the start so that the dimming is minimal.

I'd probably recommend using a couple of cheap digital thermometers with probes and put one on the basking surface and one on the cool side to get an idea for the gradient. Then adjust the temps/lighting from there.

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get pics up tommorrow when there's more light, it sounds like my new basking light might be right though, I'll double check the specs.

I've had to untangle the wires a bit as it was not set up well tbh (I just didn't want to mess with anything and make it worse :p) so I'll try and get pics of them too and see if my set up is correct. I forgot to mention it has a timer thing on too, I don't know if that affects anything but it was all set up by my cousin so I haven't messed with that.

What probe thermometer would be best? Does any old cheap one do the job?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get pics up tommorrow when there's more light, it sounds like my new basking light might be right though, I'll double check the specs.

I've had to untangle the wires a bit as it was not set up well tbh (I just didn't want to mess with anything and make it worse :p) so I'll try and get pics of them too and see if my set up is correct. I forgot to mention it has a timer thing on too, I don't know if that affects anything but it was all set up by my cousin so I haven't messed with that.

What probe thermometer would be best? Does any old cheap one do the job?
this is what most use in the US or from what I have seen anyway

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
I have this one it reads ok, i dont rely on it completely tho, it sounds like your cousin was taking good care of the dragon, and knew a little about them anyways, mind if ask his eating habits salads? How many bugs? And calcium vitamins? If he came to you healthy then, new lights and decor will only improve his life.

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have just got back from the pet shop, they didn't have the probe thermometer I wanted but they had a stick on one, similar to my thermostat, but I'll be able to measure the temperature with dual thermometers until I can get a laser one as they recommended.

His heat is at about 90 degrees currently, I'll keep checking but it seems like it's set to only go that high (my cousin attached a timer to it before she went on holiday, my second cousin who was here today didn't know how to change it though as it was bought and set up by the one who is on holiday till Wednesday >.<

Unfortunately I've got back too late to take pics as the lighting is crap in there but when I have daylight I'll post some, I have managed to attach the UVB with help though and the new heat bulb is in, again I'll post pics when possible but it seems hotter, I haven't seen his mouth gaping yet though, and it clicks off when it reaches a certain heat, which would be fine if that heat was the 100 degrees I understand it should be, I'm just worried that if I take it apart I'll mess it up more :p

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have just got back from the pet shop, they didn't have the probe thermometer I wanted but they had a stick on one, similar to my thermostat, but I'll be able to measure the temperature with dual thermometers until I can get a laser one as they recommended.

His heat is at about 90 degrees currently, I'll keep checking but it seems like it's set to only go that high (my cousin attached a timer to it before she went on holiday, my second cousin who was here today didn't know how to change it though as it was bought and set up by the one who is on holiday till Wednesday >.<

Unfortunately I've got back too late to take pics as the lighting is crap in there but when I have daylight I'll post some, I have managed to attach the UVB with help though and the new heat bulb is in, again I'll post pics when possible but it seems hotter, I haven't seen his mouth gaping yet though, and it clicks off when it reaches a certain heat, which would be fine if that heat was the 100 degrees I understand it should be, I'm just worried that if I take it apart I'll mess it up more :p
You need a digital probe thermometer- those stick on ones are inaccurate- the probe needs to sit on the place where he basks

PuffPastryHangman

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need a digital probe thermometer- those stick on ones are inaccurate- the probe needs to sit on the place where he basks

According the the guy in the shop the laser ones are better than a probe so I'm hoping I can find one of them (the ones I've seen online seem like the same thing he has in his tank already, I can only find food ones but I can't imagine they'd be appropriate) I just wanted a second thermometer in the mean time to see if it read the same as the first, now I know they both work I can use them dual until I'm able to get a better one :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
According the the guy in the shop the laser ones are better than a probe so I'm hoping I can find one of them (the ones I've seen online seem like the same thing he has in his tank already, I can only find food ones but I can't imagine they'd be appropriate) I just wanted a second thermometer in the mean time to see if it read the same as the first, now I know they both work I can use them dual until I'm able to get a better one :)
IR guns if that is what your talking about will not read off of certain materials -- like hammocks is a good example --- please get one w/ a probe look on Amazon -- and I recommend you dont listen to everything the guy in the pet shop is telling you -- most give bad advice -- IR guns are good to have but digital probe thermometers are the best to have