• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenille Male and Female: Is it Safe to House them Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all,
I myself do not have any bearded dragons (though I would love some oneday!), but some friends of mine have recently purchased two juvenilles, one male and one female. They are currently housing them together in a large vivarium, capable of housing two adults.

So far, they seem happy, but my reading on the internet about caring for beardies has raised some concern over whether it is safe to keep these to together - specifically, that there might be agression between the two or early mating which might cause the female to become egg bound.

Would very much appreciate advice from you more experienced folks - would hate to see anything happen to these two gorgeous little ones!

Thanks!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Brenna and welcome to our forum.

You have done some excellent research. I am in agreement with all of your concerns. We humans like to put human characteristics to our beloved pets. Beardies are not social creatures. Well, they are not social with each other. They like to watch us humans and our antics.

On a serious note, it is known that beardies housed together in captivity is not a good combination. As you stated, one can become extremely agressive, which will cause the other to stop eating and go into a form of stress. This form of stress will most likely lead to death. I have to paint such an ugly picture, but it is not recommended to house any beardies together.

Although, there are success stories regarding this, they are the minority.

Also, it is not good to mate beardies too early.

I would recommend that your friends separate the two dragons quickly. If they can't get another viv right away, they can place a piece of cardboard in the middle of their current one. The point is for the two bearded dragons not to see each other.

I hope this helps and good luck explaining this to your friends!

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh, you should get one of these little guys. Bearded dragons are so much fun!

I'm in agreement with everyone. What I know, they should not be housed together...whether they are both sexes or opposite! Tell your friends to separate them soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.