• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping humidity in Dubia roaches enclosure

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My roaches are staying alive but not breeding. I have adults and have ordered more. I think the problem is the humidity levels so I was wondering how those of you who breed them keep the humidity levels up?

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would spray the tank, or you could get a Cup of water, put a lid on it and poke holes in it, put a heat source under it and let the water evaporate to make humidity, or you could buy one of those cheap humidifiers for Chameleons if you feel the humidity needs to go higher.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I finally have baby roaches! I never thought I would be happy to have baby roaches. My husband is not crazy about the idea. The guys at work all agree with him breeding roaches is not a good idea lol. I was not keeping them warm enough. I was keeping them in a cool room just in case they escaped but they were just surviving hanging out on the heat mat. As soon as I moved them into a warmer room were most of my reptiles are they started having babies.Confession I can't believe I thought they were cute. What has life become. Now to keep the kids from spilling the beans when guest come that I have roaches in the covered tank.:confused:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I tried again, I can't do roaches! They are too fast for me I'm afraid they are going to get out! The ones that I just got for Luci actually can CLIMB GLASS! I was keeping them in the basement thinking the coolness would slow them down and they wouldn't breed. Well yesterday I went to feed him and I saw a little tiny white baby in the cup! I sealed the cup up right away and got rid of them :( I am such a chicken LOL!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hahaha too funny. Ya there are only a couple species that cant climb glass, and they are also the slow ones.

In answer to the humidity question, you can just put a layer of soil down when you first get the colony. That will give them a substrate and also add humidity. Then as the colony grows the frass will form and retain humidity for you. Remember, you dont want to clean out the tubs very often. The small ones eat the wastes of the larger ones, so the dirtier the bin, the happier theyll be. I clean mine twice a year, just to give you an idea

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh wow. And no smell? I just got mine and put them in their tub. Got some babies so that's good. I didn't put anything on the bottom though. @jarich, do you use cleaners at all?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I tend to clean based on the smell actually. When its time to do a clean out I can tell as it starts to smell a bit like ammonia. Thats usually around the 5-6 month mark.

I dont have cleaners on purpose, no. I did get some grain beetles in at some point a couple years ago, but they arent really cleaners so much as slightly annoying roommates. They arent an issue, they just have a tendency to eat up a good amount of the dry food I put in for the roaches. I have some small house geckos that live in my monitor enclosure though, so Ive started giving them to the geckos.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hahaha too funny. Ya there are only a couple species that cant climb glass, and they are also the slow ones.

In answer to the humidity question, you can just put a layer of soil down when you first get the colony. That will give them a substrate and also add humidity. Then as the colony grows the frass will form and retain humidity for you. Remember, you dont want to clean out the tubs very often. The small ones eat the wastes of the larger ones, so the dirtier the bin, the happier theyll be. I clean mine twice a year, just to give you an idea

Thanks I will do that. That was another mistake I was making cleaning out the tank monthly.

Toni17

Hatchling Dragon
How long did it take for the dubia roaches to breed? I'm about to go crazy with waiting. These beardies are expensive to feed. I hope my colony will breed soon.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How long did it take for the dubia roaches to breed? I'm about to go crazy with waiting. These beardies are expensive to feed. I hope my colony will breed soon.

It took a few months :( but I think I wasn't keeping them warm enough.They like it really warm!!

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
this is my second try at roaches. Before I only had a ten gallon I was keeping some 50 roaches in and they only got to an inch longer after 4 months so I fed them off. Now I have a kit and hoping the heat and humidity of Texas summer will get them going. I also provide a wet hide so molting is easier and also ups the humidity. I find molted shells in the wet rag constantly and white, newly molted roaches running around. Heat and humidity seem to play a big part. Also having many different sizes. Thankfully they don't kill each other like crickets do. And no smell! Just another bonus.