• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

kidney disease

Mother of Dragons 90

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, I know this is super long. I would really appreciate if people can read this and give me any feedback.

I have two bearded dragons, Bitsy and Balerion. They are both around 7-8 months old. I got them at a reptile expo in February when they were around 3-4 months old.

Bitsy got sick around 2.5 months ago. She wasn't eating well, growing, shedding etc. I knew something was wrong because Balerion was developing just fine.
I went to a vet and he found a small growth type thing on her face. Vet thought it might be puss and an infecton and we started oral antibiotics. That didn't help.
Her arms and fingers started to swell up too. We then did an x-ray and blood work and started her on injection antibiotics.
X-ray came back clear other than seeing the swelling on her face and arms. Blood work came back showing that her kidneys weren't breaking down the uric acid and it was staying in her body causing all the swelling.
I did everything the vet said to do and it kept getting worse.
Recently her body started to get crooked. She didn't shed or grow at all.
She is perky and alert though. She does have a hard time moving around and did fall on her back a couple of times and couldn't get up.
I went to the vet again today and he said she's most likely in pain. He said she's tolerating it well for now which is why she's still perky, but that could change at any time. He said its getting worse and another bump is forming on her face. Her legs are swollen now too. Its also why shes crooked. It's most likely kidney disease.

So now my options are to put her down, keep her until she goes on her own (which I wouldn't want to do if she's in pain), or go ahead with getting treatment. The vet doesn't recommend this. He feels she's so young and can't grow and doesn't feel like treatment would do her any good.

Does anyone have experience with this? Before I make a decision, I would love some feedback from people who know bearded dragons well or from anyone who's been through this. I guess I would like to feel like I've done as much research as I can before deciding such a big thing.

Thank you so much for reading this.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
aww, sorry to hear this. Making that decision is tough, same for any pet we put our time and love into. Your vet didnt say exactly what the diagnosis was, but could it be severe gout? The kidney not processing uric acid, leads to it building up in the body, it causes swelling in the extremities. I dunno...im no vet and have no experience of this personally, but infection and antibiotics sound like a vet standard go-to for when they dont know.
Im sorry, this doesnt detract from the hard choice you have to make ,but I think I would need to know more. Any other reptile vets near you?

Mother of Dragons 90

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Originally he wasn't sure so he gave her the antibiotics and then continued with stronger antibiotics.

I think its a good idea to see another vet. He does work with reptiles and there's not many around where I live. I will look a little farther out though to see if I can find someone else. Thanks! I spent hundreds of dollars on the vet since she wont be approved for insurance.

If anyone else has any ideas/suggestions/experience please let me know.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ugh, I hate this. I'm sorry that you are in this position to make a decision like this. I have always been a believer in doing whatever it takes but when it comes to kidney issues or liver, there really is no coming back from that. If you treat it, that means you are going to give medicine every day for the rest of her life. She's already in pain, do you want to do that to her? Giving medicine daily to an animal will take it's toll on you mentally too (could be why I feel the way I do). I had a cat that I had to give sub q fluids to every day and she fought me and I was mentally exhausted. What did I get out of it, just another 6 months with her before he liver eventually failed. I also had to give my dragon intramuscular antibiotics on and off for a year. It was very hard and it was useless because the antibiotics didn't help.

Only you know how bad she really is. You have to listen to that voice deep down in you heart, the one that knows best. Will treating her give her any quality of life? Or would treating her be selfish and only to give you more time with her?

Mother of Dragons 90

Bearded Dragon Egg
I definitely hear and can appreciate that. My main concern is to do what's best for her.
I'm grateful for the feedback and hope to continue to do some more research and speak to people and then make a decision.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would get another opinion exotic vet wise and see what they say about treatment for her. It will I think will come down to what your heart is saying and what her body language is telling you.. I'm sorry your in this position it really sucks and is painful I know as I just lost my 1st dragon Izzy last month..