• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leg Shaking?

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi All,
So I have a female bearded dragon, Liz who is having these leg vibrations... They start then last for about half a minute or much less and then stop... This has happened several times from just what I have felt and seen. It's her right back leg. It's not really a twitch, more like a vibration like I said above. And sometimes the vibrating is more pronounced, and then other times you feel it more than see it... It seems to start from her thigh and down into the rest of the leg and then other times it's mostly in the thigh and not so much down to her foot. She is using the foot regularly. And does not seem to be in pain. Liz looks fine too... looks healthy.
Her Behavior:
She has been very spunky lately (this past week). Glass surfing, busy.. But then the other day she took a nap about middle of the afternoon.
5 years old,
40 gallon,
Female cage mate (they get along great!),
Heat 100 watts,
UVB less than six months old (coil bulb),
Diet:
Calcium, spirulina, and bee pollen, once a week...
Blueberries,
Mixed veggies,
Dried crickets and mealworms on occasion...

So is it MBD? Or something else?

Thank you for responses! And extra thanks to fast responses!
(Let me know if you want a video or picture of her or the vibrating.)

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, you need to go to a reptile vet and get an xray as quick as you can.. Tremors in the back legs can be a sign of impaction, which can be serious. What happens is, the impaction puts pressure on the spine causing nerve damage.
On a side note,you have 2 adult dragons in a 40 gallon tank, which is only big enough for 1, they need 40 gallons each, minimum really. Coil bulbs are no good either , we have some good articles on lighting here you should check out.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Twitching can be neurological, it also can be too much or too little calcium. You should be dusting salads or live bugs one meal a day with calcium, since your only dusting once a week it's very likely it is a calcium deficiency which leads to MBD..
Good advice in previous post on cohabing (they can turn on eachother out of the blue even if they tolerate each other atm, 40 gal is only meant for 1 since they are solitary critters. and yes coil bulbs are not sufficient for UVB out put and can damage their eyes over time.
What salad greens are you giving?? I don't see anything about that in your post. Live prey items are the best as freeze dried offer no moisture content, and as they get the moisture they need from the food items that they eat and from moisture drops or via bath time drinking..
I would get them seen by a reptile vet to check them both for calcium stores (bloodwork) and possibly xrays that would show if there is any eggs/MBD/impaction.

Keep us posted, but really recommend a vet check..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, vet, blood workup and X-ray ASAP. The X-ray will show if it's MBD, which by the sounds of things it most likely is. The blood test will show how low the calcium levels are and if other things are out of wack.

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
She seems fine and seems healthy just the same!
Thank you for your responses... Yes I do give them greens, it's hard to find just this or just that, you know what I mean? I'll search for some good plants this week.

I wasn't sure how much or how little calcium. And I have read so many different things on how much and how often that it's confusing, and they all say different things. I gave them extra calcium last night. I'm not sure if it did anything...

I can't tell if it's still happening this morning. I'll keep an eye on her.

I'll look into a tube UVB light and fixture today too, or when we go to the pet store, I'm pretty sure they have some at the pet store...

Oh, she has been pooping every day and when I gave her baths she went there too..

Could she have hurt her spine?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, calcium really does need to be given daily, along with calcium+d3 and multivitamins several times a week, especially with the kind of UV lighting you have. There is little point speculating as to what the problem is as we can only guess going by symptom, and a few things display the same symptoms. The only way to know for sure is with the vet tests, only then can you know what the proper treatment regime should be. Hopefully, you can get a handle on the problem before it becomes too detrimental.

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you very much for your kind response!
I'm giving her extra calcium. And make sure that she gets some everyday.

We may or may not go to the vet. See how she is tomorrow.

Thanks again!