• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile beardie has coccidia...?

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
I got a bearded dragon in May, his name is Spike. I recently took him to the vet for a check up and he is healthy! However, his stool sample came back positive for coccidia. I am unsure of his exact age, but the vet thinks he is no more than 4 months old. He had runny stool on and off for a couple of weeks, and that is why I took him to the vet, but he has had healthy stool for the past few weeks or so, no symptoms that he is sick and has a big appetite!
I keep looking things up and keep seeing how this could be life threatening to juveniles. I hope I caught this on time and I'm hoping he will be okay!
The vet gave me ponazuril and I disinfected his tank, hammock, water and food bowls, etc.
Did I catch it in time for it to become life threatening?
Any advice is appreciated.
image.jpg

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Runny stool can not always be present in beardies with coccidia. I remember my girl Cleopatra had solid healthy looking poop when I first got her and was gaining weight easily (she came in as a rescue). So it was definitely surprising to hear that she did have coccidia and quite the moderate case of it. If he’s looking overall healthy and showing no sign of being very sick or malnourished than you definitely did. Just keep up with the treatment and don’t miss a dose of it and when the entire treatment is over make sure you get another fecal sample done just to make sure that your beardie is parasite free. And coccidia itself can be life threatening due to the fact that it takes nutrition away from the host, so the worse the case is the more nutrients is taken away. So if the coccidia itself got worse your beardie would slowly be starving to death getting weaker and weaker from the lack of nutrients it would not be getting. I hope this helps and that I didn’t scare you in any way

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Runny stool can not always be present in beardies with coccidia. I remember my girl Cleopatra had solid healthy looking poop when I first got her and was gaining weight easily (she came in as a rescue). So it was definitely surprising to hear that she did have coccidia and quite the moderate case of it. If he’s looking overall healthy and showing no sign of being very sick or malnourished than you definitely did. Just keep up with the treatment and don’t miss a dose of it and when the entire treatment is over make sure you get another fecal sample done just to make sure that your beardie is parasite free. And coccidia itself can be life threatening due to the fact that it takes nutrition away from the host, so the worse the case is the more nutrients is taken away. So if the coccidia itself got worse your beardie would slowly be starving to death getting weaker and weaker from the lack of nutrients it would not be getting. I hope this helps and that I didn’t scare you in any way
Thank you, actually this made me feel better knowing I probably got it in time!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
I got a bearded dragon in May, his name is Spike. I recently took him to the vet for a check up and he is healthy! However, his stool sample came back positive for coccidia. I am unsure of his exact age, but the vet thinks he is no more than 4 months old. He had runny stool on and off for a couple of weeks, and that is why I took him to the vet, but he has had healthy stool for the past few weeks or so, no symptoms that he is sick and has a big appetite!
I keep looking things up and keep seeing how this could be life threatening to juveniles. I hope I caught this on time and I'm hoping he will be okay!
The vet gave me ponazuril and I disinfected his tank, hammock, water and food bowls, etc.
Did I catch it in time for it to become life threatening?
Any advice is appreciated.View attachment 28539
In order to get rid of the coccidia you need to take the carpet out use paper towels for now any extra decor I would get rid of the hammock as well use only good decor that you can sanitize every time he goes to the bathroom - you need a disinfectant like Zoo Meds Wipe Out or Rescue or F 10 for every day cleaning - it is very hard to get rid of do this till hes off the meds --- it may effect the appetite it may not --