• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile- Live feed guidance

Joie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
My family adopted a juvenile bearded dragon just over a month ago, I believe she's about 8 months right now. Having a reptile as a pet is a new experience for us. Even after many google searches, I'm really struggling to figure out an appropriate feeding schedule for her. Google feedback is all over the board between.. for example..I've read to only give her live feed in the morning, feed 10 roaches 3 times/day, and as many roaches as she'll eat in 10 minutes 3 times/day. Her primary live feed is dubia roaches but I also mix in meal worm, nutrigrubs, and horn worm.
Initially, I went with the approach of letting her eat as much as he could in 5-10 minutes, 3 times/day. But after just a couple days of this she began to look very fat/bloated in the stomach. Since then I've been cutting down on how much I feed her. She doesn't eat very much of the salad I give her (I've been changing the contents up frequently to try and figure out if there's some she'd like more than others, and put worms in the salad) which maybe does mean that she's eating too much live feed? But I'm also really afraid of underfeeding her.

Any advice here would be appreciated. Even if it's just to send me to a blog that helps spell out an appropriate amount of food for an 8 month old. Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
My family adopted a juvenile bearded dragon just over a month ago, I believe she's about 8 months right now. Having a reptile as a pet is a new experience for us. Even after many google searches, I'm really struggling to figure out an appropriate feeding schedule for her. Google feedback is all over the board between.. for example..I've read to only give her live feed in the morning, feed 10 roaches 3 times/day, and as many roaches as she'll eat in 10 minutes 3 times/day. Her primary live feed is dubia roaches but I also mix in meal worm, nutrigrubs, and horn worm.
Initially, I went with the approach of letting her eat as much as he could in 5-10 minutes, 3 times/day. But after just a couple days of this she began to look very fat/bloated in the stomach. Since then I've been cutting down on how much I feed her. She doesn't eat very much of the salad I give her (I've been changing the contents up frequently to try and figure out if there's some she'd like more than others, and put worms in the salad) which maybe does mean that she's eating too much live feed? But I'm also really afraid of underfeeding her.

Any advice here would be appreciated. Even if it's just to send me to a blog that helps spell out an appropriate amount of food for an 8 month old. Thanks!
here is a website for nutrition -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
You were right in the feeding as much as he will eat in 10 min -- but he really needs to be eating salad now too - when he turns a year he needs salads every day plus insects 2-3 times per week the ratio is going to flip more salad less bugs --- I would cut back on the meal worms -the nutri grubs are another good staple feeder - if you think hes gaining too much weight I am gonna say its the meal worms -- at 8 months old he needs the protein --- are you dusting the roaches? He needs calcium D3 once per feeding dusting the insects ONCE per day 5 x per week - and a multi vitamin w/ beta carotene 2 x per week dusting ONCE per day-- you can get a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams -- a good weight for a adult dragon is over 300 grams -- I have two males and they are both over 400 grams - what are you using for a UVB? This is going to tell you how much calcium he needs after a year old ---