• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting Help Requested

Violoso

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all!

I have an almost 8 month old beardie. I just recently moved her into a 40 gallon breeder tank and am looking at replacing the lighting. I know she needs a new UVB bulb due to both time and size. My question is what to get. I am looking at the ReptiSun 10 - 24" and the MegaRay Mercury Vapor bulb. From what I've seen, the mercury vapor bulb comes higher recommended, but I'm not finding enough information regarding what size I would need. There are multiple wattages available and I want to make sure I get the correct one the first time. Also, would I use the same style dome for it as I do her heat lamp? There is so much information out there that it's almost overwhelming and I can't afford to screw it up. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry, I'm late here. Did you get your bulb yet? I don't know much about MVB bulbs to comment on the wattage. I do know you want a UVB that is going to cover 1/2 to 2/3 of your tank so the tube bulb fits that description.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
sorry I missed this one too somehow. One thing I dont like about MVB lamps is the really short lifespan, they max at 6 months but can be as little as 3 months before they need changing. As they are meant to be an all in one solution, it kind of defeats the purpose if you use a tube uvb as well. The tube is definitely the way to go imo, add a halogen spot to that and you are good to go and you will save a lot of money in the longrun.