• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kind of new with bearded dragons. Help please!

Matthew Edwards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got this one. Few days ago. Spent quiet a bit on more lights and etc. I'm not sure about age or sex. Can't really mess with it yet because previous owner never handled it. I'm having trouble with heat. I have the bulbs in the picture plus the one that came with it which is 50 watt and I believe a murcery light. The temps aren't even reaching 90° and I only keep it 70 in my house. I bought a uvb tube bulb but having trouble finding a fixture. I just want to make sure everything is ok with its tank. The lights have been on for little over 2 hours and the temp gauge on the glass is about 83° and 30% humidity. I can't seem to get it to 90 and I know the lights should be enough. Any tips or anything I should change please let me know. I've spent least 300 on everything and can't seem to get the environment right
c3d109ab9a531af6399d770bf67d2690.jpg
db5cd857e15b23988d0970d1805cdc8a.jpg
5fe0f2ed04a798940887c1d4522bcaa5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you only using the gauge on the glass to temp it?? First try a IR gun as they are more accurate.. You can take back the colored bulbs as those cause eye damage over time as they don't allow their pupils to function correctly and the red lamps at night keep them from fully sleeping.

Matthew Edwards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you only using the gauge on the glass to temp it?? First try a IR gun as they are more accurate.. You can take back the colored bulbs as those cause eye damage over time as they don't allow their pupils to function correctly and the red lamps at night keep them from fully sleeping.
Well one is blue and the night is red. I have a halogen or murcery,Not sure which, to help warm the cage. Also I'm having trouble finding a fixture for the 5.0 uvb bulb. Is it ok if I just buy a screw type uvb? I'll borrow a ir gun from work.

Matthew Edwards

Bearded Dragon Egg
She has been sleeping fine with the red bulb. The local pet shop says it's fine for them but they're also not the most educated obviously.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you check this link out it goes over everything you may need for your new one..
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/

I would get a different fixture for the UVB you want a strip lighting (so a long uvb bulb) most of us use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 fixture/bulb. The coil UVB bulbs are not a good source of UVB and is not good on their eyes as it's too focused in a small area.
Yea petstore people recommend the items that they are told to say and most don't know proper care.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Colored lights during the day don't allow their pupils to constrict properly and over time can burn their retinas. At night they need a period of complete darkness and cool to help reset their body and their brain. The darkness at night also helps their body further synthesize D3 and calcium to it's maximum benefits.

As far as your tube UVB, if you got a T8 bulb you can get a general fixture from the hardware store and mount it inside the tank as high overhead as you can get it. A T5 bulb needs a fixture with a reflector, you can try PetMountain or Dr. Foster Smith or even Amazon for one. You really want to use a 10.0 Reptisun bulb or a 12% Arcadia bulb for UVB. The 5.0 bulb doesn't give off enough UVB for a bearded dragon. A compact UVB bulb is okay to use a a temporary fix until you get the proper fixture but don't use a coil bulb.

Hdrydr31 is right about the analog temp gauge on the glass. It only measures the temp of the glass and the area right near the gauge. Nowhere near where your dragon is actually sitting. Get a digital probe thermometer or better yet an IR temp gun. Temp guns usually run around $10-$15.