• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping other animals with him (temporary)

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
i need opinions!
so im moving in a couple weeks and just had to tear down my closed chamber for my redfoot tortoise. hes small for sure, but hes in a 40 breeder right now (my old beardie tank) with no heat whatsoever cause i dont have an extra basking bulb for him. i have a 4’x2’ closed tank that my bearded dragon is in currently and i was wondering if i could put them together? his tank is using a 75% organic soil and 25% play sand mixture. the humidity is high at about 60-80% (high i know, but hes used to it) and the temps are on a gradient from 80° on cool side to 95° on hot side ive had them together in the 4’x8’ tank together and theyve never bothered eachother and theyve even ate side by side. this would only be temporary for a couple weeks, i just feel bad with how cold it drops in my room. i feed them the same things and my beardie eats his insects outside his tank daily

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wish I could help you on this one but I am not sure how it would go.. I don't think it would be horrible for a short term, However I don't know if they can be housed together...

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Wish I could help you on this one but I am not sure how it would go.. I don't think it would be horrible for a short term, However I don't know if they can be housed together...
substrate consistency, temps, and humidity are pretty much the same, ive never seen them go after eachother before and im home pretty much all the time to monitor them. i know the humidity is high for the beardie but the breeder i got him from kept them outside in missouri with high humidity and told me hed do fine.. which he has for about a year. the tortoise doesnt do much besides hide, eat, and go in circles around the enclosure because its too small compared to what he’s used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
also, tonight im gonna put a temp controller and a CHE in his tank because the past few nights his tank has dropped to mid 60s and i know i cant leave the basking light on all night

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
substrate consistency, temps, and humidity are pretty much the same, ive never seen them go after eachother before and im home pretty much all the time to monitor them. i know the humidity is high for the beardie but the breeder i got him from kept them outside in missouri with high humidity and told me hed do fine.. which he has for about a year. the tortoise doesnt do much besides hide, eat, and go in circles around the enclosure because its too small compared to what he’s used to

well then I would only wonder if there is anything that can be transferred between them parasite wise..

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
well then I would only wonder if there is anything that can be transferred between them parasite wise..
people on the tortoise forum is attacking me because of that.. like i was just asking. plus ive had them introduced to eachother since april, and nothings happened. like once-twice a week to clean my beardies tank and neither of them have showed any illness

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
people on the tortoise forum is attacking me because of that.. like i was just asking. plus ive had them introduced to eachother since april, and nothings happened. like once-twice a week to clean my beardies tank and neither of them have showed any illness

Sorry you got attacked for asking a question... I guess I would say you may not visually see any changes in them so I guess if it were me I would get fecals done afterwards to make sure that they didn't pass anything to eachother..as with your substrate could hold things in it and since beardies lick their environment parasites could transfer ....

So all in all you know your critters, keep really good husbandry, have them vetted to ensure things afterwards...I know it's not an ideal situation but things happen.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry you got attacked for asking a question... I guess I would say you may not visually see any changes in them so I guess if it were me I would get fecals done afterwards to make sure that they didn't pass anything to eachother..as with your substrate could hold things in it and since beardies lick their environment parasites could transfer ....

So all in all you know your critters, keep really good husbandry, have them vetted to ensure things afterwards...I know it's not an ideal situation but things happen.

considering the substrate is literally two days old and he hasnt even pooped in it yet im not too concerned, i mean he’s licked my torts substrate before and nothing has happened. any ideas on how much fecals would cost? are they included in general check ups?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
i think i might just switch out what tanks they’re in for now due to being nervous, only issue is uvb

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
considering the substrate is literally two days old and he hasnt even pooped in it yet im not too concerned, i mean he’s licked my torts substrate before and nothing has happened. any ideas on how much fecals would cost? are they included in general check ups?

I can only say what my vet cost it was only 20 bucks some vets will do it without a general check up as long as they have seen the critter before.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I can only say what my vet cost it was only 20 bucks some vets will do it without a general check up as long as they have seen the critter before.
my vet hasnt seen either of them before, they wanted $60 just to cut nails for my beardie cause they needed to do a check up first. i ended up just sucking it up and doing it myself. switching the tank still leaves the problem of how cold it gets at night

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my vet hasnt seen either of them before, they wanted $60 just to cut nails for my beardie cause they needed to do a check up first. i ended up just sucking it up and doing it myself. switching the tank still leaves the problem of how cold it gets at night

the office visit for my vet is $50 which for a exotic isn't bad at all..

As far as the night time coldness do you have a CHE? always good to have on hand for those cold nights anyways.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
the office visit for my vet is $50 which for a exotic isn't bad at all..

As far as the night time coldness do you have a CHE? always good to have on hand for those cold nights anyways.

yeah i have a che, i have 3 of them actually. i was gonna put one in my beardies enclosed tank and theyre too big for the domes that i have so i didnt know if it was okay to directly stand it on the screen top for my 40 breeder which the tort is in. worst case scenario i just put them together for nights, my tort just might go into hibernation

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah i have a che, i have 3 of them actually. i was gonna put one in my beardies enclosed tank and theyre too big for the domes that i have so i didnt know if it was okay to directly stand it on the screen top for my 40 breeder which the tort is in. worst case scenario i just put them together for nights, my tort just might go into hibernation

I don't think you can rest them on the screen top think they get too hot. Have you tried chicken brooder lamp fixtures? they have a ceramic fixture/metal dome and they are WAY cheaper than what you get in the petstores.better quality I think too... OR hang it somehow

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I don't think you can rest them on the screen top think they get too hot. Have you tried chicken brooder lamp fixtures? they have a ceramic fixture/metal dome and they are WAY cheaper than what you get in the petstores.better quality I think too... OR hang it somehow
i was trying to figure out a way to hang it but i couldnt think of anything at the moment. ill have to check and see if i can find any of my metal domes, i think i have a larger one somewhere i still just think for some reason that the CHE is too long for the dome

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
96e3ffb7aa7b1a78d0861a12620139b0.jpg

definitely think i need better, this is what 7-8 months of constant CHE heat does

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i was trying to figure out a way to hang it but i couldnt think of anything at the moment. ill have to check and see if i can find any of my metal domes, i think i have a larger one somewhere i still just think for some reason that the CHE is too long for the dome

They do sell dome stands that are adjustable
the chicken brooders are more flared than the regular dome fixtures.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
They do sell dome stands that are adjustable
the chicken brooders are more flared than the regular dome fixtures.
he is so evil, i have his tank open a bit to let him explore cause my room is so bare minus some clothes he hasnt left his tank all day except he just left his tank, took the biggest poop of his life, then went back into his tank

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he is so evil, i have his tank open a bit to let him explore cause my room is so bare minus some clothes he hasnt left his tank all day except he just left his tank, took the biggest poop of his life, then went back into his tank

sounds about right lol