• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Late Night Frustrations

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Normally I do not post on here because I, 1) do not feel like I know as much as others here, and 2) do not spend my limited time browsing everything that is posted to this site. However, I recently posted to someone who said they had a hard time keeping the heat up in their tank. I did feel slightly attacked after my one comment that you do what you need to do to keep the heat up in a tank. Somehow my one comment because all about how I was doing wrong by using what I use for my dragon. I did stop posting on that thread since it was supposed to be about someone else, and not about how I tend to my own dragon.

Now I do appreciate all of the help that people receive on this site from those that do have more experience than I do. On the other hand, I do not like feeling attacked about how I care for my dragon. You are not in my house, my life, seeing what I have done to care for my beardie. You were not there during the sleepless nights, the panic attacks, and the thoughts of my not being the best person to take care of my pet. I did my research (which is very contradictory), I even posted on here when I was having health issues, and I have been to the local vet.

This post here is for everyone who has done their best to care for their dragon. Perhaps our best is not good enough, and sometimes **** just happens. But I want to say that at least you are trying. You are doing everything you can to make your beardie's life as great as you can. You are posting on here because you love your pet and you want them cared for as much as possible. You are amazing and I want you to always try.

For anyone that wants more information: my beardie story started when I learned that I developed an allergy to my own cat and dog, who I have had for 5-7 years. And these allergies are not just the sniffles, but full on hives when I touch them. I wanted a pet that I could actually touch and interact with. I did some research into different animals and my first thought was a snake. My wife kaboshed that real quick. So then I learned about beardies. They seemed very interesting and something that I could learn to really love and enjoy caring for. So we went to the store and bought everything I thought I needed and the dragon. Now, this store was in Colorado, so of course one stop shop. Brought him home and set him up late at night in our bedroom. The wife and I definitely could not sleep with the heat in his tank, so the next day moved him out to the main level. Now, we decided on the a lot of things before getting him: main level since that is where the thermostat is, our bedroom because it was the best place in the open concept house away from the many windows and front door, what we would feed him, his tank, accessories, how the cat and dog were going to be near him but not enough to cause him stress, etc.

I did learn very quickly that research can only get you so far. The bedroom did not work since we like our room colder so we can sleep, thus he was moved to the main level. Now, in our open concept home there were really only two options to place him: by the front door or by the extra freezer and partially into the hallway. We didn't want to hallway blocked, so front door it was. Since he was by the front door, we did the best we could to keep his heat up, and managed to maintain the correct temp for a year. During that year I had so many panic attacks and thoughts that I was the worst beardie mom and that I needed to give my dragon away to someone who knew what they were doing. He always ate his greens, but wasn't into bugs which is not good to a baby. He always seemed to hate me, never wanting to be touched, but rarely puffed the beard (only when he first met the cat).

He lost the tip of his tail due to shed not coming off properly and my scared to remove it thanks to the research I did. That was his first trip to the vet because I thought he had tail rot and may need his tail amputated at 5 months old. I also learned he has a skin condition that made it hard to shed his skin, and his skin would grow into large balls on his right arm, shoulder and neck, this was his second trip to the vet when I thought he had yellow fungus at 6 months old. This is when I really debated about my decision to get a dragon and that I was the worst, stupid, killing him and that I needed to get rid of him.

Thankfully my wife really fought to reassure me that I was doing my best. That I was researching, experimenting, learning, using resources like the vet and this forum, and growing closer to him. I have never given up a pet, and could never imagine giving up a part of the family. I finally got my head out of my a** and just did what I could.

Because of my rough experience, I do read the posts that come to my email from this forum, but I know I do not know everything and have only experienced my one dragon, so I don't feel like I need to add my two cents. So when I do add a comment, I did not appreciate the discussion suddenly being about what I am doing wrong, and not about helping the person who requested help/advice. Remember we have all been new to raising beardies and not all of us have the right answers, even if it seems like the people who post the most know it all. Each dragon is different, every home is different, every experience is different. There is no right answer. It is like having kids. Sometimes you need to cut toxic ties to be able to do what you feel is right.

My one take away from this long meandering post: You are doing your best. You are trying and that is all that can be done. Keep trying, keep learning and your beardie will be okay. **** happens and it sucks, but **** happens to people too. Genetics can get throw us for a loop and nothing can be done about some things. Just being on here is trying. Take a deep breath and know that you are enough for your dragon.

Attached is a pic of my big boy, Collins, who is just over 2 years old now.

