• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting Question

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have had my tanks for about a year I turn the basking and UVB on at 8AM and off at 8PM. I do most of my handling and spend time with them in the evenings. i know they should not have colored lights but is it ok to red LED strip in the tank for a few hours like from 8 to 11.

Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have had my tanks for about a year I turn the basking and UVB on at 8AM and off at 8PM. I do most of my handling and spend time with them in the evenings. i know they should not have colored lights but is it ok to red LED strip in the tank for a few hours like from 8 to 11.

Thanks
Please no colored bulbs at all --- the colored bulb distorts their vision -- they need lighting to mimic the sun --- it is not good for them --

Billy K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for that....i have red leds that are on my Reptisun
apparently they are used to stimulate plant growth. I will keep
them turned off from now on.

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Please no colored bulbs at all --- the colored bulb distorts their vision -- they need lighting to mimic the sun --- it is not good for them --
is it OK to keep the UVB on for longer than 12 hours or can i just set it for like 10AM to 10PM

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is it OK to keep the UVB on for longer than 12 hours or can i just set it for like 10AM to 10PM
Usually winter if they are sleeping alot you can shut them off earlier --- it is up to you --- I wouldnt keep the lights on longer than the 12 hrs tho --- summer is fine since we have longer days - but winter time dragons seem to slow down - not as active --

