• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light question? UVB lights and glass covers

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello,

We are new beardie parents and from what we've read the UVB is very important to our Beardie (chuck). We have a 40 gallon long tank with both a basking light light at one end and a Repti Glo 10.0 UVB light running the length of the tank. My concern is whether we should be worried about the amount of UVB that gets through the glass cover? Is the 10.0 UVB enough to get him what he needs through the glass cover?

Thanks,
Maybe slightly overly concerned mommy. :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
uv does not travel through glass unless the glass is coated with uv transfer film i believe is what it is called. for the top you should use a metal screen top found in the reptile section of most pet stores for a variety of sizes. The light should sit on the screen top.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just want to verify that the cover is glass and not a screen top?

Another comment, and I know lighting is controversial, but the ReptiGlo 10.0 has been known not to be good for bearded dragons. I believe if you go to the manufacturer's site you will see a listing of acceptable reptiles for this light. It doesn't produce enough UVB for our beardies.

Either a MegaRay or ReptiSun 10.0 are good for bearded dragons. I'm partial to the ReptiSun 10.0. It is the best UVB bulb on the market. Make sure it is a tube and not coil. Here's a link of what I am talking about:

ReptiSun 10.0

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you so much we will check it out and get that changed out. We have a glass top not a screen top. When we got the tank it came with glass and they didn't have screen tops big enough for our tank. We will get that fixed as well.

Thanks again for the info.... :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, I'm not familiar with your viv, but you may want to ensure the UVB is coming through. You may want to verify if it has the transfer film that Brian references or not before you get a screen.