Attachments

• Collins3.jpg
    Collins3.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Collins2.jpg
    Collins2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Collins1.jpg
    Collins1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Haha thanks. I brought him upstairs to work on homework and he was very happy. Usually he hates me, so I love that pic too.
Lol nooooo I'm sure he doesn't hate you!! Tho they definitely can be lil stinkers! It's so funny all the different personalities-in that way their really like people!! My Mikey hates vegetables..you name it he hates it..even fruit!! I literally have to syringe feed him his repashy otherwise he would starve! He always gives me the stink eye when I give him his food! I guess I'm hoping one day he'll at least try them again! Lol

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol nooooo I'm sure he doesn't hate you!! Tho they definitely can be lil stinkers! It's so funny all the different personalities-in that way their really like people!! My Mikey hates vegetables..you name it he hates it..even fruit!! I literally have to syringe feed him his repashy otherwise he would starve! He always gives me the stink eye when I give him his food! I guess I'm hoping one day he'll at least try them again! Lol
My Collins actually lovest his greens so it's hard for me to read when others don't. I was so worried when he was little since he ate a fraction of the bugs he was suppose to eat. And no, he really does hate me lol. I open his door and he tries to run or hide. Once I have him in my hand he settles down and seems okay. He hates baths which I had to give him a lot when he was little, and with his skin condition, I am always picking on him and syringe feeding meds. He still is not super into fruit though. He reminds me of a cat lol. Love on his terms

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Normally I do not post on here because I, 1) do not feel like I know as much as others here, and 2) do not spend my limited time browsing everything that is posted to this site. However, I recently posted to someone who said they had a hard time keeping the heat up in their tank. I did feel slightly attacked after my one comment that you do what you need to do to keep the heat up in a tank. Somehow my one comment because all about how I was doing wrong by using what I use for my dragon. I did stop posting on that thread since it was supposed to be about someone else, and not about how I tend to my own dragon.

Now I do appreciate all of the help that people receive on this site from those that do have more experience than I do. On the other hand, I do not like feeling attacked about how I care for my dragon. You are not in my house, my life, seeing what I have done to care for my beardie. You were not there during the sleepless nights, the panic attacks, and the thoughts of my not being the best person to take care of my pet. I did my research (which is very contradictory), I even posted on here when I was having health issues, and I have been to the local vet.

This post here is for everyone who has done their best to care for their dragon. Perhaps our best is not good enough, and sometimes **** just happens. But I want to say that at least you are trying. You are doing everything you can to make your beardie's life as great as you can. You are posting on here because you love your pet and you want them cared for as much as possible. You are amazing and I want you to always try.

For anyone that wants more information: my beardie story started when I learned that I developed an allergy to my own cat and dog, who I have had for 5-7 years. And these allergies are not just the sniffles, but full on hives when I touch them. I wanted a pet that I could actually touch and interact with. I did some research into different animals and my first thought was a snake. My wife kaboshed that real quick. So then I learned about beardies. They seemed very interesting and something that I could learn to really love and enjoy caring for. So we went to the store and bought everything I thought I needed and the dragon. Now, this store was in Colorado, so of course one stop shop. Brought him home and set him up late at night in our bedroom. The wife and I definitely could not sleep with the heat in his tank, so the next day moved him out to the main level. Now, we decided on the a lot of things before getting him: main level since that is where the thermostat is, our bedroom because it was the best place in the open concept house away from the many windows and front door, what we would feed him, his tank, accessories, how the cat and dog were going to be near him but not enough to cause him stress, etc.

I did learn very quickly that research can only get you so far. The bedroom did not work since we like our room colder so we can sleep, thus he was moved to the main level. Now, in our open concept home there were really only two options to place him: by the front door or by the extra freezer and partially into the hallway. We didn't want to hallway blocked, so front door it was. Since he was by the front door, we did the best we could to keep his heat up, and managed to maintain the correct temp for a year. During that year I had so many panic attacks and thoughts that I was the worst beardie mom and that I needed to give my dragon away to someone who knew what they were doing. He always ate his greens, but wasn't into bugs which is not good to a baby. He always seemed to hate me, never wanting to be touched, but rarely puffed the beard (only when he first met the cat).

He lost the tip of his tail due to shed not coming off properly and my scared to remove it thanks to the research I did. That was his first trip to the vet because I thought he had tail rot and may need his tail amputated at 5 months old. I also learned he has a skin condition that made it hard to shed his skin, and his skin would grow into large balls on his right arm, shoulder and neck, this was his second trip to the vet when I thought he had yellow fungus at 6 months old. This is when I really debated about my decision to get a dragon and that I was the worst, stupid, killing him and that I needed to get rid of him.

Thankfully my wife really fought to reassure me that I was doing my best. That I was researching, experimenting, learning, using resources like the vet and this forum, and growing closer to him. I have never given up a pet, and could never imagine giving up a part of the family. I finally got my head out of my a** and just did what I could.

Because of my rough experience, I do read the posts that come to my email from this forum, but I know I do not know everything and have only experienced my one dragon, so I don't feel like I need to add my two cents. So when I do add a comment, I did not appreciate the discussion suddenly being about what I am doing wrong, and not about helping the person who requested help/advice. Remember we have all been new to raising beardies and not all of us have the right answers, even if it seems like the people who post the most know it all. Each dragon is different, every home is different, every experience is different. There is no right answer. It is like having kids. Sometimes you need to cut toxic ties to be able to do what you feel is right.