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
I’m about to be a new beardie owner… he’ll be here on Thursday and I’m so excited and scared and confused! I have researched, planned and built and still am confused!… here is a rundown of my enclosure and then my questions: 78x24x24 inch wooden enclosure with 3 glass doors on front and a metal grill top( it’s not mesh..it’s called metal lath which has large diamond shaped holes)…I’ve built the basking area up to approximately 12inces from top with landscaping stones. It looks very nice… but I know that’s not the most important thing..i also gave digital thermometers/ hygrometers on each end and purchased a temp gun. I live in Louisiana so needless to say I had to purchase a dehumidifier… I have devoted my sunroom to my beardie only.. so I’m able to better regulate temps and humidity. I have a Reptisun T HO 10.0 UVB in fixture along with 2 100 watt halogen heat flood lights which overlaps the uvb…and heat emitter in case of temp drops. So, all that said, I’ll ask my questions: 1) I’m having trouble with my humidity level being low on the hot side while great on the cool side.. it’s getting down to 26-28%.. I mist and it quickly rises and quickly goes back down… how can I remedy that? 2) my basking rocks get temps that are great and perfect (105-109*F) but the whole hot end temp is not getting above 102*F.. is this acceptable for a 5 1/2 month little guy? I’m keeping cool end around 88*F. 3) last question… is it ok to put my uvb on top?
I’ll attach a pic… thanks for any and all advice…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m about to be a new beardie owner… he’ll be here on Thursday and I’m so excited and scared and confused! I have researched, planned and built and still am confused!… here is a rundown of my enclosure and then my questions: 78x24x24 inch wooden enclosure with 3 glass doors on front and a metal grill top( it’s not mesh..it’s called metal lath which has large diamond shaped holes)…I’ve built the basking area up to approximately 12inces from top with landscaping stones. It looks very nice… but I know that’s not the most important thing..i also gave digital thermometers/ hygrometers on each end and purchased a temp gun. I live in Louisiana so needless to say I had to purchase a dehumidifier… I have devoted my sunroom to my beardie only.. so I’m able to better regulate temps and humidity. I have a Reptisun T HO 10.0 UVB in fixture along with 2 100 watt halogen heat flood lights which overlaps the uvb…and heat emitter in case of temp drops. So, all that said, I’ll ask my questions: 1) I’m having trouble with my humidity level being low on the hot side while great on the cool side.. it’s getting down to 26-28%.. I mist and it quickly rises and quickly goes back down… how can I remedy that? 2) my basking rocks get temps that are great and perfect (105-109*F) but the whole hot end temp is not getting above 102*F.. is this acceptable for a 5 1/2 month little guy? I’m keeping cool end around 88*F. 3) last question… is it ok to put my uvb on top?
I’ll attach a pic… thanks for any and all advice…
Ok the tank looks beautiful ---nice job---- the UVB is a T 5? there is no number after the T---- if its a T 5 w/ the wide hole it can stay on top of your screen but you must have the basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- your humidity is fine --- I would take the digital probe hygrometer and place it in the center of your tank it will read the whole tank -- its fine w/ the humidity where it is -- you dont want the humidity below 20% or over 70% -- 30-40 is optimal --- you want basking temps 105-110 he is getting to be a juvie so that temp could change 95-100 it is trial and error --- 12inces from top with landscaping stones. It looks very nice… but I know that’s not the most important thing this is one of the most important things along w/ correct basking temps in that tank ---
this controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- you dont want to use that heat emitter unless your tank is dropping below 65 at nite -- stick ons are ok for that -- they give ambient temps -- cool side of the tank should be 80 or 80ish -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok the tank looks beautiful ---nice job---- the UVB is a T 5? there is no number after the T---- if its a T 5 w/ the wide hole it can stay on top of your screen but you must have the basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- your humidity is fine --- I would take the digital probe hygrometer and place it in the center of your tank it will read the whole tank -- its fine w/ the humidity where it is -- you dont want the humidity below 20% or over 70% -- 30-40 is optimal --- you want basking temps 105-110 he is getting to be a juvie so that temp could change 95-100 it is trial and error --- 12inces from top with landscaping stones. It looks very nice… but I know that’s not the most important thing this is one of the most important things along w/ correct basking temps in that tank ---
this controls the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- you dont want to use that heat emitter unless your tank is dropping below 65 at nite -- stick ons are ok for that -- they give ambient temps -- cool side of the tank should be 80 or 80ish -
Thank you so much. The uvb is T5 HO …I got the wrong one cause the one in there is a 5.0 but I’ve just ordered the 10.0 which will be in Wednesday and he’ll arrive on Thursday… I’m so glad I saw your post in another comment which prompted me to look and realize I ordered the right hood and wrong bulb so I thank you for that! Stones are appropriately 12 inches from all the lights but I’m having a hard time getting the uvb directly over the stones … just a bit to the side.. not much tho and the basking lights over them too and get temps right. I have a digital temp/hygrometer on each end and the reptizoo one has a probe. Is that ok? And, when you say basking temps does that mean the stones as I measure them with a temp gun or is that the temp of the whole end? That’s where I’m really confused.. ok.. so I will not turn on the heat emitter unless the temps drop which they will soon. But in the room I’ve got for him I can use a room heater to keep his room warm. I’ve chosen my sunroom which will give him plenty of brightness and can regulate temps from the rest of my house. Ok so the humidity is good? I’m so glad! It’s going up at night but with dehumidifier it’s not gone over 45%… I thank you so very much

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much. The uvb is T5 HO …I got the wrong one cause the one in there is a 5.0 but I’ve just ordered the 10.0 which will be in Wednesday and he’ll arrive on Thursday… I’m so glad I saw your post in another comment which prompted me to look and realize I ordered the right hood and wrong bulb so I thank you for that! Stones are appropriately 12 inches from all the lights but I’m having a hard time getting the uvb directly over the stones … just a bit to the side.. not much tho and the basking lights over them too and get temps right. I have a digital temp/hygrometer on each end and the reptizoo one has a probe. Is that ok? And, when you say basking temps does that mean the stones as I measure them with a temp gun or is that the temp of the whole end? That’s where I’m really confused.. ok.. so I will not turn on the heat emitter unless the temps drop which they will soon. But in the room I’ve got for him I can use a room heater to keep his room warm. I’ve chosen my sunroom which will give him plenty of brightness and can regulate temps from the rest of my house. Ok so the humidity is good? I’m so glad! It’s going up at night but with dehumidifier it’s not gone over 45%… I thank you so very much
Basking temp is the spot where he sits for basking- place the probe on that spot wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp- as long as your using the probe for that your good- it will give an accurate temp-- the reflector on uvb fixture will help if it's off to the side a little should be ok