• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting for 40 Gal Glass tank- help me out

Harrison G

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
I got my first bearded dragon just over a year ago and I’ve had him in a 40 Gal glass aquarium for most of that time. I’ve come to realize that I probably haven’t had the best lighting set up for him, he certainly appears to be healthy and all but I think it could be significantly better. I currently have a day time basking light (over rocks), a UVB over the middle of the tank (on top of the screen cover as well) and another night time heat lamp on the otherwise (opposite end from where his rocks are). I would love to hear how someone more experienced would set up this tank if anyone wouldn’t mind taking the time to explain, pretend I’m starting from scratch I guess.

Also just today I read an article about UVB lights and I didn’t realize how significant the difference can be from one to the other and I’m kind of worried honestly. I read that the Zilla ones have been rumored to cause eye issues with beardies which is the one I have. I plan to get a reptisun UVB light since that is what most people seem to recommend. If you think this isn’t a good choice for my tank, please let me know.

I know that was a lot, sorry!
Thank you- Harrison

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Hi - I think it may be more the difference between a coil uvb bulb and a tube one - the eye damage worries may be from past years. But the quality of the bulbs is important, and the reptisun t5HO 10.0 tube (or Arcadia bulbs, depending on which you have access to) are the most often recommended ones for beardies.
If the night heat lamp puts out light, you may want to consider a CHE or heat projector, or nothing if your house doesn't get colder than around 65F.

Harrison G

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree a Reptisun T 5 would be good but not the full length of the tank a 24" fixture would be good ---- it needs to be either on top of the screen depending on the screen mesh if its wide hole or fine mesh -- wide hole can go on top 6-8 inches or inside tank 12-15 inches from basking spot--
Thank you!! Just ordered a new Reptisun fixture and bulb... man those fixtures are expensive though

Harrison G

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they are but you want it for the health of your dragon -- did you get the T 5? It wont need to be replaced for another year after you turn it on -- make sure you put in on your calendar or on the box the date so you have it
yes I got the T5...
I knew they lasted a while, glad to hear it’s a year. Thanks