My one take away from this long meandering post: You are doing your best. You are trying and that is all that can be done. Keep trying, keep learning and your beardie will be okay. **** happens and it sucks, but **** happens to people too. Genetics can get throw us for a loop and nothing can be done about some things. Just being on here is trying. Take a deep breath and know that you are enough for your dragon.

Attached is a pic of my big boy, Collins, who is just over 2 years old now.
I absolutely feel everything you are saying. I was reluctant to make an account on one of these things for a long time because I have seen how people can be and I was scared to be judged. I already judge myself hard enough and scare myself into thinking I'm not doing anything right or being a good enough mom for my bearded Loki. Thank you for posting this. I really think a lot of people can benefit by this post and be reminded WHY WE ARE ALL ON HERE. We need help sometimes too because we don't know it all. So thank you, I really loved and appreciated this post!

On another note, your Collins does not look like he hates you he looks pretty happy perched up there on your shoulder. I've only had one bearded (which is why I also don't comment on a lot of things or give me 2 cents) but I imagine every one is different just like people and how you said about situations and housing, so maybe he just takes a little more time and handling. A bit stubborn? Haha Did he come from someone else or are you his only owner?? That

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I absolutely feel everything you are saying. I was reluctant to make an account on one of these things for a long time because I have seen how people can be and I was scared to be judged. I already judge myself hard enough and scare myself into thinking I'm not doing anything right or being a good enough mom for my bearded Loki. Thank you for posting this. I really think a lot of people can benefit by this post and be reminded WHY WE ARE ALL ON HERE. We need help sometimes too because we don't know it all. So thank you, I really loved and appreciated this post!

On another note, your Collins does not look like he hates you he looks pretty happy perched up there on your shoulder. I've only had one bearded (which is why I also don't comment on a lot of things or give me 2 cents) but I imagine every one is different just like people and how you said about situations and housing, so maybe he just takes a little more time and handling. A bit stubborn? Haha Did he come from someone else or are you his only owner?? That
I am his only owner and got him really young. Mostly he hates me because he does have a skin condition and I have to literally pick on him. He can be content when ith me, but never as happy as so many claim. Yes, he is very stubborn and picky about a lot of things. I am glad you appreciated the post, and is why I wanted to post in the first place. Loki is a great name, hopefully he doesn't live up to his namesake too often lol.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
I am his only owner and got him really young. Mostly he hates me because he does have a skin condition and I have to literally pick on him. He can be content when ith me, but never as happy as so many claim. Yes, he is very stubborn and picky about a lot of things. I am glad you appreciated the post, and is why I wanted to post in the first place. Loki is a great name, hopefully he doesn't live up to his namesake too often lol.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Well that is good to know. At least we know that he hasn't been abused or tormented or anything like that. That's always my biggest worry for them. And also that people don't really know what it takes to actually take care of them because there's a lot that goes into it! More than people think, myself included.

Anyways, bearded dragons are pretty territorial from what I've heard so maybe he's just like that when he's in his enclosure. My boyfriend has a chameleon and I know these two animals are nothing alike in fact they're quite opposite but he is very territorial in his cage and he will hiss and try to bite and try to hit us with his body whenever we put our hands in there no matter how slow we go he'll start to do that but once we get him out he's perfectly fine. I mean hes still kind of nervous but not aggressive. So I don't know, maybe it's something like that I'm not sure but it was just a thought. I'm definitely no expert so don't quote me haha

Aw thank you haha yeah actually funny story. When I named him I hadn't even seen that movie so I just chose the name on a whim. My mom was the one who told me that so now knowing more about that character he kind of can be like that sometimes but for the most part he's super chill and just calm. He can be kind of sassy tho.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He mostly hates bath time and when I have to pick on his skin. Last bath he hissed and puffed up, which was when I stopped picking on him. I also have taken him to daycare centers, which he is okay with as long as the kids aren't too loud and abnoxious.

I named my cat after a demon from Buffy, and now she embodies that demon mentality occassionally. When I yell at her and use her full name, she freezes and runs lol.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
Aww poor baby:( at least he has someone like you to take care of it for him! You take him to daycare? What do you mean? What for?

That's funny. I love it when people or animals totally grow into their names! Cats are funny.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww poor baby:( at least he has someone like you to take care of it for him! You take him to daycare? What do you mean? What for?

That's funny. I love it when people or animals totally grow into their names! Cats are funny.
I took him to my son's daycare because they were doing an animal segment. Then I took him to the daycare I am currently working at since I have shown so many of the kids his picture. He gets a ton of attention when he does go out.

Love.my.Loki

Hatchling Dragon
I took him to my son's daycare because they were doing an animal segment. Then I took him to the daycare I am currently working at since I have shown so many of the kids his picture. He gets a ton of attention when he does go out.
That's super cool. Loki is super popular as well when we go out. He gets all the attention all the time and whenever I don't have him with me people are always asking about him.

Latest posts