• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Last second question about substrate.

Dray

Hatchling Dragon
So we are planning on upgrading out guys tank tomorrow to a full size rest of his life style tank. He has a wall mounted heating mat with a reptisun 10.0 ho lamp and ceramic night heater as our house is always cold. High 60's in summer and winter. Basement will be chillier in winter. I was mildy interested in changing his flooring to sand but am still concerned about him eating in, I feel like he would enjoy a more natural habitat more but he just swapped his food from crickets to dubias. Thoughts?? Sorry for the last minute question!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sand isn't really natural to them, there is none where they come from. If you really want a natural look you can get an outback mix, which is like a clay soil, with a much lower impaction risk. It works out very expensive everytime it needs changing though. I tried it for a while when I got my dragons. Soon got sick of it getting everywhere and in everything though. Now I just have a bag of excavator clay on standby in case I need to make a dig box for my female

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The wall mounted heating pad is useless. It's going to heat the glass and not much else. Your bearded dragon can still burn his belly on a wall mounted, if he falls asleep standing up. You can get a high wattage basking bulb and use a CHE if you can't keep temps up. Honestly though, I wouldn't bring any animal into my house if I couldn't compromise and keep the house comfortable for it too.