• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile Snacks?

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
I want some good, bad snacks for Scraggy after he's had his bath and poop, and is hanging out with me. you know, to help with bonding. I've been doing (a lot of) some research and cant find any specifics as to what could be good for a lil one. I've seen some advice on here that certain worms are irresistable to a dragon, and contain a bit more fat. However, It has also been cautioned that they tend to have a tick and tough shell making it difficult for the younger ones to digest.

Any suggestions?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
silk worms, aka beardie crack. They are soft bodied so chitin isnt a problem, however they need to be fed in moderation, as with most worms. I think the tough shelled ones you mention are probably meal worms, I would avoid feeding those altogether. You can also use small (juvie) superworms or phoenix worms (aka calciworms, reptiworms).
All of these are quite high in fat, if you feed too many then you can expect runny stinking poops the next day. If used as part of a varied diet though they are fine

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
what about waxworms? none of the stores near me sell any of those. (superworms, but when I asked for juveniles, they said, "yes, we have mealworms")

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Waxworms and butterworms are the Beardie crack item that can be fed only as a treat as they LOVE them.. Superworms, phoenix worms, silkworms, hornworms are all good items.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
aren't horn worms a bit too big for such a little guy tho?
you can get the hornworms that are "babies" themselves, they are mostly liquid so when they are eaten they "deflate" that's why they are really good for hydration. Too many will cause runny poop. If you keep them in a cool spot they don't grow as fast, however if not they are fast growers..

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
follow-up question: should your treat worms be gutloaded? trying to decide if I should just pop em in the fridge until I need them or keep them in their own container all squiggly and happy-like.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
EDIT: well, I gave him a wax worm and he spit it out, then kept licking like he was getting a bad taste out of his mouth lol well, I'll try again after his bath.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
EDIT: yeah, he licked one, and didn't go for it. Maybe he wasn't hungry? nope. hand fed him some roaches for dinner. oh well, guess that was a waste of money

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
follow-up question: should your treat worms be gutloaded? trying to decide if I should just pop em in the fridge until I need them or keep them in their own container all squiggly and happy-like.
Just depends on your feeding schedule.. i keep waxworms in cool basement, butterworms in butter area of door.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Mine goes crazy for hornworms, which is nice because they are pretty healthy. As far as beardie crack, he's a demon for butterworms and superworms- both which last a really long time, as opposed to the hornworms which grow so darn fast I can barely feed them in time.